What do you do if you're the Chicago Bears?

DigInBoys

The lack of FA activity on DO or edge makes me think Flus won the draft debate at 9 and we are going to see an edge or DL come off board at 9 or in a first round trade down.  

1 hour ago, mdonnelly21 said:

I just don't think Jones was bad enough that we need a LT. As far as loading up on offense. I'm 100000% agreement. 

Not just for the sake of investing in Caleb. As a Bears fan the last 25 years our offense has been our downfall besides like 1-2 seasons max. I'm sick and tired of hearing that. I even did a thread not to long ago saying how i would take offense in all 9 picks and I meant it. (Not that it would ever happen) 

That's just how naseuos I am of hearing the same thing over and over. 

I think my concern most with the Bears is our Interior O line. 

When I hear we got rotational guys in the offseason that tells me whoever the QB is will be running for his life. Rotational is nice but should never be a focal point for starters. 

If I'm being completely honest, I'd rather trade that 9 pick down to like 18 pick up a second. Draft C from Oregon who's supposed to be one of the better C prospects in a while. And draft again the best available interior offense. Guards. 

I don't want any room for O line not to make sure it's not growing with Caleb. And atm our Tackles are the least of our concerns on the O line. 

FWIW I don't think Jones is needed as a replacement, I just think he would be a better center than LT. I 100% believe he could make the switch just as Connor Williams did. I think it would upgrade two positions on the OL at once if Alt or Fashanu was picked. 

Agreed, and the one time the Bears had the 2nd best scoring offense (tied with NE behind Manning's ridiculous season in DEN) they also gave up 30ppg to go 8-8. I wanted the Bears to overload offense and let that happen again. It is easier to build up a respectable team than to draft and develop a franchise QB IMO, invest in him and then if he is a true franchise guy then you can build around him. Look at the development they have offered at skill positions. From 2000 on the only legitimate WR1 the Bears have drafted was Jeffrey but he didn't even get a 2nd contract in CHI. Angelo stupidly let Martz phase out Greg Olsen since he preferred blocking TEs (instead of making him the big WR the Bears went and got stonehands William in FA 🤮) and he was traded for a 3rd. Berrian left in FA (MIN did overpay IMO but doesn't matter, Bears likely could have extended him t a more reasonable offer). QBs have been bad. Outside of Forte and now finally Kmet getting an extension, the best players have all been from other teams (Cutler, Moore, Allen, Marshall, Bennett, ARob, Moose). Hester was the GOAT returner but was a good WR3 forced into the WR1 role, Knox was a solid WR2 who had an injury end his career, etc. Even the success with RBs like Howard and Monty ended up with the guys leaving before a 2nd contract. Cohen got paid as a weapon then got a major injury. That's 23 years and its been the same deal. Hopefully Poles can change this pattern. 

I've been harping on the OL forever, so I'm lock in step with you there. Last year I outbid everybody for McGary and Pocic and that would have been a major deal and Jones could kick inside so Davis didn't even need to be signed. Still would have drafted Wright and the OL could have been Wright - Jenkins - Pocic - Jones - McGary. With Poles only really signing Davis I drafted Wright, O'Cyrus Torrence, Dawand Jones, and Vorhees all in the draft in real time. To me winning football means:

1- developing a QB

2 - protecting that QB

3 - beating the piss out of the opposing QB

I

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 9:55 AM, dll2000 said:

The lack of FA activity on DO or edge makes me think Flus won the draft debate at 9 and we are going to see an edge or DL come off board at 9 or in a first round trade down.  

Well, devil's advocate, they had the same approach last year, they didn't sign Ngakuoe until after the draft.  It could just be that they don't want to over-spend on a guy.  

15 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Well, devil's advocate, they had the same approach last year, they didn't sign Ngakuoe until after the draft.  It could just be that they don't want to over-spend on a guy.  

That's true they can address things after draft.

Maybe they like Odunze or Alt, he isn't there Verse is plan B.

Odunze or Alt is there, vet Edge is signed post draft.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

That's true they can address things after draft.

Maybe they like Odunze or Alt, he isn't there Verse is plan B.

Odunze or Alt is there, vet Edge is signed post draft.

That is my bet.  I'm definitely leaning towards staying put at 9 though, there will be a guy there worthwhile.  If 4 QBs go in the top 9, its not possible that all of the top 3 WRs, Alt, and Verse are gone.  They are in a pretty good position if those are their targets, unless the JJ hype is all smoke. 

• Like 2

So many damn good options depending on how the draft goes.

Joe Alt: Pair your generational QB with a stud LT for the next decade

MHJ/Nabers/Odunze: Give your generational QB another weapon that should be your number one for several years.  

An edge to pair with Sweat.  Going to need defense in the playoffs.  Two solid edge rushers is a great start.

Brock Bowers: I don’t love the value, but they’re both near generational prospects.  Mahomes/Kelce blue print.

Trade down: I believe in trading down if the value is there.  Keep building the roster.  We’re looking at a decade of competitive play once Caleb arrives.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

That is my bet.  I'm definitely leaning towards staying put at 9 though, there will be a guy there worthwhile.  If 4 QBs go in the top 9, its not possible that all of the top 3 WRs, Alt, and Verse are gone.  They are in a pretty good position if those are their targets, unless the JJ hype is all smoke. 

Also, if 4 QBs go before 9 you probably won't have a motivated trade up partner at 9.  

13 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm still not sure who they are going with at pick 1.1

Kedon Slovis or Joe Milton🤔🤔

NahSlovis sounds more like a VIking name so he's set for MIN at 1.11 and Bears are set at TE. It's going to be really cool to see that then Hartman be taken at 1.23. Then we get to see who is really the true heir to Dobbs.

• Like 1