Which Trade Back Would You Do?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which Trade Back Would You Do?

• Denver
    • Cincinnati
    • Indy
    • Philly
    • Bottom-10 of 1st round

If Poles made a trade back to acquire more draft capital, which would you prefer? This is assuming roughly the following players go off the board 1-8:

1) Williams

2) Maye

3) Daniels

4) MHJ

5) Nabers

6) Odunze

7) Alt

😎 Turner

9) ???

Option 1 - Denver trades #12, #81, and #210 for #9

With calls coming in for the pick and DEN wanting a QB, DEN makes a move to get in front of MN for sure. Russ is going to be cut, but JJ is there for Payton to grab for his future QB. Stidham will start until JJ is either ready or forced to play, but Den hopes that this is the last time they need to give up draft capital for their QB

Option 2 -Indy trades #15 and #46 for #9

With NYJ at 10 and a team desperate to win with Arod, they'll be looking on the offensive side of the ball with their defense mostly set. Ballard knows that a QB's best friend is a good TE and makes the move up for Bowers. With Bowers, a franchised Pittman, and Taylor, plus an improved offensive line from a season ago, Indy moves forward in the age of Richardson

Option 3 - Cincinnati trades #18, #49, and #175 for #9

Cincinnati has had 2 lost seasons since drafting Burrow, both due to Burrow getting hurt. With the Jets right behind us at #10, CIN makes a move up for an OT to help protect JB, while also giving them an option if/once OBJ is cut or moved to RT. Olu is on the board, and CIN makes their move to protect their franchise QB

Option 4 - Philly trades #22, #50, and #53 for #9

Roseman is one of the boldest GMs in the league and saw his defense play very poorly, especially his aging corners. In a passing league, he realizes no matter how good his Dline was, if they don't get to the QB, his defense was getting beat. In this scenario, all the top CBs are in play and philly makes a move up to make sure they get their choice before potential run around CB needy teams like MN/DEN/LV/NO/INDY. 2 2nds plus their 1st might be steep, but Roseman is aggressive to get CHI off their 2nd top-10 pick and figures he can recoup some draft capital by trading Reddick. 

Option 5 - Screw it, lets drop back bottom of the round

Maybe TB wants to move up for a QB like JJ. Maybe one of the other playoff teams think they're one piece away from the SB and trade a 2nd/future 1st and a player to get that last guy. Either way, its a much further drop but provides stronger future value than the other trades

It depends on how free agency went and what was obtained in trade for Fields, but I'd probably be inclined to sit at 9 and take Fashanu.

Bengals would never make that offer, they'd just sit tight at 18 and draft whomever falls to them.

If I had to make a trade, then probably Indy. Gaining a second rounder is good and at least 1 of players like Latu, Bowers, Thomas, Mims will be on the board. 

• Like 1

With Fashanu sitting there I would be hard-pressed to let it go. But Bowers is available too. 

So if I have to pick a trade then it would be DEN. You're not getting the capital back but you watch DEN take McCarthy, NYJ will almost surely take Fashanu, and then MIN has needs of QB if they don't get Cousins or Mayfield, might lose Hunter so EDGE could be a massive priority, etc. So you can almost assume Bowers will be there at 12, and it would be unusual to see any of the teams from the 13-20 range jump up for a TE unless they really thought Bowers would offset their need at WR. 

So I'd stay put for that or take the trade with DEN if I had to trade. I just have Fashanu and Bowers rated too high to want to miss on them if one is available. 

• Like 1

Hmmm let me think this through aloud or in writing ...

If I am trading out of a top 10 pick I want to pick up a next year 1 just as a general policy. 

Top 10 picks are generally blue chip players or you think they will be.

But that isn't on the table in this hypo ... I am supposed to trade. I am going to leave option 5 aside because terms weren't spelled out.  

Who is on board that is top 10 worthy?  Maybe Bowers, Fashanu and Verse. 

I want a good WR.  Top 3 are gone.  Bowers is kind of like drafting a top WR.   You don't have a big need for Fashanu, but really good LTs are sooo hard to find.   Ditto with edge rushers.

I want those guys. 

In a trade down, who would I want to target in later first? 

I hear a lot of good things about Brian Thomas, Jr.  We have a dire need for Jackson Powers Johnson.

I think I go with Indy or Philly.  Indy because comes with an early 2nd and a not far drop down.  Philly because it comes with two 2s. 

If I go with Indy one the blue chippers may fall to me at 15 still ...

But can I get get Brian Thomas or Powers Johnson at 22?  I would be pretty happy with that outcome.  They may both go before 22 though.  

Let's do the Philly deal and risk it.  

Let me run a sim ...

Well we missed Brian Thomas, but we got Power-Johnson at 22.

Caleb Williams

QB | USC

A+

Jackson Powers-Johnson

IOL | Oregon

A

Tyler Nubin

S | Minnesota

A

Roman Wilson

WR | Michigan

A

Bump this thread in 4 weeks after most major FA signings and presumably Fields trade have already happened. So much of what we’ll be looking to target will be dictated by who we sign. If we add Hunter and/or Cushenberry and/or Calvin Ridley then those perspective positions are likely off the table in R1 which for me at least may drastically change to where (or if) I’m willing to move down. 

48 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Hmmm let me think this through aloud or in writing ...

If I am trading out of a top 10 pick I want to pick up a next year 1 just as a general policy. 

Top 10 picks are generally blue chip players or you think they will be.

