I’ve got a feelin…

rlon

A lot of good debate here, and I can certainly appreciate where the opposing viewpoints are coming from.  I don't begrudge the "decision makers" with what they have to decide here.  As we all know, the NFL is a fickle business, with a lot of short memories, yet some long ones as well. 

My point, however, is that they need to decide whether they should throw their 'weight' at the problem in supporting their 1st Rd Draft choice, less than 2 years ago, with very little reassuring evidence, that Kenny can be our QBOTF. 

Then, they have to manage the financial aspects of this decision, both IRT cap space, and future merch, advertising, and ticket sales. Regardless of how we feel, I think we all can agree that bringing in Fields, in the immediate sense, will spark a lot of interest, and fan spending, since he's an exciting prospect, who is still a year younger than Pickett, and TBH, has shown more than Pickett, so far in his career.

But then, they have to balance out that if they scrap Pickett for Fields, and Fields doesn't progress at all in the next couple of years, those 'long memories' will start to rear their ugly heads, both fans and press, saying...

"See, they wasted their 2022 1st Rd pick, and now, in 2026, they are still left without a franchise QB, and have to start over, again, but now, they've invested X amount of $ in Fields, and are now stuck with Fields, because they have no Cap Space, and were yet, good enough to not be drafting in the top 15." .

And yes, I get all the franchises have to make tough decisions, every year, but the problem is, at that point, it will have been a decade since we've even won a playoff game.

Regardless, this is why I personally will not be upset at whichever direction they choose...the safe play is to believe in Kenny for another year, maybe 2, then start over with whatever FA QB is available, or getting lucky in the draft, at the end of the 1st Rd.  But, the higher upside decision, is to throw all their eggs into the 'Fields' basket.  The 3rd option would be to draft Penix/Nix/McCarthy/Rattler, and hope he develops behind Kenny for a year or two, but then, we've invested too much into the QB position, most likely...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rlon said:

Knee jerk is anything decisive before year 3 on a QB, IMO,

yeah-thats-right-neon-signs-style-text-v

Yes, that right there!  I think that you need to give it some time.  I know we often sour on players quickly, but I will use Mitch instead of Kenny here.  Mitch was drafted in the same class as Mason.  He's played in over 60 games in his career and even the Bears gave him four seasons before they moved on from him.  He was given time to develop. He didn't as teams expected.

especially with the offensive scheme, the left tackle, and the center positions being what they were. Maybe premature is a better word.

I agree with you here.  I think a better word for what people are saying is EXPECTATION. Fans seem to have a higher expectation of Pickett than what is probably realistic based on the circumstances that you outlined. Expecting a guy in his second season to be Peyton Manning.  Kenny actually teased us with his play in the preseason. He looked like he was on his wy and even Matt Canada looked like he was onto something in his scheme.

That said, if it’s Kenny, Mason, and a project/later draft choice, I see Kenny clearly winning that job and looking more in the regular season like he looks in pre season, this year, as we hoped in 2023.

I think they may even get two veterans.  The Steelers did this when Ben was young.  Although the year that they drafted Dennis Dixon, he had a first round grade by many before getting injured. I would prefer Mason and a mentor type back-up.  Although, I also liked what a young Josh Dobbs did with Big Ben later in Ben's career. 

I am far from sold on Mason. I like him as a backup, liked him more than Mitch, but I still believe the Steelers need a QB that can tuck it and go consistently and effective when they need to and to keep defenses honest.

I think after six season, Mason has shown us who and what he is as a player. He is attractive because he has been in this organization the entire time and has shown some growth for the first time. Is he the savior at QB, no, but can he do what Charlie Batch did for Ben when he got hurt. I think so and maybe even a little better.

Maybe I am a bit old school. Mobile QB's are nice, but personally, I prefer a QB who can pass to one who can run. Having both is not a bad thing, but being able to get the football to Pickens, DJ, Austin, Muth, Mt. Washington, etc is what I really want from a QB.  I believe Pickett can do this with the right help around him starting with fixing the OL. He has weapons to score.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I think that they have two free agents in Daniels and Seumola.  Then you draft 1-2 round RT, LT, and Center.

