Amon-Ra St. Brown contract extension

Louis Friend

52 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Yea in terms of guys who would need extensions but "don't make the cut" in the future im thinking of guys like

Kerby Joseph

Derrick Barnes

This year I'd already let Jonah walk.

I love Captain Jack and hope he's Spielman 2.0 but you could make the argument that he'd be in that mix playing LB. If the Lions could get production out of a veteran guy like Anzalone out of FA and develop a guy like Barnes into a starter, they could decide paying top dollar for Campbell isn't good cap management. Especially if his agent is pressing for a huge contract. 

20 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I love Captain Jack and hope he's Spielman 2.0 but you could make the argument that he'd be in that mix playing LB. If the Lions could get production out of a veteran guy like Anzalone out of FA and develop a guy like Barnes into a starter, they could decide paying top dollar for Campbell isn't good cap management. Especially if his agent is pressing for a huge contract. 

He would basically need to be Fred Warner or Roquan Smith, an All Pro

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

Yea in terms of guys who would need extensions but "don't make the cut" in the future im thinking of guys like

Kerby Joseph

Derrick Barnes

Considering the up and down play of Kerby Joseph last year, he should be focused on keeping his roster spot for 2024.  Bad tackling and not-smart football plays aren't good traits to have on tape if you are trying to stay on the roster.  

2 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I will say this, there's almost 0 LBs that look good their first year. Even those two guys took a few years to get to Pro Bowl level play.

I'm a big Campbell fan. So it's not the player as much as it's the position. If we have to start making tough choices, I feel like he's going to be an early guy on the chopping block compared to some of the other names that have been listed. 

8 hours ago, General Tso said:

Kerby Joseph

Derrick Barnes

Agreed on Jonah. He has been good but unless he signs a two year deal, I think we need to look elsewhere.  Iffy is another who might get left out or priced out if he puts together a full season like he just finished. We will have to keep drafting well and filling in the holes. It’s why NFL windows are so small/short if you don’t have a Mahomes.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Agreed on Jonah. He has been good but unless he signs a two year deal, I think we need to look elsewhere.  Iffy is another who might get left out or priced out if he puts together a full season like he just finished. We will have to keep drafting well and filling in the holes. It’s why NFL windows are so small/short if you don’t have a Mahomes.  

How much of that is Mahomes vs Reid?

Guys like Burrow and Josh Allen are in the conversation with Mahomes for being that "franchise" guy. However, they haven't been able to have the same type of success that he's had. Reid really didn't start on this kind of run until PM was in year 2. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Guys like Burrow and Josh Allen are in the conversation with Mahomes for being that "franchise" guy. However, they haven't been able to have the same type of success that he's had. Reid really didn't start on this kind of run until PM was in year 2. 

You might have a point on that.  I suspect Patrick Mahomes will always be Patrick Mahomes no matter who his HC happens to be but there is something special about the relationship between Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes.  The seem to bring the best out in each other.

On 2/16/2024 at 8:46 PM, Karnage84 said:

It’s a mix of the two, and maybe if Josh Allen or Burrow had Andy Reid they would be winning championships.  But Andy wasn’t before Mahomes, even though he had the Chiefs as a top 3 team in the AFC with Alex Smith.  So he needed that QB talent to get over the hump. The main point is that unless you have an elite QB who makes those around them better, you’re going to struggle to maintain a championship window for more than a couple of years. 

On 2/15/2024 at 1:22 PM, Lions017 said:

Are they? He's one of the best receivers in the league. You have to pay guys to keep them around. We all knew this was coming eventually. ARSB, Sewell, Goff...you have to pay talent to keep talent. 

I didn’t really explain myself. 

What I was referring to is how high the salaries are for top players not ARSB specifically. I agree you have to spend to keep star players on the roster. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Detroit failed not resigning him before Evans. Now with Evans getting 26M per year I think this deal costs a couple more mil per year for ASB 

His agent could also have been wanting to wait before finalizing a deal. 

What's $2-3M/year extra in the bigger picture of things? 

4 years at $106M ($26.5M) apy, throw in whatever some guaranteed. That extra $6M is going to be chump change by the time he'd see the end of things anyway. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

His agent could also have been wanting to wait before finalizing a deal. 

What's $2-3M/year extra in the bigger picture of things? 

4 years at $106M ($26.5M) apy, throw in whatever some guaranteed. That extra $6M is going to be chump change by the time he'd see the end of things anyway. 

That seems about right

16 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

That seems about right

By the end of that contract, he'd be 28 years old and in line for another 2-3 year deal (kind of like the one that Evans just signed). His game isn't built on straight-line speed, so he should be able to continue to operate at a fairly high level later on in his career.