Kyle Shanahan

notthatbluestuff

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

There’s a fun debate between Sheil and Ben about the OT decision to receive versus defer. Just two guys trying to figure the 4D chess of it all 😅

I think most people lean defer but all the debate and analytics just goes to show that it really was/is a coin flip decision, at least so close as to not be a meaningful critique of Shanahan. Just common overvaluing the ending of games rather than everything that preceded it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I wonder if the trend shifts to just deferring in that situation by any coaching staff with the fallout of this loss. 

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Between this and college OT in general, deferring will become the easy call to make if you don't want to get fan backlash, especially since its a coin flip anyways.

I was watching “First Things First” and Nick Wright made a point that I’ve been making all this time. The reason why Kyle keep coming up short in these big games is bc he comes into every big game with the 2nd best QB on the field. So he need for everything to go right for this team to win he don’t have the QB to overcome them.

He needed for Jimmy G to complete to pass to Sanders in the Superbowl. He needed Tartt to catch that int in the NFCCG, he needed for that punt not to bounce the way that it did in this Superbowl. Bc he doesn’t have the QB that can overcome mistakes when you have Mahomes and Stafford on the other side who is the way better QB in the game and they are able to overcome things in the game.

And he mentioned Reid with the Eagles and his failures in not being able to win the title. He had the 2nd best QB on the field when he lost to the likes of ARod, Brees, Brady, and Warner. The only time he started winning titles is when he had Mahomes. And the only time Mahomes wasn’t the best QB on field was when he went up against Brady. Outside of that every single time Reid Chiefs took the field he knew he had the advantage at QB. Now you can say how big of a gap was the advantage? But it was the advantage. 

Kyle need to figure out that situation bc if he don’t he will continue to come up short bc the league is getting too talented at the QB position each year that the Niners will continue to have the 2nd best QB on the field in these big games where they will need nearly everything thing to go right for them to win. One or two things go wrong and they will fall short again. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

I was watching “First Things First” and Nick Wright made a point that I’ve been making all this time. The reason why Kyle keep coming up short in these big games is bc he comes into every big game with the 2nd best QB on the field. So he need for everything to go right for this team to win he don’t have the QB to overcome them.

He needed for Jimmy G to complete to pass to Sanders in the Superbowl. He needed Tartt to catch that int in the NFCCG, he needed for that punt not to bounce the way that it did in this Superbowl. Bc he doesn’t have the QB that can overcome mistakes when you have Mahomes and Stafford on the other side who is the way better QB in the game and they are able to overcome things in the game.

And he mentioned Reid with the Eagles and his failures in not being able to win the title. He had the 2nd best QB on the field when he lost to the likes of ARod, Brees, Brady, and Warner. The only time he started winning titles is when he had Mahomes. And the only time Mahomes wasn’t the best QB on field was when he went up against Brady. Outside of that every single time Reid Chiefs took the field he knew he had the advantage at QB. Now you can say how big of a gap was the advantage? But it was the advantage. 

Kyle need to figure out that situation bc if he don’t he will continue to come up short bc the league is getting too talented at the QB position each year that the Niners will continue to have the 2nd best QB on the field in these big games where they will need nearly everything thing to go right for them to win. One or two things go wrong and they will fall short again. 

No this is a terrible, lazy take by Nick Wright. The QB play between the Chiefs, and the 49ers the other night was a wash. Worse head coaches have won Super Bowls with the "lesser" QB. Tom Coughlin did so multiple times. Noll multiple times. Bill Parcells multiple times. Flores multiple times. Joe Gibbs multiple times. Frank Reich, John Harbaugh, Jon Gruden, even Brian Billick when the challenger was Kerry Collins. In a lot of these big games the defenses just fell flat, or there was a special teams blunder that resulted in a free score. 

Purdy against Mahomes has nothing do with McCloud not diving on a fumble, or CMC fumbling the rock on the first drive. Or Greenlaw getting hurt. Purdy isn't inferior because his right guard missed a block on a key passing down, or overall was pressured around 50% on his dropbacks. Mahomes, and the Chiefs offense didn't even drive the length of the field for a TD until OT. It was wash the other night. 

