Kyle Shanahan

notthatbluestuff

8 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

and you're wrong.

both teams now get a chance to possess the ball whether the first scores a TD, FG or not

Ok then so its different in the playoffs than the regular season. I didnt know that then. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Evidently you don't know the Josh Allen rule. What you described are the OT rules prior to that rule change. The new rule is that both teams possess the ball regardless. Doesn't matter what the first team does in that first drive. The other team gets the ball next.

Ok thanks! Yeah I didnt know that then. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

So in general during the game, I agree with you. I had a lot of questions about his sequencing and calls. 

But even in this specific drive you're talking about, they came out on first down and threw it. Do you wan to run? Sure. But we also know that consistently running on first down is generally bad. So I don't want to have like a great conversation about every first down that he ran or didn't run the ball. 

But on second down the 49ers guard commits a penalty, they get backed up to 2nd and 15 and then you're kind of stuck in a drop back game, which Spags can eat on. And that's on the players. For all i know, he would have run on 2nd and 10, but on 2nd and 15, things have to change. 

I had a lot of issues with certain things Kyle did, but man, people are really letting the players off the hook here because they did a ton of things completely independent of Kyle that helped them lose. 

I’m not letting players off the hook, especially special teams which murdered you guys. But i felt Kyle got to pass happy after the half. Also, I didn’t like that you guys didn’t push the ball down the field, everything felt condensed. It’s strange that you guys scored a td in the first half on a crazy trick play and then after that went way too conservative. If a gadget play works, do another. I’m not going to murder Kyle but that 2nd half left a lot to be desired. 

Edited by 4thandInches

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

Ok then so its different in the playoffs than the regular season. I didnt know that then. Thanks!

I forgot but you're right about that actually, it is different in the regular season which is dumb, playoff rules are better.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Soggust said:

CMC had 22 carries wtf are we talking about. 

We are criticizing 3 drives that went 3 and out in the third quarter?

One of which was started by CMC running for no gain?

One of which was started by a -8 yard screen pass?

The third of which had a false start penalty on second that put them in 2nd and 15?

All 3 put them in passing situations on 3rd.

-----------

I feel like you guys are grasping for something to critique tbh

He has entered this place because the results are so bad (and they are lol) and the narrative has swollen so much that everything he does that isn't positive is a referendum on his inability to get the job done. Thats not quite how it works, though I understand the premise. But because he has struggled, it's bigger than just one missed playcall. That's a weight he has to carry until he wins. Unfortunate, especially when I don't even think he did anything wrong in the first 49ers / chiefs super bowl. 

There should be some legit concern in that when he fails in the super bowl, it's typically the offense that is failing him. So he does need to catch some heat. In that championship game against the Rams, I think he didn't pick up like a single yard in like the last 10 minutes of the game? Something stupid or weird like that. Just a brutal look. 

The first super bowl I thought he was fine and lay at the feet of Jimmy waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I do Kyle, but the team scored 20 points in that game. More than a TD less than what they averaged in the season. Tonight? Full credit to KC defense of course, but offense scores a TD less than the team averaged during the season. They nearly lost against Dallas last year because they only scored 19 points and the defense really won them that game. 

Like, good defenses or not, Kyle has to win  some of those battles with good defensive minds. Andy and Patrick demolish #1 defenses fairly consistently...and granted, Andy has Patrick and Kyle doesn't, but you got to have some monster games in there. The offense is his jam. That's his playground. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4thandInches said:

I’m not letting players off the hook, especially special teams which murdered you guys. But i felt Kyle got to pass happy after the half. Also, you guys didn’t push the ball down the field. It’s strange that you guys scored a td in the first half on a crazy trick play and then after that went way too conservative. If a gadget play works, do another. I’m not going to murder Kyle but that 2nd half left a lot to be desired. 

