Should Aaron Rodgers retire or play 2 more years?

Championshiporbust

Rodgers will try to play this year, but it would be very funny if he called up the Jets and said "Just got out of the Darkness, I'm 100% retired this time."  One of the differences between Rodgers and Brady is that Rodgers loves to pat the ball and wait for a better option to come open even if the easy read for a short completion is there.  Combined with the Jets OL, I think that's a potential recipe for disaster.  If he gets a major injury again this year, I think he needs to call it a career.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelersfan43 said:

even with his serious injury?

I don't see his injury as one that is that serious that it would inhibit his play, especially a full season later.  If he was Lamar Jackson, then maybe, but Rodgers is an elite pocket passer who has had good legs when needed, but would be just as good if he had Peyton-esq stone feet.

• Like 1

I expect next year to be the final year - not because he can't play, but because he's got other interests that he'll focus on. He's got to be looking at the podcast game as a serious step in his career.

• Like 2

Just now, ET80 said:

I expect next year to be the final year - not because he can't play, but because he's got other interests that he'll focus on. He's got to be looking at the podcast game as a serious step in his career.

I doubt the podcast game is going anywhere - is it really going to net him $40-50m/yr?

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think HE thinks that. 

I have no idea what Sirius is paying Brady (couldn't find the renewal) but I think ESPN is paying McAfee $13/m yr for the rights to his show and pulling it off Youtube and onto ESPN.   I know Rogan is making $60-70m/yr for his, but his Podcast seems unique.  Kind of like using Taylor Swift's income to justify becoming a musician.  Anyways, I can see why he'd walk away if he can get a $30-35m/yr deal with ABC/NBC/FOX like Brady and maybe another $10-15m/yr for a podcast plus endorsement money and never have to get hit by a 300lb man from behind again.

I have a hard time believing Aaron Rodgers can stay healthy for 2 more seasons at 40 and 41 years old.  He's dealt with injuries throughout his career and while some years he could play through it (the calf injury and the knee injury), that is only going to be more challenging at his age.  You didn't have those concerns with Brady because he didn't have the history of getting banged up like Rodgers.  And we're talking about a guy who likes to extend plays.  There's only so much you can do to protect a QB like him.

On top of that, he already looked like he might be on the decline in his final year in Green Bay.  Hand injury and losing Davante Adams played a role in that but still.  I think a lot of things are working against Rodgers having a great enough year to want to return in 2025, but we'll see.  They can definitely make the playoffs with a regressed Rodgers, and maybe if they get the right match-ups have a great run in the postseason.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, MaddHatter said:

I have no idea what Sirius is paying Brady (couldn't find the renewal) but I think ESPN is paying McAfee $13/m yr for the rights to his show and pulling it off Youtube and onto ESPN.   I know Rogan is making $60-70m/yr for his, but his Podcast seems unique.  Kind of like using Taylor Swift's income to justify becoming a musician.  Anyways, I can see why he'd walk away if he can get a $30-35m/yr deal with ABC/NBC/FOX like Brady and maybe another $10-15m/yr for a podcast plus endorsement money and never have to get hit by a 300lb man from behind again.

Perhaps I'm speculating here, but I can easily see Rodgers thinking he's an immediate peer to Rogan in the podcast game. 

• Like 1