Has QB play been subar sometimes in these big games, yes. In fact Shanahan didn't even have a viable starter in the NFC title game last year. But other times it's just factors way behind who the QB is. Jimmy having a hideous 4th quarter is irrelevant for a defense giving up 21 points in 7 minutes. 

Shanahan has beaten the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Dak Prescott, and Kirk Cousins with the perceived inferior QB. He just hasn't beaten Mahomes in two games in the final showdown. Not a walk in the park, but even in those games it's more frustrating because at least from my perspective QB play wasn't near the top of the reasons why Kyle was stonewalled again. It's just a lazy analysis. Reid lost a few playoff games where he clearly had the superior QB, so shouldn't he have clearly won those games??? Why was he beat by Jake Delhomme, Marcus Mariota, and Brad Johnson???? Were they more able to overcome bad luck than Donovan McNabb or Alex Smith??? 

BTW is Stafford can overcome bad luck so easily, he would have been doofus proof from his team in Detroit all those years. He wasn't. Even he needed help, and got it when he was shipped to the Rams. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

No this is a terrible, lazy take by Nick Wright. The QB play between the Chiefs, and the 49ers the other night was a wash. Worse head coaches have won Super Bowls with the "lesser" QB. Tom Coughlin did so multiple times. Noll multiple times. Bill Parcells multiple times. Flores multiple times. Joe Gibbs multiple times. Frank Reich, John Harbaugh, Jon Gruden, even Brian Billick when the challenger was Kerry Collins. In a lot of these big games the defenses just fell flat, or there was a special teams blunder that resulted in a free score. 

Purdy against Mahomes has nothing do with McCloud not diving on a fumble, or CMC fumbling the rock on the first drive. Or Greenlaw getting hurt. Purdy isn't inferior because his right guard missed a block on a key passing down, or overall was pressured around 50% on his dropbacks. Mahomes, and the Chiefs offense didn't even drive the length of the field for a TD until OT. It was wash the other night. 

Has QB play been subar sometimes in these big games, yes. In fact Shanahan didn't even have a viable starter in the NFC title game last year. But other times it's just factors way behind who the QB is. Jimmy having a hideous 4th quarter is irrelevant for a defense giving up 21 points in 7 minutes. 

Shanahan has beaten the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Dak Prescott, and Kirk Cousins with the perceived inferior QB. He just hasn't beaten Mahomes in two games in the final showdown. Not a walk in the park, but even in those games it's more frustrating because at least from my perspective QB play wasn't near the top of the reasons why Kyle was stonewalled again. It's just a lazy analysis. Reid lost a few playoff games where he clearly had the superior QB, so shouldn't he have clearly won those games??? Why was he beat by Jake Delhomme, Marcus Mariota, and Brad Johnson???? Were they more able to overcome bad luck than Donovan McNabb or Alex Smith??? 

BTW is Stafford can overcome bad luck so easily, he would have been doofus proof from his team in Detroit all those years. He wasn't. Even he needed help, and got it when he was shipped to the Rams. 

It’s a debate definitely so I see your point. I think the difference in this Superbowl was Mahomes got the ball into the endzone when it mattered the most where as Purdy only got the ball so far but was stalled and had to settle for a FG. And you know that FGs won’t win you many games. You need TDs.

Stafford in the Superbowl had to get the ball in the endzone to beat the Bengals and he did despite only having one true option to go too which was Kupp. The Niners had Deebo (albeit playing hurt), Aiyuk, Kittle, and CMC. Why couldn’t the Niners get the ball into the endzone when they needed to the most?

And I’ll continue to beat this drum. You remove one of Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, or CMC on offense AND you remove one of Bosa, Armstead, Greenlaw, or Werner on defense (so two total players). You replace those two players (one on each side) with a big time QB not named Mahomes. Burrow, Allen, Lamar, Herbert, Stafford, Lawrence, in a year or two Stroud I strongly believe the Niners win a Superbowl or two. Heck the Niners could give up two of their big name players on their roster plus a draft pick to get up to the 1st overall pick to get Caleb Williams and instantly they become a Superbowl winner it’s just a formality of going through the season. And if not this year bc Caleb is still a rookie learning it would be next season when everything slows down for him and that light switch comes on you can book the Superbowl parade for the Niners.

