2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

3 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I'm assuming this is where it'll be. I haven't seen or heard suggested anything from Gray or Bell that they are ready for a step up in responsibilities to quibble over 1.5% of the budget

I like paying the money best if it means that we are drafting a RayRay replacement that will take on Deebo’s responsibilities long term because we free up a draft slot. That player would eventually eat a lot of snaps and be valuable 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I could be wrong. Don't watch enough Miami, but felt like he was getting cooked a lot

He had some nagging injury problems all year, but that is a reason not to be interested 

• Like 2

I'll bet we could sign E-man for the vet minimum. 

Let him come in, stick him on pup for 6 weeks or more, maybe he'll be ready to come in mid season as depth. If he gets hurt again, no biggie

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'll bet we could sign E-man for the vet minimum. 

Let him come in, stick him on pup for 6 weeks or more, maybe he'll be ready to come in mid season as depth. If he gets hurt again, no biggie

The old Jason Varrett, but with a higher chance of success lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JIllg said:

I like paying the money best if it means that we are drafting a RayRay replacement that will take on Deebo’s responsibilities long term because we free up a draft slot. That player would eventually eat a lot of snaps and be valuable 

You're not drafting a guy in the 4th plus round with the expectation that he's taking Deebos spot. If he does you're happy but you don't expect it.

40 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

You're not drafting a guy in the 4th plus round with the expectation that he's taking Deebos spot. If he does you're happy but you don't expect it.

I mean, not the 4th, but the 2nd or third probably. Deebo’s skill set is weirdly one that isn’t used in every offense and I’m not sure how he’d be seen in different circumstances.

Outside of 2021, he hasn’t won super often in one on ones as a receiver. So in replacing him, you are really looking at the nastiest gadget guys that can break tackles after the catch and those aren’t in super high demand. It probably is a decent market inefficiency for our offense specifically that we can get Deebo types and get numbers out of them. I really would like the head start on this process because of every younguns slow spin up time in the league in general and under Shanny in particular.

Incidentally, this is one of the reasons I’d rather pay Aiyuk long term before he goes off for another season. Every team values his sort of skill set highly and it would be very expensive in terms of draft capital/money to replace that skill set as it is that of just about everyone’s alpha receiver.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StevenK said:

They think there’s a possibility that Greenlaw could be ready for wk 1. Depending on rehab, he could be ready after 6 months. 

I don't expect much from him in 2024 even if he's back. Think you'll notice it on the field. 

The problem is that if he's back and struggling, which is what I expect, they are going to give him a looooooooooooong rope. 

I'd prefer him return halfway through the season or something. 

13 hours ago, JIllg said:

I mean, not the 4th, but the 2nd or third probably. Deebo’s skill set is weirdly one that isn’t used in every offense and I’m not sure how he’d be seen in different circumstances.

Outside of 2021, he hasn’t won super often in one on ones as a receiver. So in replacing him, you are really looking at the nastiest gadget guys that can break tackles after the catch and those aren’t in super high demand. It probably is a decent market inefficiency for our offense specifically that we can get Deebo types and get numbers out of them. I really would like the head start on this process because of every younguns slow spin up time in the league in general and under Shanny in particular.

Incidentally, this is one of the reasons I’d rather pay Aiyuk long term before he goes off for another season. Every team values his sort of skill set highly and it would be very expensive in terms of draft capital/money to replace that skill set as it is that of just about everyone’s alpha receiver.

Deebo was a high 2nd round pick and we didn't reach on him. I don't know what the percentages are but the Shanahan offense has been gaining in popularity with each consecutive year. I don't know if the inefficiencies you expect are going to be there.  

Miami, Chicago, Minnesota, Rams, Lions and Houston at minimum do and probably more I'm forgetting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

Deebo was a high 2nd round pick and we didn't reach on him. I don't know what the percentages are but the Shanahan offense has been gaining in popularity with each consecutive year. I don't know if the inefficiencies you expect are going to be there.  

Miami, Chicago, Minnesota, Rams, Lions and Houston at minimum do and probably more I'm forgetting.

There's a big difference between a Shanahan/McVay family offense and Kyle Shanahan's current offense. (see Ben Solak's article for The Ringer on the subject for longform analysis). Long story short, all of these offenses will have an under center outside zone + bootleg + half boot deep shot counter package in the offense and will attack the middle of the field more than most, but how heavily they index into those plays and what those offenses do when they aren't doing those things are very different.

Kyle isn't indexing into those plays very heavily any more and when Kyle isn't doing the under center outside zone + counters package now that he has Brock and CMC, he is stretching the field horizontally in both directions simultaneously with toss+screen and slant+screen plays with Deebo going one way and CMC the other and to spred out in five receiver packages from 21 personnel so that Brock has 5 matchups across the board and can see how the defense plans to handle all of the odd weapons, getting fullbacks and tight ends and running backs on linebackers and safeties, with the second wide receiver often an afterthought compared to Aiyuk, Kittle, and CMC. 

All of this is to say, our version of the offense has a role for a receiver that isn't a traditional receiver at flanker whose role is to turn leak plays, screens, tosses, slants, and end arounds into TD threats and doesn't have to beat DBs very often. Most Shanahan/McVay offense variants do not have this role. They run end arounds and such, sure. But those plays are a wrinkle rather than a core precept of the offense. Nor would such a player be as useful in just about any offense outside of maybe Mike McDaniel's in Miami. 

Malachi Corley is neat, but how high might a team take him with traditional wide receivers also available that they don't have to carve out a role for? It's possible a team/teams might value he and Malik Washington and similar super highly, but I'm not seeing that from consensus circles. We shall see in the draft how highly such skill sets are valued, but if the current line holds we will have opportunites to get a player that is very similar to Deebo in the third or fourth round.

Edited by JIllg

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

Malachi Corley is neat, but how high might a team take him with traditional wide receivers also available that they don't have to carve out a role for? It's possible a team/teams might value he and Malik Washington and similar super highly, but I'm not seeing that from consensus circles. We shall see in the draft how highly such skill sets are valued, but if the current line holds we will have opportunites to get a player that is very similar to Deebo in the third or fourth round.

The thing with Corley is when i watch him he reminds me more of Aiyuk's college tape than Deebo's. Not quite the same level of WR polish(and i think athlete) but the way he gets his YAC is kind of a mix of both but to me reminds me more of what Aiyuk did in college. Still a player i would 100% be happy with if we took him in from round 3 onward.

Edited by Justone2
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

As I said last year, we always make one pretty big move in the offseason, even when it seems unlikely. What do you think that move will be this offseason? 

Hiring a DC. I'm positive we are going to bring one in at some point

• Like 1