Can anyone see the Chiefs trading Travis Kelce this off-season?

DoleINGout

Chiefs have a lot of guys needing contracts this year and next. They traded Tyreek Hill and survived, thrived even. Hill was traded in part because he was due a huge contract but also because he was a little bit of a distraction off the field. Kelce finds himself in the same book as Hill as far as being a distraction. I don’t think it helps Kelce’s case that he disrespected Andy Reid so egregiously on the big stage. While his resume speaks for itself and his age is a factor, Kelce is still productive as an elite tight end and can fetch a return for the Chiefs while freeing up some cap room. It wouldn’t be the most popular move I’m sure with Mahomes, but at this point it wouldn’t surprise me if Kelce is moved in the next couple of months.

• Like 1

I'd be surprised. The money works and they'd save 10-12 by trading him, but the Chiefs need receiving options and Kelce really isn't making enough (15) to worry about.

They're going to cut MVS which will save 12 mil. I have no idea how Chris Jones current contract plays into their cap, but I'm assuming he won't be back. They could save another 10 cutting Justin Reid. I'd guess Kelce will be back before both MVS and Reid.

12 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I'd be surprised. The money works and they'd save 10-12 by trading him, but the Chiefs need receiving options and Kelce really isn't making enough (15) to worry about.

They're going to cut MVS which will save 12 mil. I have no idea how Chris Jones current contract plays into their cap, but I'm assuming he won't be back. They could save another 10 cutting Justin Reid. I'd guess Kelce will be back before both MVS and Reid.

Has Justin Reid underwhelmed in KC? 

The Chiefs aren't even close to cap armageddon yet.    And they have Mahomes' 58M which can be restructured if they really need the $.  It's more about whether they think the players are worth the $ to keep them than anything else.

So no, Kelce's not going anywhere.   I can see retirement after the 2024 season, though.   He definitely showed wear throughout Nov-Dec of this year.   He picked it up for the playoffs, but that's a bigger flag than his $ hit.

• Like 1

Just now, Soggust said:

Kelce has said a few times that he will only play for Andy Reid and if Reid was to retire that he would retire as well.

I don't think trading him is even an option, tbh.

Interesting. What a huge off season it will be if Reid and Kelce were to retire at the same time. 

26 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Has Justin Reid underwhelmed in KC? 

I'm not a KC fan and don't watch them more than the average bear, but my understanding is that Reid has been pretty good but not great. They're deep at safety and can save 10.75 mil cutting him with 3.5 dead. Reid is probably 2nd on the chopping block (in terms of guys that will save significant money) just due to circumstances, but he's not a sure goner like MVS

Edited by nagahide13
  • Like 1