43 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

It’s a debate definitely so I see your point. I think the difference in this Superbowl was Mahomes got the ball into the endzone when it mattered the most where as Purdy only got the ball so far but was stalled and had to settle for a FG. And you know that FGs won’t win you many games. You need TDs.

Stafford in the Superbowl had to get the ball in the endzone to beat the Bengals and he did despite only having one true option to go too which was Kupp. The Niners had Deebo (albeit playing hurt), Aiyuk, Kittle, and CMC. Why couldn’t the Niners get the ball into the endzone when they needed to the most?

And I’ll continue to beat this drum. You remove one of Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, or CMC on offense AND you remove one of Bosa, Armstead, Greenlaw, or Werner on defense (so two total players). You replace those two players (one on each side) with a big time QB not named Mahomes. Burrow, Allen, Lamar, Herbert, Stafford, Lawrence, in a year or two Stroud I strongly believe the Niners win a Superbowl or two. Heck the Niners could give up two of their big name players on their roster plus a draft pick to get up to the 1st overall pick to get Caleb Williams and instantly they become a Superbowl winner it’s just a formality of going through the season. And if not this year bc Caleb is still a rookie learning it would be next season when everything slows down for him and that light switch comes on you can book the Superbowl parade for the Niners.

That he did. It still ignores other factors that contributed to the outcome of the game though. A botched special team TD helps Mahomes. Greenlaw being out helps Mahomes. Recovering 6 of 7 fumbles helps Mahomes. That's all irrelevent to his talent as a player. When we're looking at a sample size of one, two games against Mahomes in the Super Bowl, that kind of stuff has to be accounted for. And really, why did Mahomes "wait" until OT to get the winning score??? Why didn't he just get the TD as time expired in regulation??? Why didn't he score on every drive to put the game out of reach much earlier??? This is why this particular perspective just just nonsense to me, and it's not surprising it comes off the back of Nick Wright who just wants to use the opportunity to project his QB up in a lazy manner, instead of analyzing the game objectively. Curious as to what he had to say when Mahomes lost to Burrow in the AFC title game two years ago. He was the superior QB, so shouldn't he have won that game??? 

Stafford had to go to the Rams to get to the Super Bowl in the first place. Why couldn't he get there in Detroit when he had Calvin Johnson all those years??? Feel free to list the reasons why a perceived superior talent now needed help. 

The 49ers couldn't get into the endzone many times, because CMC fumbled, there were false starts, the offensive line couldn't run block well enough, and couldn't pass block hardly at all. You neglected to mention any of the offensive line, as if that doesn't matter. Just the skill position players. 

All of those other QBs you listed that are perceived superior didn't get as far as the 49ers did. But if they are superior, why do they now need more help to get where Purdy is now. This is why this type of lazy analysis is a slippery slope at it's best, and a load of horse salt at it's worst. Some of the best quarterbacks that have ever played on loaded rosters just as good as Purdy has now have never even won it (Tarkenton, Kelly, Marino) or even got there (Fouts, Moon). And they lost to inferior quarterbacks many a times. So what's the rub with their cases??? Are they now not HOF players??? 

Purdy in his second season has been to a conference title game (that he didn't get to play in), and a Super Bowl. He'll just be entering the offseason healthy, and having a full training camp off the back of a year where he was in the MVP talks for most of the year. Barring significant injury or a deal with the devil that expired, he's going to give Kyle a quality shot to get a ring. 

Caleb Williams lmao. For all we know he could be the next Joe Webb. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

In his loss as OC in ATL and two SF SB's I saw something that Shanahan has called a 65/35 pass/run balance in the second half in these games, the opposing teams top defender is targeted 30%+ of passes, and on first downs his teams have averaged 1.4 yards.

