Which HC hire are you most and least impressed by?

notthatbluestuff

9 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

So like my question is what changed? You missed on Johnson, Macdonald, and Slowik for Quinn. You said you would be pissed off if that happened. Now you are in every thread defending the hire...

So I guess my question is why aren't you pissed off? And why are you going to bat for a guy that a week ago you said would piss you off if they hired him?

I’m not looping in Slowick for what it’s worth. I think we were interested but the consensus from everyone seems to be “he’s too green”. I’m with your opinion on the others though. but I’m not sure Slowick was a legit option. 

20 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I’m not looping in Slowick for what it’s worth. I think we were interested but the consensus from everyone seems to be “he’s too green”. I’m with your opinion on the others though. but I’m not sure Slowick was a legit option. 

I am just confused about his stance in particular since he previously said he would be pissed off if you landed with Quinn and now he seems to be going to battle for him. Fwiw I like Slowik a lot, but I get the hesitation on his experience to this point.

Also I don't think Quinn is a bad hire. I think it's bland, but I don't think it is terrible. I am definitely worried about the offensive side of the ball, because we saw what happened in ATL after Kyle left... but I do think he could be a solid culture guy and right the ship defensively. Just want to understand why he changed his stance on Quinn so quickly.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I am just confused about his stance in particular since he previously said he would be pissed off if you landed with Quinn and now he seems to be going to battle for him. Fwiw I like Slowik a lot, but I get the hesitation on his experience to this point.

Also I don't think Quinn is a bad hire. I think it's bland, but I don't think it is terrible. I am definitely worried about the offensive side of the ball, because we saw what happened in ATL after Kyle left... but I do think he could be a solid culture guy and right the ship defensively. Just want to understand why he changed his stance on Quinn so quickly.

Because I’m being lazy

ChipKelly.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

So like my question is what changed? You missed on Johnson, Macdonald, and Slowik for Quinn. You said you would be pissed off if that happened. Now you are in every thread defending the hire...

So I guess my question is why aren't you pissed off? And why are you going to bat for a guy that a week ago you said would piss you off if they hired him?

This is the first thread where I’m “defending the Quinn hire” (I’ll get to that later). In the other threads, I was defending the Commanders’ search process and providing receipts from sources I trust as to how it all went down. At the end of the day, their original #1 option didn’t interview well, had high salary demands and ended up pulling out before his second interview. I don’t see how any blame falls on the team for that, so I can’t be pissed off there. 

With Slowik, it’s clear that he was never a serious candidate for Washington or anyone else; he waited until he realized he wasn’t going to be under serious consideration anywhere before going back to Houston. He needs another year at least from what I read/heard. And the more I read about his quiet, unassuming personality, the more questions I had about his leadership ability (similar to Johnson, honestly).  In hindsight, the Commanders clearly care much more about leadership talent than they do about hiring the next offensive wonderkid. As a fan, I had limited insight into who these offensive gurus were as leaders and was putting them high on my wish list based on their offensive playcalling whereas the team obviously had more insight into the soft skills that would or wouldn’t make them successful. And now that I know more about those concerns, I won’t say I still wouldn’t take the risk, but I’d be a lot more wary and can see why the Commanders had legit questions about these guys. 

I will say, I was disappointed we didn’t hire Macdonald given we ended up going the defensive-minded HC route. I was willing to take the risk of going with the unproven guy from a leadership and culture-building perspective because there’s no perceived ceiling based on past performance.  But he clearly had his heart set on Seattle, and we seemed perfectly happy to go with either him or Quinn (for different reasons), so I don’t have much room to be pissed off at the team there from a process standpoint. 

Back to Quinn.  After I posted the message you quoted, I did a lot more research on Quinn and learned more about the details of his career, whereas before I only knew the surface level stuff fans typically know about coaches not on their teams. Then I read this article from a Seahawks blog: https://www.hawkblogger.com/2024/01/dan-quinn-is-better-than-you-think.html

That addressed a lot of my concerns when it came to him, and now I’m a lot more open-minded. But as I said when the hire was announced, his choice for OC and QB coach is HUGE for me, and will likely feel either much better or much worse about the hire depending on the offensive staff he puts in place. 

I also began seeing all the endorsements he was getting from players, coaches and others around the league, especially as it relates to his leadership ability. Also, in the context of having new ownership, a first-time GM and likely a rookie QB, it is good to know we have someone with legitimate experience in the building that will have a voice in the room. It also doesn’t hurt he ranked top 5 in DVOA every year he was the primary defensive playcaller and had legit, healthy players on his defense. 

Is he the sexy hire? Hell no. But he may be the right one - like drafting an OL in round 1 isn’t sexy, but it may be the e best choice if you need that stability. 