But that isn't on the table in this hypo ... I am supposed to trade. I am going to leave option 5 aside because terms weren't spelled out.  

Who is on board that is top 10 worthy?  Maybe Bowers, Fashanu and Verse. 

I want a good WR.  Top 3 are gone.  Bowers is kind of like drafting a top WR.   You don't have a big need for Fashanu, but really good LTs are sooo hard to find.   Ditto with edge rushers.

I think if you get Fashanu you make two spots on the OL better. I think Fashanu has potential to be a top 10 OT but needs to continue developing. So I think he will be better than Jones at LT, but Jones kicks inside and I am really confident he can outplay Davis (or if he would get kicked to C then he could outplay what Whitehair and Patrick played, but I don't believe they try it so I'll stick with OG). That means Davis is the swing OG but Jenkins has injury concerns every year, so I am not worried about him being the highest paid back up G in the league for one season. Get a FA C (I'm still on the train for Williams personally) and you have upgraded 3 positions with two people, and upgraded the depth at OT and OG. If Fashanu or Wright would go down Jones could kick outside and Davis step in at RG. It would easily be the best OL since 2013 and I'd argue it to be almost as good as the 2006 and 2007 Bears OLs. Definitely lacking in experience compared to those lines but its hard to argue that 3/5 of the OL wasn't already past their primes too.

• Like 1

Philly has way too many holes.
1 RB under contract, no WR3, 2 LB's under contract, 2 safeties who can play some (one coming off ACL), 1 TE who can play and emerging holes.
Cox, Graham and Kelce probably won't be back.
Bradberry and Bayard will likely be cut for financial reasons.

They can get a CB2 in round 1, a wr/lb/ol/s in rounds 2 and 3 depending on who is there.
They'll probably have four 5's to round out the draft.

They didn't trade up 22 spots with the Bears to get Carter, just 1.
GM, Roseman operates under Reid's old philosophy that the more picks you have the more mistakes you can get away with.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I think if you get Fashanu you make two spots on the OL better. I think Fashanu has potential to be a top 10 OT but needs to continue developing. So I think he will be better than Jones at LT, but Jones kicks inside and I am really confident he can outplay Davis (or if he would get kicked to C then he could outplay what Whitehair and Patrick played, but I don't believe they try it so I'll stick with OG).

I really don’t think they want to move Jones - I think if they draft Fashanu or Alt then Jones becomes our swing tackle. They spent a lot on Davis last offseason and because of that I think he’s going to get every chance to be our RG this year. After watching Borom struggle big time when Jones was out last year I’m of the opinion that if they can solidify that depth spot with a guy they’re already comfortable with as a starter while adding a higher potential LT on a longer cost controlled deal then that’s the 2-position upgrade that comes with drafting Fashanu or Alt.

By the time we get to draft day I don’t expect C will be a position of need for us. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, babyatemydingo said:

Philly has way too many holes.
1 RB under contract, no WR3, 2 LB's under contract, 2 safeties who can play some (one coming off ACL), 1 TE who can play and emerging holes.
Cox, Graham and Kelce probably won't be back.
Bradberry and Bayard will likely be cut for financial reasons.

They can get a CB2 in round 1, a wr/lb/ol/s in rounds 2 and 3 depending on who is there.
They'll probably have four 5's to round out the draft.

They didn't trade up 22 spots with the Bears to get Carter, just 1.
GM, Roseman operates under Reid's old philosophy that the more picks you have the more mistakes you can get away with.

yeah, it's just a thought exercise my guy, i wouldn't look much further into it. i just picked different teams every 3-4 picks, i'm not saying these are going to happen, just rough locations and what ~could~ be the compensation 

23 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

yeah, it's just a thought exercise my guy, i wouldn't look much further into it. i just picked different teams every 3-4 picks, i'm not saying these are going to happen, just rough locations and what ~could~ be the compensation 

Plausible iff Philly loves a guy so much after the combine and Chicago rounds it out with a 3rd for a 5th.

It would take the Eagles down to seven picks (1,3,3,5,5,5, poss. 5/6) depending on comps.

Option 4 is by far the best value, BUT...

Right now the guys I'm targettiing in the back half of the first round are:

1. JPJ at Center   (I think you have to take him by pick 20)

2. Brian Thomas Jr. at WR        (who is imo undervalued right now.... he's typically ranked ~25, but he should go ~15)

3. Maybe Troy Franklin or Ladd McKonkey at the very end of rnd 1.

I also would need to do a deeper dive on the OL prospects in that range than I admittedly have.

The point is my evaluations of potential targets when dropping back would heavily dictate where I'd ultimately drop to.... If I have JPJ as a foundational pillar of the offensive line for the next decade, I'm not taking a deal that puts me out of range for him, for example, so I'd probably skip Philly....  If he grades out as just a normal center, you can look more at Philly and perhaps snagging a WR.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I really don’t think they want to move Jones - I think if they draft Fashanu or Alt then Jones becomes our swing tackle. They spent a lot on Davis last offseason and because of that I think he’s going to get every chance to be our RG this year. After watching Borom struggle big time when Jones was out last year I’m of the opinion that if they can solidify that depth spot with a guy they’re already comfortable with as a starter while adding a higher potential LT on a longer cost controlled deal then that’s the 2-position upgrade that comes with drafting Fashanu or Alt.

By the time we get to draft day I don’t expect C will be a position of need for us. 

A veteran swing OT would be a solid option. Jones isn’t awful and he’s young enough to improve.