Shanaha'ns problem seems to be that he struggles at just buckling in, saying "this isn't a time to be a innovator" and call kill the clock plays.

CMC only lined up at HB in the second half of this game, despite lining up all over the spot in season.  Kittle didn't split out wide throughout the game despite being moved all over the place.  In the second half the Niners ran it 7 times for 21 yards.  Even if that's all you got, in the first down you could get 2nd and 7, open up the PA pass that made them so deadly, and gets you potentially into the 3rd and short that they were so deadly in.  Instead they pass it on 7/12 1st downs, and the only drive they ran it on multiple 1st downs they ended up scoring.

You can go back 4 years ago and the second half looked similar.  The ATL Super Bowl was similar too.  Dude just gets in his own way.  I told a friend it almost plays like he's pushing to get his QB the MVP by letting them have a big second half game.  I'd say if you just stayed with the run, even at the small yards, you end up opening stuff and Purdy could have been MVP anyways.

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

That he did. It still ignores other factors that contributed to the outcome of the game though. A botched special team TD helps Mahomes. Greenlaw being out helps Mahomes. Recovering 6 of 7 fumbles helps Mahomes. That's all irrelevent to his talent as a player. When we're looking at a sample size of one, two games against Mahomes in the Super Bowl, that kind of stuff has to be accounted for. And really, why did Mahomes "wait" until OT to get the winning score??? Why didn't he just get the TD as time expired in regulation??? Why didn't he score on every drive to put the game out of reach much earlier??? This is why this particular perspective just just nonsense to me, and it's not surprising it comes off the back of Nick Wright who just wants to use the opportunity to project his QB up in a lazy manner, instead of analyzing the game objectively. Curious as to what he had to say when Mahomes lost to Burrow in the AFC title game two years ago. He was the superior QB, so shouldn't he have won that game??? 

Stafford had to go to the Rams to get to the Super Bowl in the first place. Why couldn't he get there in Detroit when he had Calvin Johnson all those years??? Feel free to list the reasons why a perceived superior talent now needed help. 

The 49ers couldn't get into the endzone many times, because CMC fumbled, there were false starts, the offensive line couldn't run block well enough, and couldn't pass block hardly at all. You neglected to mention any of the offensive line, as if that doesn't matter. Just the skill position players. 

All of those other QBs you listed that are perceived superior didn't get as far as the 49ers did. But if they are superior, why do they now need more help to get where Purdy is now. This is why this type of lazy analysis is a slippery slope at it's best, and a load of horse salt at it's worst. Some of the best quarterbacks that have ever played on loaded rosters just as good as Purdy has now have never even won it (Tarkenton, Kelly, Marino) or even got there (Fouts, Moon). And they lost to inferior quarterbacks many a times. So what's the rub with their cases??? Are they now not HOF players??? 

Purdy in his second season has been to a conference title game (that he didn't get to play in), and a Super Bowl. He'll just be entering the offseason healthy, and having a full training camp off the back of a year where he was in the MVP talks for most of the year. Barring significant injury or a deal with the devil that expired, he's going to give Kyle a quality shot to get a ring. 

Caleb Williams lmao. For all we know he could be the next Joe Webb. 

You still making my point of all the things that went wrong for the Niners that they couldnt overcome and win. Think about the Superbowl the Rams won and what they had to overcome. Stafford threw 2 ints. One that bounced off a receivers hands into the a Bengals defender. The refs blew an OPI on the Bengals that resulted in a TD on the first play on the 2nd half that gave the Bengals the lead. OBJ went down in the 1st half which was the only reliable offensive option for Stafford outside of Kupp. The Rams had no running game. Yet all through all of that in a close game the Stafford was able to do what Stafford does and found a way to win. Down by 10pts with everything I just said he made the plays to win the game. And the irony of it all was McVay believed that Goff wouldnt have been able to do the same bc he saw that same picture in the Superbowl a few years prior in a close game 3-3 heading into the 4th with so much happening against the Pats Goff couldnt find a way to still win. He needed an upgrade to a difference maker in Stafford to do so and he was right.

