2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

1 minute ago, detfan782004 said:

Yea it was 2 year deal so not shocked a kicker is cut. 

I like Turner but his inexperience was iffy 

Its funny how crazy the media is this time of year.  They just got done hyping Turner as competing with Badgley after a strong OTA performance and now he is gone.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Its funny how crazy the media is this time of year.  They just got done hyping Turner as competing with Badgley after a strong OTA performance and now he is gone.  

I didn't think he would make it. Based on watching him in college 

14 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That’s why you don’t believe offseason media hype 

• Like 1

From Pro Football Talk:

Bates was kicking for the Michigan Panthers on the Lions’ home field this season and made three field goals of 60 yards or longer. Bates’ accuracy hasn’t been great, but his leg strength is extremely impressive.

Lions cut kicker James Turner after signing UFL kicker Jake Bates - NBC Sports

Hopefully one of them can settle down and take the PK job rather than being the PK by default.  It is a weird move with Turner though.  All he did was make the kicks he was asked to make.  He could turn up again on the PS as it was with Badgely last year if he doesn't land on his feet somewhere else.

Now that I think about it, this seems like the same process they went through with Riley Patterson last year.  They kept him as PK but had competition with Badgley on the PS and apparently didn't respond well.  Now you have Badgley is the PK with at least one other player as legit competition.  Personally, I am hoping one of them does enough to erase the doubts with the coaching staff and allow them to settle the position.  

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

From Pro Football Talk:

Bates was kicking for the Michigan Panthers on the Lions’ home field this season and made three field goals of 60 yards or longer. Bates’ accuracy hasn’t been great, but his leg strength is extremely impressive.

Lions cut kicker James Turner after signing UFL kicker Jake Bates - NBC Sports

Hopefully one of them can settle down and take the PK job rather than being the PK by default.  It is a weird move with Turner though.  All he did was make the kicks he was asked to make.  He could turn up again on the PS as it was with Badgely last year if he doesn't land on his feet somewhere else.

Now that I think about it, this seems like the same process they went through with Riley Patterson last year.  They kept him as PK but had competition with Badgley on the PS and apparently didn't respond well.  Now you have Badgley is the PK with at least one other player as legit competition.  Personally, I am hoping one of them does enough to erase the doubts with the coaching staff and allow them to settle the position.  

I feel like accuracy is easier to fix with a kicker than leg strength.  Obviously neither are easy fixes, but its hard to add strength/distance compared to mechanical adjustments to improve accuracy.  I more than anything just hope whoever wins it settles down and is a little more trustworthy during the season.  I really don't care who it is as the best man will win but like you said, hopefully it is earned more so than the better of two so so choices. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 12:15 PM, Nnivolcm said:

Former Lion Isaiah Buggs arrested again, this time for DV Burglary 2

Apparently he broke into his ex's house with a tire iron and pulled her down the stairs. This lends some credence to the rumors that his issues in Detroit centered around a failed relationship.

https://www.tmz.com/2024/06/18/chiefs-isaiah-buggs-accused-of-dragging-mother-of-child-down-stairs-before-arrest/

• Like 1

23 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Apparently he broke into his ex's house with a tire iron and pulled her down the stairs. This lends some credence to the rumors that his issues in Detroit centered around a failed relationship.

https://www.tmz.com/2024/06/18/chiefs-isaiah-buggs-accused-of-dragging-mother-of-child-down-stairs-before-arrest/

Yikes. 

It's stuff like this that make me apprehensive about buying a jersey or propping someone up too much. As much as I love the game and this team, we don't really know these guys. They can be incredible players on the field, great teammates and then absolutely garbage humans outside of it. It's probably the minority but this is frequent enough where it's not just a handful of guys. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Yikes. 

It's stuff like this that make me apprehensive about buying a jersey or propping someone up too much. As much as I love the game and this team, we don't really know these guys. They can be incredible players on the field, great teammates and then absolutely garbage humans outside of it. It's probably the minority but this is frequent enough where it's not just a handful of guys. 

That might be true but Brad Holmes has done a good job of bringing in good football players who are also good people.  Buggs and Sutton were out biggest problems and they were free agent signings from the Steelers.

16 hours ago, vike daddy said:

and now Turner has been picked up by the Packers, who had three kickers on their roster until cutting one earlier this week, and now have three again.

That kicking job seems to be up for grabs.  All he did was make his kicks when he was in Detroit.  Hopefully, he will continue to do so in Green Bay.  Personally, I would have liked to see the Lions start training camp with a 3-way PK battle.  One of them would probably be an early cut anyway.

• Like 1

It is pretty interesting to see how the lions have progressed based on the position battles going into training camp.  Right now, the biggest questions are:

1.  Pass-rush help for Aidan Hutchinson

2.  #3/#4 WR

3.  PK

4.  Back-up OL roles.

It has been fun to watch how Brad Holmes and his staff built our current roster from where it was when they took over.