Which offense was the Greatest of All-Time?

MaddHatter

What offense was the Greatest of All-Time?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What offense was the Greatest of All-Time?

• 2007 New England Patriots
    • 2013 Denver Broncos
    • 1999 St. Louis Rams
    • 2011 Green Bay Packers
    • 2018 Kansas City Chiefs
    • 1998 Minnesota Vikings
    • 2016 Atlanta Falcons
    • 1990 Buffalo Bills
    • 1983 Washington Redskins
    • 1984 Miami Dolphins
    • 1994 San Francisco 49ers
    • 2012 New England Patriots
    • 1967 Oakland Raiders
    • 2011 New Orleans Saints
    • 2019 Baltimore Ravens
    • 2021 Dallas Cowboys
    • 2000 St. Louis Rams

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'll take any of those Cowboy teams from the mid 90's.

Unreal offensive lines.  Great RB.  QB who could beat you if he had to.  True #1 WR, Novacek at TE....

That line was the best I've seen.  Even if you were in the game in the 3rd quarter, it was just a matter of time until they gassed the DL and then could run all over them.

Then when you committed bodies to stop Emmit, Irvin would kill you.  Harper was a underrated deep threat for them, too.

I know they aren't the sexy pick, but I'll take the most dominant OL and RB combo for this one.

They didn’t even have the best Oline in their division much less the best of all time. 

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I thought the point of the poll was to list who you though had the best offense of all time?

This one is mine.  I don't care that you want "sexy" or "flashy".  That's fine. 

I'll take the team with one of the best lines of all time with one of the greatest RB's of all time and a QB who could flat out murder you when you stacked to beat the run.

I don't care how much they scored.  They played to win games and they won a lot of them with that OL.

The old Packers championship teams would also rank high via my metric.  Great OL, great RB's.

Scoring more points would mean they're a better offense......????????

Blonde GIF - Awkward Blonde Child GIFs

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Danger said:

I would love to have the points per drive and time of possession per drive of the cowboys during the 1992 to 1995 period....They were a great ball control offense and they were at their best come playoffs time.....27 points or more in every of their playoffs game from 1992 to 1995(11 games)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelersfan43 said:

I would love to have the points per drive and time of possession per drive of the cowboys during the 1992 to 1995 period....They were a great ball control offense and they were at their best come playoffs time.....27 points or more in every of their playoffs game from 1992 to 1995(11 games)

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2biflv/measuring_offenses_by_points_per_drive/

https://imgur.com/a/wCCbA

Source of the data is sadly no longer up, but the data is there and charted. They were typically worse in points per drive than the 49ers teams those same years, and they were on par with most very good offenses, but not really on the same level as your typical candidates for a thread like this ('98 Vikings, GSOT Rams, '04 Colts, '07 Pats, etc.)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Danger said:

Running the ball takes longer to score than throwing.   Shortens the game.  

It isn't difficult to understand.  But, it also isn't "flashy" like passing.

Dog Suffering From Diarrhea Has A Surprise on Make a GIF

As a Bears fan, it pains me to bring them up, but I have to admit that the 2011 Packers have to be in the conversation.  That group just made it look so easy.  Also from the NFC North, no conversation about the best offenses of all time is complete without talking about the 1998 Vikings, as well.  Rookie Moss, Carter, Robert Smith, Randall Cunningham.  That was a fun group to watch, if they weren't playing your team.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Running the ball takes longer to score than throwing.   Shortens the game.  

It isn't difficult to understand.  But, it also isn't "flashy" like passing.

Cowboys never led the league in rushing yards during their tenure. Emmit Smith led the league in Yards per attempt once, in 1993.

They ran a lot, sure. That's a strategy, it's fairly reliable. But c'mon man, we're talking about greatest of all time, not greatest in one of those specific years.