I cant pretend to think I know how Purdy is going to be moving forward. Its easy to say he is going to only continue to get better and better bc look how he started his career. But if I had to really guess I think he will get a little better but thats it. His ceiling isnt through the roof. What we see right now is just about what we get. As I mentioned with Jimmy G, he was really one throw to Sanders away from winning the Superbowl years ago but look how he went down. He had a ceiling. And also too Niners fans cant expect this to be the norm. We watch the Saints blow chance after chance after chance with Payton and Brees until their time ran out. At some point you have to capitalize on these golden opportunities bc if not they will get snatched away to where we wont even see the Niners in a Superbowl or NFCCG for years to come if not longer. 

And as for Stafford its as simple as Detroit was a poorly ran organization. So much so that both Sanders and Megatron retired well before they maybe shouldve. Stafford gave the Lions all that he could but lets face it he wasnt even close to being set up to succeed. What he did for the Lions even to get them to the playoffs the times that he did was a miracle. You dont have that many 4th quarter/OT comebacks for one franchise and not be considered a difference maker. He willed that franchise. Had he been to a real franchise that was ran very well we wouldve seen far more success with him than anything. Bc we saw the second he got out of Detroit to the Rams we saw what he did. 

11 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

I think most people lean defer but all the debate and analytics just goes to show that it really was/is a coin flip decision, at least so close as to not be a meaningful critique of Shanahan. Just common overvaluing the ending of games rather than everything that preceded it.

Spoilers but that’s what Sheil and Ben agree on when the debate began. That it was just a coin flip. It was more about a lot of the different arguments for or against that made the debate fun.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

You still making my point of all the things that went wrong for the Niners that they couldnt overcome and win. Think about the Superbowl the Rams won and what they had to overcome. Stafford threw 2 ints. One that bounced off a receivers hands into the a Bengals defender. The refs blew an OPI on the Bengals that resulted in a TD on the first play on the 2nd half that gave the Bengals the lead. OBJ went down in the 1st half which was the only reliable offensive option for Stafford outside of Kupp. The Rams had no running game. Yet all through all of that in a close game the Stafford was able to do what Stafford does and found a way to win. Down by 10pts with everything I just said he made the plays to win the game. And the irony of it all was McVay believed that Goff wouldnt have been able to do the same bc he saw that same picture in the Superbowl a few years prior in a close game 3-3 heading into the 4th with so much happening against the Pats Goff couldnt find a way to still win. He needed an upgrade to a difference maker in Stafford to do so and he was right.

I cant pretend to think I know how Purdy is going to be moving forward. Its easy to say he is going to only continue to get better and better bc look how he started his career. But if I had to really guess I think he will get a little better but thats it. His ceiling isnt through the roof. What we see right now is just about what we get. As I mentioned with Jimmy G, he was really one throw to Sanders away from winning the Superbowl years ago but look how he went down. He had a ceiling. And also too Niners fans cant expect this to be the norm. We watch the Saints blow chance after chance after chance with Payton and Brees until their time ran out. At some point you have to capitalize on these golden opportunities bc if not they will get snatched away to where we wont even see the Niners in a Superbowl or NFCCG for years to come if not longer. 

And as for Stafford its as simple as Detroit was a poorly ran organization. So much so that both Sanders and Megatron retired well before they maybe shouldve. Stafford gave the Lions all that he could but lets face it he wasnt even close to being set up to succeed. What he did for the Lions even to get them to the playoffs the times that he did was a miracle. You dont have that many 4th quarter/OT comebacks for one franchise and not be considered a difference maker. He willed that franchise. Had he been to a real franchise that was ran very well we wouldve seen far more success with him than anything. Bc we saw the second he got out of Detroit to the Rams we saw what he did. 

Because that would nuke any quarterback's chance to win any game. Including Mahomes. That's the point, and it's not a complex one. Mahomes got the majority of the lucky breaks, and it still took an OT drive at the end to win the game. Again, why didn't he just win the game earlier instead of wait until the end with all of that advantageous capital? This isn't a game where he blew out the opponent. This is a game where Mahomes played average along with Purdy. Both faced quality defenses. Their PFF grades are basically the same. Mahomes, as if he didn't need luck on his side already, got a boatload of it more. 