No different than when they had Pouncey, DeCastro, and Gilbert as 1-2 round picks. Unfortunately Gilbert got hurt.

In 2025 with Daniels, 2026 with Seumalo, but we still spent a 1st on Jones, need a C, and RT which will cost draft and or cap.

Ben couldn't do this early on either. He didn't have average tools he had Plaxico and Hines as a rookie at WR and a power run game with Bettis, Duce, and Fast Willie Parker. Ben may still be the worst statistical winning QB in a SB. I love Ben, but people seem to forget that he still needed to develop. He could not carry the team in the early years like he could in 2008 and beyond. Those years 2014-2018 were some serious missed opportunities for the Steelers.

I was one of the people preaching patience with Kenny early.  But Ben had Plax in his rookie year only.  He had a bad/average OL early.  But Ben also showed much more early on than Kenny has.

You were expecting that from a QB who played less than 16 games his rookie year and has not played 32 yet in TWO years.  Last year was Pickett's second season, not his fifth.  Now he is at a point that he must do it year three.  People don't give QB's enough time to develop. Jordan Love got to sit behind Aaron Rogers. Even Mason played behind Ben. Kenny played behind Mitch and Mason....🤷‍♂️

Yes I am, at least signs that he can do it.  I’m not that confident in it with him.  Like, I know it was a joke, but someone posted on X “it’s 2065, and Kenny at 65 is still just waiting for OL, weapons, and an OC to develop”.

In a perfect world yes.  However, the scheme was horrible and the OL play was as well. Kenny's pocket presence was horrible and a lot of that had to do with him getting "happy feet."  He has been injured and or concussed in both seasons. It's not like Kenny isn't mobile. He may not be as elusive as Mitch was, but he also isn't a statue in the pocket foot wise.

So again, it comes back to he needs “perfect” but even when you look at the throws where he got good protection things were off with it.  Like, to be honest that’s where I sit with Kenny.  He needs things to happen for him rather than make things happen.

After 26 - 27 games in two years with a bad OC, offensive scheme, and OL, how can anyone objectively say that Kenny Pickett is a finished product?  Or he is who he is and can't get better? Kenny has been sacked over 50 times in those games and that's not including the hits, pressures, and hurries not included. The running game has functioned half a year in his two seasons. I am not saying Pickett is going to be the next great Steelers QB. I just don't have enough data and proof to say that he is or is not. Give him a chance. You set your young talent up for success, not expect a rookie or second year guy to "carry the team." The only QB that I saw who could come close to doing that was Peyton Manning. Even Tom Brady was once called "a game manager."  The Patriots had a great defense and always had a good OL.  Sometimes you can learn from the success of others. Kenny owns his stats, but honestly, it all wasn't his fault.

This turns into what @Dcash4 talked about with sunken cost fallacy.  Now you will create a situation where you are going to put things in place around Kenny to try to make him succeed rather than just say, “let’s do what’s best for us and if not let’s move on.”  And the issue I have is there is where the excuse making for Kenny can really continue.  So let’s say Jones is iffy at LT to start the year and we have a C that’s a rookie, and RT that’s up and down - how much longer do you need to give Kenny?  What if DJ starts dropping passes again?  GP struggles to get open?

I’m not even asking Kenny to “carry the team” with this.  I’m merely asking him to make routine plays without perfect execution happening.  And that’s what I don’t see.  I gave him passes on bailing the pocket in 2022 because of being a rookie, but in 2023 he had plenty of clean pockets to step into and bailed anyways.  He had plenty of times where he had to anticipate a break, and failed to and it turned into a sack or a big hit because he was waiting to see the guy open.

Really my post to my comes back to for me is we can’t solo say that getting better right now is about putting better around Kenny, we can’t make everything about better line because then we can’t afford good WR’s.  So something somewhere is going to have to be less than ideal, and I don’t feel like Kenny at this point can do with this less than ideal on the line, and his anticipation makes me work when WR’s are below average.

Just now, Ward4HOF said:

A lot of good debate here, and I can certainly appreciate where the opposing viewpoints are coming from.  I don't begrudge the "decision makers" with what they have to decide here.  As we all know, the NFL is a fickle business, with a lot of short memories, yet some long ones as well. 

