What do you do if you're the Chicago Bears?

DigInBoys

On 4/5/2024 at 9:51 PM, Nabbs4u said:

Unless it's a RGIII type package at no point should you trade out of the top 3. The concensus Top 3 QB are there for a reason. The Bears need to draft one of them or what was the point of giving away Fields?

I'm not saying Penix or Nix suck but both have concerns and neither considered a Top 10 type QB (#11). No reason to get cute. Just make sure you don't F-up taking the wrong QB of the 3 while also nailing pick #9.

Yeah.  If you've got the #1 Pick in this draft like the Bears.  You have you choice of any of the QBs in the draft.  You just walk up there, take the guy you like best (whoever that is) and live with it.  You need to be serious about it.  You don't try to get cute.  Just take the guy you think can be a Franchise QB.

2 hours ago, CasperX22 said:

I mean the top 3 guys all have their concerns as well.  Fit and situation will matter.  I don't think Williams is the slam dunk a lot of people do.

Yeah, sure...any of the "top 3 guys" could easily bust.  All of them could.  Especially if the situation and fit isn't right.  But at some point, you've gotta pull the trigger and try.

I don't think Caleb is as much of a slam dunk as others either.  But if you don't like him...take Drake Maye.  If you don't like him, take Daniels...or heck, take McCarthy.  Take whoever you think has the potential to be your long-term Franchise QB answer.

Drafting QBs high is scary and exciting all at once, and it's very hard to do well.  But the odds of ever finding that true Franchise QB by just playing scared and dabbling in "lower value picks" hoping one of them blows up...are extremely low.  When you have the option (especially when it's basically a bonus that falls into your lap because of the trade and Carolina being terrible) you just take the guy you think is most likely to get it done.

If they bust, they bust.  You're fired.  Weeeee that's life as an NFL GM of a team without a Franchise QB.  That's the job.  But you're also fired if you dither around on hedged later picks and shots in the dark for years too.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah, sure...any of the "top 3 guys" could easily bust.  All of them could.  Especially if the situation and fit isn't right.  But at some point, you've gotta pull the trigger and try.

If you're too scared to make a decision then you need to stick to scouting and just hand your reports in to the GM. I've said it a number of time, I don't mind PAce trading for Mack and picking the QB. I don't even mind him trading up for the pick. If you get a franchise QB then it was absolute peanuts being traded. He simply missed on the pick. If there was Mahomes or Watson as the pick then the Bears likely get a ring in 2018, and would be a threat for one in 2019 as well.

Hopefully Poles and Co. feel 100% like Williams is the pick or think Maye is and just take them. Like you said, don't get cute and just take the guy.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, malak1 said:

Oof. I hate this.

I'd be curios to hear why. 

Because I have a feeling those who are in favor of taking Caleb are going to be the first ones talking about he doesn't have enough help if he ends up struggling. 

O-Line can't protect him. Bad play calling. Coaches fault...ETC. 

I DO NOT TRUST OUR O LINE ATM AT ALL. 

12 minutes ago, mdonnelly21 said:

I'd be curios to hear why. 

Because I have a feeling those who are in favor of taking Caleb are going to be the first ones talking about he doesn't have enough help if he ends up struggling. 

O-Line can't protect him. Bad play calling. Coaches fault...ETC. 

I DO NOT TRUST OUR O LINE ATM AT ALL. 

KOC is a solid playcaller and just handing him a potential franchise QB is a likely damning move. If he has to move up for JJ, whatever. But letting a division rival get one of the highest rated QBs in recent years while your current number one is Bagent? I mean, if Caleb plays well and Poles passed on Stroud and Williams then he should be fired.

43 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

If you're too scared to make a decision then you need to stick to scouting and just hand your reports in to the GM. I've said it a number of time, I don't mind PAce trading for Mack and picking the QB. I don't even mind him trading up for the pick. If you get a franchise QB then it was absolute peanuts being traded. He simply missed on the pick. If there was Mahomes or Watson as the pick then the Bears likely get a ring in 2018, and would be a threat for one in 2019 as well.