Stafford...he's had many more games than that Super Bowl. Seasons in fact. So we have a big sample size. Yet if we're placing him on this superior platform that never helped the Lions get to a Super Bowl when he was in Detroit. So why was that??? Does he need help??? If so, why does the now perceived superior talent that is being propped up as a cheat code need help??? If Detroit is so bad, and we are letting Stafford off the hook, then Purdy, an MVP candidate, shouldn't be penalized either for being in a more fortuitous situation. This would be like giving up on Steve Young before 1994 happened, saying he can't get the job done with all the talent around him like Joe did. And sadly there were idiots back then that pushed that notion despite Steve actually winning MVP already. Steve certainly didn't will the Bucs to go anywhere.

Back to the SB, that's why this type of logic is lunacy is a single game. Mahomes has lost games where they didn't have all of those advantages he gained against the 49ers. Against way more inferior quarterback production than Brock Purdy. So why didn't he win those games??? 

Jimmy G had a ceiling yes. But the bigger problem with Jimmy G was his health. He was getting hurt too often, and missing games which was unacceptable for the salary he was making. If he remains healthy, he might still be the QB of the 49ers strangely. 

Yes, I think the 49ers know they have to capitalize on these opportunities. That doesn't mean the plan should be seek a revolving door at QB, every other season. That's a panic move by irrational fans. Especially when you have a guy on a rookie deal that is was close to winning league MVP. He played well enough to win the Super Bowl. If anything the 49ers let him down. 

Purdy is an inferior quarterback. But he's not so inferior that he can't win a game, even this game, where he didn't get the majority of the breaks. It's a one game sample size, and to make a definitive statement about the game, and chalking it up to "well because worse QB" is just a lazy argument. The 49ers, and Chiefs will play again next season, and I'll be just as confident with Purdy as the triggerman as I was before the Super Bowl, which is fairly good. He played as well as anyone that's ever played could realistically ask for given the circumstances (hideous luck from irrespective aspects of the team, doofy pass pro against a quality D). If Purdy's ceiling is being in MVP talks, then he's not what is holding the team back. 49ers need to do better. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Because that would nuke any quarterback's chance to win any game. Including Mahomes. That's the point, and it's not a complex one. Mahomes got the majority of the lucky breaks, and it still took an OT drive at the end to win the game. Again, why didn't he just win the game earlier instead of wait until the end with all of that advantageous capital? This isn't a game where he blew out the opponent. This is a game where Mahomes played average along with Purdy. Both faced quality defenses. Their PFF grades are basically the same. Mahomes, as if he didn't need luck on his side already, got a boatload of it more. 

Stafford...he's had many more games than that Super Bowl. Seasons in fact. So we have a big sample size. Yet if we're placing him on this superior platform that never helped the Lions get to a Super Bowl when he was in Detroit. So why was that??? Does he need help??? If so, why does the now perceived superior talent that is being propped up as a cheat code need help??? If Detroit is so bad, and we are letting Stafford off the hook, then Purdy, an MVP candidate, shouldn't be penalized either for being in a more fortuitous situation. This would be like giving up on Steve Young before 1994 happened, saying he can't get the job done with all the talent around him like Joe did. And sadly there were idiots back then that pushed that notion despite Steve actually winning MVP already. Steve certainly didn't will the Bucs to go anywhere.

Back to the SB, that's why this type of logic is lunacy is a single game. Mahomes has lost games where they didn't have all of those advantages he gained against the 49ers. Against way more inferior quarterback production than Brock Purdy. So why didn't he win those games??? 

Jimmy G had a ceiling yes. But the bigger problem with Jimmy G was his health. He was getting hurt too often, and missing games which was unacceptable for the salary he was making. If he remains healthy, he might still be the QB of the 49ers strangely. 

