Should Aaron Rodgers retire or play 2 more years?

Championshiporbust

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Yeah, count how many pass plays he had last year.  And then find how many plays he extended.

The ratio between then and now is still very similar.  His body just doesn't allow him to escape as well.  But extending plays is extending plays.

His last year in GB, you knew when the situation was big...3rd down or something like that, he was usually trying to extend the play, even though his legs didn't work as well and his receivers weren't as gifted at running that scramble drill.

He is not a pocket passer, though he should be, because he'd be excellent at it.

Just rewatch his MVP highlights from 2011/2014 compared to 20/21. The difference is noticeable. His style of play has changed significantly. He can't generate the force he used to with his lower body anymore so he has to actually step into his throws now if he wants to be consistently accurate. His last few years in GB we all but eliminated the naked boot from our playbook because he can't outrun DEs like he used to.

1 minute ago, StatKing said:

Just rewatch his MVP highlights from 2011/2014 compared to 20/21. The difference is noticeable. His style of play has changed significantly. He can't generate the force he used to with his lower body anymore so he has to actually step into his throws now if he wants to be consistently accurate. His last few years in GB we all but eliminated the naked boot from our playbook because he can't outrun DEs like he used to.

IMO, you are really grasping at straws now.  Moving the goalposts over and over.

You said he was a pocket passer now.  And he clearly isn't.

Now you are talking about force behind his throws.  Are you going to bring up his footwear or hair length next?

Pick a lane.

Or....you can simply look at his pass attempts last year.  Identify when he threw on time in the pocket and when he held onto the ball and tried to extend plays.  Because that is what was debated here.....you said, clearly, that he was a pocket passer.  I corrected you and said no, he's still an extend the play QB...always has been, always will be.  It is his DNA.

On 2/13/2024 at 8:47 PM, nagahide13 said:

He's going to have to change his game. Less time in the pocket/letting plays develop and more getting the ball out quickly.

20 hours ago, StatKing said:

He's pretty much a pure pocket passer at this point. He hasn't extended plays like that in years.

In case this was forgotten.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

IMO, you are really grasping at straws now.  Moving the goalposts over and over.

You said he was a pocket passer now.  And he clearly isn't.

Now you are talking about force behind his throws.  Are you going to bring up his footwear or hair length next?

Pick a lane.

Or....you can simply look at his pass attempts last year.  Identify when he threw on time in the pocket and when he held onto the ball and tried to extend plays.  Because that is what was debated here.....you said, clearly, that he was a pocket passer.  I corrected you and said no, he's still an extend the play QB...always has been, always will be.  It is his 

Your brain is stuck in 2005. The traditional pocket passer in the mold of Brady or Manning is long gone. All of these guys can move around a bit. I would consider Joe Burrow a pocket passer too but since he occasionally extends plays according to your definition he isn't.  My main point has always been he isn't nearly as mobile as he used to be, I don't even know what you are arguing at this point.

32 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Your brain is stuck in 2005. The traditional pocket passer in the mold of Brady or Manning is long gone. All of these guys can move around a bit. I would consider Joe Burrow a pocket passer too but since he occasionally extends plays according to your definition he isn't.  My main point has always been he isn't nearly as mobile as he used to be, I don't even know what you are arguing at this point.

Your brain keeps moving goalposts to make your post look like it actually makes sense....when it does not.

Depends on team success. 

If they go 6-11 or around thayI think he is done.

If he gets close to the afc championship or whatever he probably gives it another go. 

If Mahomes is healthy it is hard to see Roger's and the Jets besting them

• Like 1

He could probably play at a high level for another 3-5 years, albeit at a level probably lower than his usual bar. 

I don't like the chances of it actually happening though. The Jets seem like an exercise in futility. 

Then again, Manning and Favre were outstanding one day and seemingly shot the next. He could start out this season on fire and fall off of a cliff. Theoretically, he's got the mind to play a Brady style and easily mask some physical deficiencies that come with age, but I can't see him changing his style that much to do so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Your brain keeps moving goalposts to make your post look like it actually makes sense....when it does not.

Once again, watch his highlights from the years I mentioned and tell me you don't notice a significant difference in his style of play..

• 2 weeks later...

He should retire

Brown was covering the Kentucky Derby for CNN in 2013 when she was introduced to Rodgers, then with the Green Bay Packers, at a post-Derby party. Hearing that she was a journalist with CNN, Rodgers immediately began attacking the news media for covering up important stories. Rodgers brought up the tragic killing of 20 children and 6 adults by a gunman at Sandy Hook Elementary School, claiming it was actually a government inside job and the media was intentionally ignoring it.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/13/politics/aaron-rodgers-sandy-hook-conspiracy-theories/index.html

21 minutes ago, adamq said:

He should retire

Brown was covering the Kentucky Derby for CNN in 2013 when she was introduced to Rodgers, then with the Green Bay Packers, at a post-Derby party. Hearing that she was a journalist with CNN, Rodgers immediately began attacking the news media for covering up important stories. Rodgers brought up the tragic killing of 20 children and 6 adults by a gunman at Sandy Hook Elementary School, claiming it was actually a government inside job and the media was intentionally ignoring it.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/13/politics/aaron-rodgers-sandy-hook-conspiracy-theories/index.html

This is why RFK did a soft-launch on him. 

Aaron Rodgers under a big microscope is probably not gonna be good for him.

21 minutes ago, adamq said:

He should retire

I spoke to George W Bush once. He told me 9/11 was an inside job. Why doesnt CNN run that story? Oh right, I made it up, just like they did.

There's nothing wrong about athletes being political, in fact it is good, they have the right to critique where their tax dollars are going. 

But he should retire and let the Jets rebuild around Zach Wilson or some other quarterback. 

It would have been good if Elway or Marino ran for office after they retired....