Hopefully Poles and Co. feel 100% like Williams is the pick or think Maye is and just take them. Like you said, don't get cute and just take the guy.

It's honestly just kind of rude to hold a franchise hostage as a GM...by refusing to go "all in" on a Top Pick QB when the opportunity presents itself.

I get that it's precarious.  But if you wait for an Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence to come along...you're going to be waiting longer than your tenure as GM.  Heck, you literally only get one or two of those in a generation and only one team gets them.  Luck was the guy for Millennials (he retired early and never got there).  Lawrence was the GenZ guy (and as much as i'm still convinced, it hasn't gone perfectly as anticipated either).

You just aren't going anywhere without a Franchise QB.  So you've gotta put yourself out there and try.  Grab the guy you think can do it when you have control of the entire draft.  Even though...yeah...they've got flaws.

It's where, when it comes to a QB Top-10...my thoughts skew toward the idea that you should probably be comfortable with that guy Top-3.  If you wouldn't take 'em in the Top-3 and tie yourself permanently to them, you're probably not that sold on them.  So you shouldn't take that guy Top-10.  So i understand being a little QB shy in that respect.  But when you've got the #1 pick and there are multiple stylings of QB to choose from?  Just take the guy.

That's where i think Patriots at #3 are in a potentially awkward spot.  Especially given the state of their team overall.  Maybe it makes sense for them to pass.  But not Chicago or Washington.

The whole thing with Pace is pretty much how i feel as a Jaguars fan.  I wasn't completely sold on Gabbert, but it was like...well...they had the guts to go up and get their guy.  Let's see how it rides.  And then the Bortle thing.  I really didn't like him but at the same time, if you don't even try, what are you really doing?  Wasting time basically.  As a fan at least...just make the pick and let's see how it turns out.  If you're right you've got an extremely long leash.  If you're wrong...NEXT.

• Like 2

As far as getting cute, this might just be because Tayne is young and hot, but if the Bears aren't in love with Caleb and can trade down to 2 & get a lot of assets then I'd do it. All three of the top guys have legitimate upside. I personally don't see any can't-miss guys this year and have legitimate questions about Williams. Again, this all depends on what kind of compensation they could get to drop to 2. If it's Washington's 2,3 and next year's 2 I'd take it. It might be 2, '25 1, which would be even better. It might be a smokescreen, but if Washington wants to deal then I would listen.

• Like 1

Just now, NudeTayne said:

As far as getting cute, this might just be because Tayne is young and hot, but if the Bears aren't in love with Caleb and can trade down to 2 & get a lot of assets then I'd do it. All three of the top guys have legitimate upside. I personally don't see any can't-miss guys this year and have legitimate questions about Williams. Again, this all depends on what kind of compensation they could get to drop to 2. If it's Washington's 2,3 and next year's 2 I'd take it. It might be 2, '25 1, which would be even better. It might be a smokescreen, but if Washington wants to deal then I would listen.

You could be right.  I have no clue who is going to end up being the right guy.  About all we know is that there will probably be 3-4 busts in the top 6 QB's again this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

I've got a name change incoming if Webby approves it.  I will eventually be posting under the name:

Baldy's Mangled Pinky

What you do in your free time is none of our business. 

Signed, 

@perfectTayne

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

You could be right.  I have no clue who is going to end up being the right guy.  About all we know is that there will probably be 3-4 busts in the top 6 QB's again this year.

If Chicago can pull a Texans and end up with 2, 3 with a QB and Marvin for 1, 9 after a few trades then I'd be trying to make that happen. MHJ is worth the #1 pick if they didn't need a QB most.

2 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

If Chicago can pull a Texans and end up with 2, 3 with a QB and Marvin for 1, 9 after a few trades then I'd be trying to make that happen. MHJ is worth the #1 pick if they didn't need a QB most.

That would be some pretty slick dealing if they could pull that off.  Ryan Poles has been doing a good job as of late, but I'd have to say he is no Sonny Weaver Jr. when it comes to draft day trades.  Only the Browns have a guy like that running their front office.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2223990/mediaviewer/rm3569471744/?ref_=tt_ov_i

• Like 1