Yes, I think the 49ers know they have to capitalize on these opportunities. That doesn't mean the plan should be seek a revolving door at QB, every other season. That's a panic move by irrational fans. Especially when you have a guy on a rookie deal that is was close to winning league MVP. He played well enough to win the Super Bowl. If anything the 49ers let him down. 

Purdy is an inferior quarterback. But he's not so inferior that he can't win a game, even this game, where he didn't get the majority of the breaks. It's a one game sample size, and to make a definitive statement about the game, and chalking it up to "well because worse QB" is just a lazy argument. The 49ers, and Chiefs will play again next season, and I'll be just as confident with Purdy as the triggerman as I was before the Super Bowl, which is fairly good. He played as well as anyone that's ever played could realistically ask for given the circumstances (hideous luck from irrespective aspects of the team, doofy pass pro against a quality D). If Purdy's ceiling is being in MVP talks, then he's not what is holding the team back. 49ers need to do better. 

Question is, do you feel confident in Kyle/Purdy eventually getting over the hump and winning a Superbowl?

For me I think this year was their best shot. They will never have a better roster than they have currently. Plus they didnt have the injuries that a Niners team usually have due to their physical nature. The NFC wasnt as good and even this Chiefs team was weaker. They only scored 3pts in the 1st half and 1st halves were supposed to be their best half bc they typically struggle to score in the 2nd half of games.

Im not suggesting the Niners have a revolving door at QB. But its ok to pivot if you think you can only do so much with what you have. Yes Purdy was in the MVP talks, but you know who was also in the MVP talks? Wentz in 2017 but that didnt equate to anything for him in his career. 

15 hours ago, Forge said:

I haven't listened to Ben and Sheil yet (will start it in about ten minutes when I go pick up my son lol) but so far on the pods I've listened to, nobody has had a major issue with shanny. 

Mays brought up the same thing I did about the possession at the end of the half, but that's about it

I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but if you didn't catch it, Ben's video for the week is also on the topic of whether or not Shanahan choked (his answer is no.) Some good stuff early on about what KC's defense did at the snap regarding run blitzing and such. I actually think it's kind of crazy how well our D can time the snap. Not for like, edge rushing, but for defensive shifts and motions. Really hard to deal with for a young QB and a so-so at best OL.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pugger said:

If we want to rag on Kyle this is most likely his  biggest mistake other than not deferring in OT.  But if his players hadn't screwed up earlier on ST the chances the game goes into OT is slim.

There are probably times/situations where some of the miscues are a coaching issue - dropped passes, fumbles, turnovers in general, penalties, etc. Now, I don't know that this is the case for the Niners - but I do think the performance of a team is often a reflection of the leadership, talent aside in this case. In that sense, I think it's fair to say that the number of miscues in this game by the Niners is probably a reflection on him as a HC and having his team prepared for the biggest game of their lives.

13 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

There are probably times/situations where some of the miscues are a coaching issue - dropped passes, fumbles, turnovers in general, penalties, etc. Now, I don't know that this is the case for the Niners - but I do think the performance of a team is often a reflection of the leadership, talent aside in this case. In that sense, I think it's fair to say that the number of miscues in this game by the Niners is probably a reflection on him as a HC and having his team prepared for the biggest game of their lives.

I don't know how things such as dropped passes or fumbles is a reflection on coaching. That's letting the players get away with relatively little accountability. I mean, CMC had fumbled three times all year. Dropped passes happen. A future hall of famer in Trent Williams killed a drive basically all on his own...like that's just a thing that happened and I'm not sure there is much Shanny can do about it. 

Players aren't robots and they aren't perfect. 

There are some miscues that I think can reflect on coaching for sure, but a lot of that is also just freak accidents. 

Like, I think there's merit to what @AFlaccoSeagulls said about the complexity of that third and 4 call in overtime resulting in a blown blocking assignment by a backup guard. I think you can lay that at the feet of Shanny. I think having Kittle in the backfield on the third and 5 against a likely blitz is probably not ideal compared to having CMC back there (I get that he probably just wanted CMC running his route because that's your best play maker and the guy that is most likely going to move the chains for you) 

• Like 2