I think discussion is a great thing. This is how we learn.  I have learned quite a bit from many in this forum who have seen things that I didn't or differently. 👍

My point, however, is that they need to decide whether they should throw their 'weight' at the problem in supporting their 1st Rd Draft choice, less than 2 years ago, with very little reassuring evidence, that Kenny can be our QBOTF

Kenny may or may not be the QBOTF, but you have to give him or any other QB that you would bring in the tools to be successful. 

Then, they have to manage the financial aspects of this decision, both IRT cap space, and future merch, advertising, and ticket sales. Regardless of how we feel, I think we all can agree that bringing in Fields, in the immediate sense, will spark a lot of interest, and fan spending, since he's an exciting prospect, who is still a year younger than Pickett, and TBH, has shown more than Pickett, so far in his career.

It is not just age, but experience. Pickett was smart and played an extra year of college. It made him a first round draft choice. Fields while younger, has an extra year under his belt and to my point, was given three full years to do something. Some Bears fans think he should be given another chance. They are saying the same thing "put weapons around Fields."  I don't hate Fields at all, but I don't want to acquire him at the expense of improving other areas around the team.  If Chicago said a 4th, yes, there's the other veteran QB. I am honestly not as certain as many that he would beat out Pickett in an open competition. The fans would clamor to buy a Fields jersey. I got a lot of old jerseys in my closet that I thought were going to be good too.

But then, they have to balance out that if they scrap Pickett for Fields, and Fields doesn't progress at all in the next couple of years, those 'long memories' will start to rear their ugly heads, both fans and press, saying...

Nothing is a 100% guarantee. This is why I say stick with what you invested in two years ago. You made a decision and see it through.  I don't believe that Kenny is another case of Alonzo Jackson.

"See, they wasted their 2022 1st Rd pick, and now, in 2026, they are still left without a franchise QB, and have to start over, again, but now, they've invested X amount of $ in Fields, and are now stuck with Fields, because they have no Cap Space, and were yet, good enough to not be drafting in the top 15."

Why do that with Fields? He was not who the Steelers drafted. If he was they would be speaking of him as they are Pickett. Stick with the developing draft pick that you know and invested in.

And yes, I get all the franchises have to make tough decisions, every year, but the problem is, at that point, it will have been a decade since we've even won a playoff game.

I hear people say that, but winning "a" play-off game does nothing for this fan base. We truly won't be happy until another Lombardi Trophy is in the trophy case. The you won "a play-off game" will sound like "Yeah, but no losing seasons."

Lurch-meme.jpg

Regardless, this is why I personally will not be upset at whichever direction they choose...the safe play is to believe in Kenny for another year, maybe 2, then start over with whatever FA QB is available, or getting lucky in the draft, at the end of the 1st Rd. 

Not many seem to believe that this is the right decision. For all of the what to do in a year or two talk, what about when he succeeds?  What if he wins the division, a play-off game (or two or more)?  What if he develops into what they thought he would when they drafted him? That's a good problem to have.

But, the higher upside decision, is to throw all their eggs into the 'Fields' basket. 

I am not so sure. Another Bears cast-off QB that the Steelers think they can turn around to be something. Mitch Tribisky was drafted higher than Fields.  No one says, "If Fields is so good, why are the Bears moving on from him?"  "What makes the Steelers think that they can do any better with him?"

The 3rd option would be to draft Penix/Nix/McCarthy/Rattler, and hope he develops behind Kenny for a year or two, but then, we've invested too much into the QB position, most likely...

And you still have other holes that don't help you make an objective decision on your investment from two seasons ago.... I dunno, but those are my thoughts.

• Like 1

Here’s my unfortunate truth about the situation with Kenny at this point, and it blends some of what I’ve thought about team building along with @Dcash4’s thinking.

You can only really afford to pay 5-7 top end contracts to starters, but you are going to have to balance that with 4-6 rookies outplaying their rookie contracts.  With Kenny, you would need to likely say (based on these calls of better OL play and better WR play along with the run game being good) is that 4-5 of those top end contracts and 2-3 of those rookies would need to be on the offensive side because based on this conversation you would need all 5 OL and 2 WR’s there (or pass catchers).  But then you also need your RB’s, TE’s, and rotational offensive parts to be good.  And a OC that can make his job easier.