TL;DR - I learned more about what actually went down during our search process. I learned more about Dan Quinn and what made him attractive to us. Do I wish there was an offensive-minded HC available that met our primary criteria? Yes. But I’m willing to give this thing a chance, especially if we hire a strong OC and QB coach. 

When it comes to rankings, I have it:

1. Seattle Seahawks - Mike Macdonald
  2. Carolina Panthers - Dave Canales
  3. Los Angeles Chargers - Jim Harbaugh
  4. Atlanta Falcons - Raheem Morris
  5. Las Vegas Raiders - Antonio Pierce
  6. Tennessee Titans - Brian Callahan
  7. New England Patriots - Jerod Mayo

I’m excluding the Commanders because it can fluctuate so much for me personally based on the offensive staff. 

46 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

Also, this narrative that quiet sort spoken men can't be leaders is one of the laziest narratives I've ever heard.  Leaders come in all different shapes, sizes, personalities, etc.

You need to motivate guys. Quiet ones lead by examples. You need guys who are going to challenge you. You’re right in a way but idk can you name me examples of the quiet guys doing really good? 

Best on Paper

Los Angeles Chargers - Jim Harbaugh
Seattle Seahawks - Mike Macdonald
Tennessee Titans - Brian Callahan
Carolina Panthers - Dave Canales
Washington Commanders - Dan Quinn
Atlanta Falcons - Raheem Morris
Las Vegas Raiders - Antonio Pierce
New England Patriots - Jerod Mayo

Worst on Paper

imo

Trying to look at the staffs they’re putting in place to determine how I’d rank them. With the info that is out there:

1. Mike MacDonald - Seattle

- Need to see who is OC is but I think he’s a great fit out there and adding Frazier to his staff gives him a trusted right hand man.

2. Raheem Morris - Atlanta

- I like this this hire more than most. I especially like the Zac Robinson OC hire. The division is a mess so Atlanta can easily win it in year 1 under Morris.

3. Jim Harbaugh - LAC

- I love Jim. I’m a big fan of Minter. But I refuse to let myself buy into Herbert and the Chargers again in February until something actually changes.

4. Dave Canales - Carolina

- I think he’s a great offensive mind and I like that they kept their DC in place. Just not sure how long it all last with that owner.

Not enough info yet:

Brian Callahan - Tennessee

- rookie HC, rookie DC and maybe a rookie QB? Just a lot of unknown right now. I love the hiring of Bill for the OL though.

Dan Quinn - Washington

- underwhelming because of the names linked to them and the hype after Peters became GM. His OC hire is what will really matter. But then again, that OC could be a HC somewhere else in a few years. 

Not a fan:

Antonio Pierce - Raiders

- Made perfect sense to retain him. It’s big that they kept Graham as DC. But Kingsbury as OC seems like a disaster.

Jerod Mayo - Patriots 

- Mayo could be a great HC. But this feels like trying to run it back with the Patriot Way minus the QB and HOF HC. I do think AVP is solid. 

6 hours ago, El Ramster said:

You need to motivate guys. Quiet ones lead by examples. You need guys who are going to challenge you. You’re right in a way but idk can you name me examples of the quiet guys doing really good? 

Andy Reid is rather soft spoken. The loudest thing about Reid are his teeshirts. Belichick is pretty quiet too.

Edited by DoleINGout
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, El Ramster said:

Tony Dungy

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Coach A:

• Regular Season: 29-33-1 (0.468)
  • Post Season: 2-1 (0.667)
  • Career: 31-34-1 (0.477)

Coach B:

• Regular Season: 43-42 (0.506)
  • Post Season: 3-2 (0.600)
  • Career: 46-44 (0.511)

Coach A is

Reveal hidden contents

Dan Campbell

.  Coach B is

Reveal hidden contents

Dan Quinn

.  And for some reason, the perception among fans between these two couldn’t be more different.

Dan Quinn did not build his initial staff in ATL. Replacing Matt Ryan was not one of the initial hurdles  either.

What Dan Quinn is walking into now is similar to what Dan Campbell took on a few years ago. 

5 minutes ago, Jameson_Neat said:

Dan Quinn did not build his initial staff in ATL. Replacing Matt Ryan was not one of the initial hurdles  either.

What Dan Quinn is walking into now is similar to what Dan Campbell took on a few years ago. 

I'd argue it's closer to year two of Campbell's rebuild. The first year was trying to put a team on the field while erasing the stupidity of Quintricia. The Commanders have a lot of draft capital and cap space. IIRC the Lions only had an extra 3rd round pick in 2021 from the Stafford trade and they ate a lot of dead cap dumping Quintricia's terrible contracts.