Pretty much where I'm at. Like, I'm underwhelmed but I didn't think he was a mess or anything. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

He has entered this place because the results are so bad (and they are lol) and the narrative has swollen so much that everything he does that isn't positive is a referendum on his inability to get the job done. Thats not quite how it works, though I understand the premise. But because he has struggled, it's bigger than just one missed playcall. That's a weight he has to carry until he wins. Unfortunate, especially when I don't even think he did anything wrong in the first 49ers / chiefs super bowl. 

There should be some legit concern in that when he fails in the super bowl, it's typically the offense that is failing him. So he does need to catch some heat. In that championship game against the Rams, I think he didn't pick up like a single yard in like the last 10 minutes of the game? Something stupid or weird like that. Just a brutal look. 

The first super bowl I thought he was fine and lay at the feet of Jimmy waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I do Kyle, but the team scored 20 points in that game. More than a TD less than what they averaged in the season. Tonight? Full credit to KC defense of course, but offense scores a TD less than the team averaged during the season. They nearly lost against Dallas last year because they only scored 19 points and the defense really won them that game. 

Like, good defenses or not, Kyle has to win  some of those battles with good defensive minds. 

I’m a stats guy so sure. I agree. If you are the offensive guy they claim to be you need to be able to produce points and, eventually, you are what your record is.

But scoring 22 against the #2 defense in football despite 2 turnovers should have been enough in this game, if his own defense had held. But he’s a HC not an OC so that falls on him as well.

i get the buck stops here take but ijs i thought he was fine for the most part. Just a close game that someone had to lose. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I’m a stats guy so sure. I agree. If you are the offensive guy they claim to be you need to be able to produce points and, eventually, you are what your record is.

But scoring 22 against the #2 defense in football despite 2 turnovers should have been enough in this game, if his own defense had held. But he’s a HC not an OC so that falls on him as well.

i get the buck stops here take but ijs i thought he was fine for the most part. Just a close game that someone had to lose. 

Sorry buddy, its 2024. Everything has to be historically great and/or historically bad. Nothing in between.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Soggust said:

For sure. I mean, I'm pretty level on Shanny all considered. He does things that make me doubt him in the playoffs, but he also wins games...and wins them in the playoffs. He just can't win, the game. At least not yet. And you're dealing with a 1 game sample so its like randomness run amok sometimes. 

But because he has this narrative, everything he does is so much bigger than what it is. I mean, people really want to go and like grade playcall by playcall sometimes, and it's weird lol. Not every call is 100%, and the other team gets paid too. There were things I didn't like tonight for sure, but I don't know how the idea is that he choked or lost the game just because he had a very brief 10-0 lead midway through the second quarter. Like, did people think they were going to shut out mahomes? Games have ebb and flows. It's just one of those things. He could have done better tonight, the players could have done better tonight. I just don't think that this game says much any which way. 

A team had to lose this game. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Obviously you don't fire Shanahan. But does SF get over this hump under him? What does he need to do - other than stop running into Mahomes?

Besides not run into Mahomes, he needs at least a top 10 QB. Brock and obviously Jimmy G aren’t it.

8 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Besides not run into Mahomes, he needs at least a top 10 QB. Brock and obviously Jimmy G aren’t it.

Brock was fine tonight. I certainly am not going to come away from this game and have a lower opinion of Brock. It wasn't always pretty, a little stuttering, but that dude got hit 11 times and took 1 sack. I'm willing to bet the pressure numbers are pretty rough for the 49ers. I haven't seen them yet, but I will bet that he was under fire quite a bit. He did miss a couple of big throws, but overall I don't really have major issues with his specific performance. 

Keeping the negative plays away was a good job. 

2 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Obviously you don't fire Shanahan. But does SF get over this hump under him? What does he need to do - other than stop running into Mahomes?

He doesn't deserve to be fired, but he doesn't deserve my investment as a fan any further. 

2 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

I also don't think you can blame him for the super bowl in 2019...Jimmy G was awful in the fourth quarter

The defense still gave up 21 points in 7 minutes before the game was over. That's on Kyle as the head coach.