Kyle Shanahan

notthatbluestuff

19 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

I feel bad for him...He is a great coach.It also took 20 years for Andy Reid to win his first super bowl and he has now 3.His career is not over

I was thinking the same thing.  Kyle has the same offensive sagacity as Reid... but Andy has Patrick Mahomes running his offense.  Brock Purdy showed a lot this season and with more experience, and the same core around him BP might be able to push Shanahan over the Superbowl hump? So far he's been the best QB to operate his schemes and he helped bring San Francisco to the big game in his first full year so I see him getting better from here on out.

16 minutes ago, BeaReylo said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Kyle has the same offensive sagacity as Reid... but Andy has Patrick Mahomes running his offense.  Brock Purdy showed a lot this season and with more experience, and the same core around him BP might be able to push Shanahan over the Superbowl hump? So far he's been the best QB to operate his schemes and he helped bring San Francisco to the big game in his first full year so I see him getting better from here on out.

Not to be forgotten too : Purdy never really had a full offseason to prepare as a starter. He was an afterthought year 1 and rehabbing year 2. Let's see how much he can improve with a full offseason under his belt. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Soggust said:

When did this change happen that people think Cousins is all of a sudden a potential winner?

I have argued for YEARS that Cousins was a better QB than people thought and gone to war for Kirko. Yet, I've also been told for YEARS that no matter how good his stats were, he just wasn't a winner or a guy that could take over a game (all the same stuff we are saying about Purdy) and was forever relegated to the Dak / Lamar playoff choker label because of a 1-3 record and ~220 ypg in the playoffs.

Now folks (not just you) are suggesting he's the missing ingredient?

Brock Purdy is literally Kirk Cousins on a rookie contract with an unrealized ceiling imo. If they got rid of Brock to pull in a vet like this, I think Lynch should be fired on the spot lol.

I think it could be a comparable upgrade going from Goff to Stafford and it won us a Super Bowl, so that was the logic for me. Stafford also "wasn't a winner" prior to getting here.

I've never thought too high or low of Kirk myself

15 hours ago, TedLavie said:

Not to be forgotten too : Purdy never really had a full offseason to prepare as a starter. He was an afterthought year 1 and rehabbing year 2. Let's see how much he can improve with a full offseason under his belt. 

Yeah. I also wonder how of much his 'limited' arm might improve with a full offseason to actually heal/get stronger/do technique work.

On 2/11/2024 at 11:52 PM, Forge said:

This one isn't on Kyle, though I don't think he was particularly good in this game. I thought he was mostly fine, but like a C or D performance. 

Like sometimes there is just some execution problems. 2 misses by purdy deep (well, maybe one...aiyuk may have just lost the other). Lost fumble by CMC when they were driving. Muffed punt that cost them the lead. Blocked XP. Like that's just not on him so people have to stop with that nonsense. 

and then he made arguably the biggest go for it decision of his career....and it worked which resulted in a TD rather than a Fg. 

That said, their relative confusion at Spags' blitzing on third down was weird. Some of the playcalling I don't agree with. I've said it before that this is a passing team and people just refuse to acknowledge that, but they needed to probably be more run heavy in this one and there was a stretch where they just weren't. Giving up that possession at the end of the half was critical. 

Why is when the players execute the plays as designed the coach is Einstein but when the players screw up the coach is a bum?  KC won this one because they made fewer mistakes than SF did.  

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 11:55 PM, DoleINGout said:

How does he not run the ball with Christian McCaffery in his prime while the Chiefs bleed yardage against the run every time? Idiotic choices AGAIN by Kyle.

If we want to rag on Kyle this is most likely his  biggest mistake other than not deferring in OT.  But if his players hadn't screwed up earlier on ST the chances the game goes into OT is slim.

On 2/12/2024 at 12:53 AM, KFP7 said:

and you're wrong.

both teams now get a chance to possess the ball whether the first scores a TD, FG or not

And I wouldn't mind it if they implemented this in the regular season too.

On 2/12/2024 at 1:03 AM, stl4life07 said:

Ok then so its different in the playoffs than the regular season. I didnt know that then. Thanks!

From what I heard there were SF players who didn't know either!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

If we want to rag on Kyle this is most likely his  biggest mistake other than not deferring in OT.  But if his players hadn't screwed up earlier on ST the chances the game goes into OT is slim.

I still maintain the biggest miss was his lack of stealing a possession at the end of the first half. 

You have a finite number of possessions per game in a league designed to create as much parity as possible. I don't understand why you aren't doing everything possible to steal an additional scoring chances. Mcvay gave up a possession on the Detroit game as well. 

It's just a weird strategy to me

• Like 3

Just now, Xenos said:

I haven't listened to Ben and Sheil yet (will start it in about ten minutes when I go pick up my son lol) but so far on the pods I've listened to, nobody has had a major issue with shanny. 

Mays brought up the same thing I did about the possession at the end of the half, but that's about it

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

I haven't listened to Ben and Sheil yet (will start it in about ten minutes when I go pick up my son lol) but so far on the pods I've listened to, nobody has had a major issue with shanny. 

Mays brought up the same thing I did about the possession at the end of the half, but that's about it

There’s a fun debate between Sheil and Ben about the OT decision to receive versus defer. Just two guys trying to figure the 4D chess of it all 😅

Edited by Xenos

It hurts to get so close & lose, but he's a top 3 HC IMO (Reid & McVay above him) 

Some of it is bad luck, some of it is making mistakes in-game, some of it is past mistakes coming back to haunt him (not drafting Mahomes in 2017, not signing Brady in 2020). He has his faults of course

But, you can only win SB's if you make them, and he's made 3 since 2016 as a OC/HC. Only Belichek (3), Reid (4), Bienemy (3 as OC) Spags (4 as DC) have made as many or more since that time period, unless i missed someone. 3 of those are  with Mahomes, 1 of those is Belicheck with Brady who hasn't even made it back since the 2018 season. 

You ride with coach & hope he breaks through one of these times. 

Anyone who wants to move on from him...maybe you get a Jon Gruden situation where the new HC finally gets you over the hump. More likely you're hiring an inferior HC who just get to the divisional round with the talent assembled, once it ages out then good luck. Take a look at the new head coach hirings the last 5 years, most of them aren't pretty...and ironically, 2 of the best are former 49ers under Shanny (McDaniel, Ryans) 

• Like 2