Which offense was the Greatest of All-Time?

MaddHatter

What offense was the Greatest of All-Time?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What offense was the Greatest of All-Time?

• 2007 New England Patriots
    • 2013 Denver Broncos
    • 1999 St. Louis Rams
    • 2011 Green Bay Packers
    • 2018 Kansas City Chiefs
    • 1998 Minnesota Vikings
    • 2016 Atlanta Falcons
    • 1990 Buffalo Bills
    • 1983 Washington Redskins
    • 1984 Miami Dolphins
    • 1994 San Francisco 49ers
    • 2012 New England Patriots
    • 1967 Oakland Raiders
    • 2011 New Orleans Saints
    • 2019 Baltimore Ravens
    • 2021 Dallas Cowboys
    • 2000 St. Louis Rams

Looking at points scored vs. the league average that season, the gap between them and the second highest scoring offense after them, or factoring in the defenses they faced, injuries they endured, etc; which offense was the most impressive and deserves to be named the Greatest of All-Time?

17 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

The 2007 Pats had the best season but at their peak,the 2000 rams were also  in a another world(they had like 45 PPG in the first 6 games before the injury of Warner!)

The 1998 Broncos deserve to be mentionned too

I almost listed the Broncos, was tough call and maybe I should have 

3 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

The 2004 Colts definitely belong on this list.

Could see the case for them in the Top 20 for sure. 522 wasn't top 10 all-time, but they were only 40pts higher than the #2 Chiefs and the league average points that season was pretty high with 7 or 8 teams all surpassing 400

9 minutes ago, Danger said:

1950 Rams played in era that should basically disqualify them for the level of competition.

How could I have forgotten about the 1950 Rams!  Most PPG and first team to put up 60+ in two games. They put up 70 more points then the 2nd highest scoring offense that DECADE (also them, 1951 Rams) and had two different QB's that season with Norm Van Brocklin and Bob Waterfield both tossing the rock and they also shared kicking duties.  Their 38.8 is nearly a full point higher than the 2013 Broncos and is 2 points higher / game than the 2007 patriots.  

0-season-FSTLR-1950.jpg

In that same note, you had the 1961 Houston Oilers and the 1941 Chicago Bears that deserve mentioning.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MaddHatter said:

In that same note, you had the 1961 Houston Oilers and the 1941 Chicago Bears that deserve mentioning.

Again, these teams were playing against people who were working in grocery stores or bars, and they're not really valid answers because of it IMO.

On paper, the GSOT has always been the most impressive to me.  They were so well-balanced and did it for 3 seasons straight.  HOF QB.  HOF WRs (why isn't Holt in yet?).  HOF RB.  HOF LT.  

The one thing that kind of hurts them is that they turned it over a lot.  Warner had 18 picks in 11 games in 2000, 22 in 16 the next year.  

• Like 3

I'll take any of those Cowboy teams from the mid 90's.

Unreal offensive lines.  Great RB.  QB who could beat you if he had to.  True #1 WR, Novacek at TE....

That line was the best I've seen.  Even if you were in the game in the 3rd quarter, it was just a matter of time until they gassed the DL and then could run all over them.

Then when you committed bodies to stop Emmit, Irvin would kill you.  Harper was a underrated deep threat for them, too.

I know they aren't the sexy pick, but I'll take the most dominant OL and RB combo for this one.

22 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'll take any of those Cowboy teams from the mid 90's.

Unreal offensive lines.  Great RB.  QB who could beat you if he had to.  True #1 WR, Novacek at TE....

That line was the best I've seen.  Even if you were in the game in the 3rd quarter, it was just a matter of time until they gassed the DL and then could run all over them.

Then when you committed bodies to stop Emmit, Irvin would kill you.  Harper was a underrated deep threat for them, too.

I know they aren't the sexy pick, but I'll take the most dominant OL and RB combo for this one.

They scored 23.0 PPG during their prime 8 year run and peaked at 27.2 PPG in 1995. Not once did they lead the NFL in scoring. Sure they were a good offense, but they're really not in the conversation for Greatest of All Time by any real metric.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Danger said:

They scored 23.0 PPG during their prime 8 year run and peaked at 27.2 PPG in 1995. Not once did they lead the NFL in scoring. Sure they were a good offense, but they're really not in the conversation for Greatest of All Time by any real metric.

I thought the point of the poll was to list who you though had the best offense of all time?

This one is mine.  I don't care that you want "sexy" or "flashy".  That's fine. 

I'll take the team with one of the best lines of all time with one of the greatest RB's of all time and a QB who could flat out murder you when you stacked to beat the run.

I don't care how much they scored.  They played to win games and they won a lot of them with that OL.

The old Packers championship teams would also rank high via my metric.  Great OL, great RB's.