But then you end up with all but 1-2 contracts and 2-3 rookies outplaying their contract on the defense.  So basically think of right now you can only have Minkah, TJ as the contracts, JPJ and Benton as the rookies outplaying their contracts.  So you need everything else to basically be Roberts and Kazee level players (so no Highsmith).

So that means you will need to put in money on keeping all of that, which means you will need to spend picks on everything else, but if one of those highly paid guys go down you are hurting (kinda like Ben’s prime).

I dunno, I feel like if you have a QB where you can’t say that “I have a dollar value on position X, we need someone that can make that position look like value Y” then he’s not a starter. That’s honestly what I think of Kenny right now.  I don’t feel like you can keep OL under a certain amount, WR under that amount and see Kenny able to get a higher value out of it.  Just look at the people saying DJ, GP, Muth are wasted as pass catchers because of Kenny.  yet so many say that they think that group is a better group of pass catchers in the NFL.  So put on tape where the blocking id good, and Kenny just misses on it.  So you’re telling me that a guy, when things are right, can’t get it done all the time is someone we should incest more in around?

3 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I think that is exactly what most people have toward Pickett  (knee-jerk). Limited results (less than two seasons worth of games played, hurt often, poor OL, poor protection, hit a lot, bad play-calling, bad situational football, yet why is he not Big Ben, Brock Purdy, or any other good QB?  Emotions, he's washed up and is not good because he hasn't looked good.

Pickett has actually played in under 32 games and has been hurt in three or four of those games as well.   He has not been set up to for success.  Big Ben actually wasn't set up for success, but was a different type of prospect.  Despite having Big Ben, the Steelers did not go to another SB his best years as a QB and as good as Ben was talent wise, he never took off to the level of Brady, Manning, or Brees. I don't think it was because Ben wasn't good enough, but a lot of that was support on the OL.

When you were not a fan of how he looked in college and he comes out and shows about what you expect for two straight seasons, it is NOT a knee jerk.     Knee jerk would have been if after his first month or two, I completely gave up on him....or hell, I will even give you his rookie season.

But when a guy doesnt progress, like, at all, in his first two years, it sure as hell isnt a good thing and doesnt bode well for his future.

I didnt need Pickett to look like a star to have some faith in him....I just needed to see some growth.   I saw none.     Even good QBs in bad situations show a little improvement as time goes on.    

In what area has Kenny improved in in his first two years?

Once again....I am not saying Kenny cannot improve.    I think he can.    I just think its extremely limited, and many felt his ceiling was extremely limited coming out,

Hence...not kneejerk at all.

3 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I think if the 49'ers had Pickett, they get similar results as they do with Purdy. If Purdy was in Pittsburgh, he looks  more like Pickett with the tolls and situation the Steelers have for a young QB.  Kenny was just not set up for success.  Mason was ready to be run out of Pittsburgh after the Lions tie a few years ago. Now he plays well in due to injury and as the OL and rushing attack are peaking.

Purdy is much more decisive and goes through his progressions much better than Pickett.

Could Pickett have been coached up to that in San Fran?    Perhaps, but its no guarantee at all.    

There are alot of intangibles as a QB you either have or you dont.

Im not sure Kenny has the same intangibles as Brock Purdy.   In fact, I rather doubt it.

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I say Pickett's struggles are more the things presented around Pickett than the fact that Pickett is just a bad QB. Time will tell very quickly, but any young QB needs some things to be placed around him to be successful.

Yes, Pickett had a bad OL and coaching, but lets not act like he had NOTHING around him.    He had solid weapons.   Perhaps not AB, LeVeon and Bryant weapons....but better than many QBs have.

And while I certainly do not blame Pickett for everything, I think the easy out is to just blame Canada for everything either.

Dont get me wrong, Canaduh was terrible, and as you stated....time will tell how much of an impact he had on Kenny's development, but you can also make the argument that Canada didnt have much to work with either.    As bad as he is/was. he was thrown into a horrid situation in 2021.

Not defending Canada since I dont think he had a grasp of how to run an NFL offense, but drafting a 3rd round talent QB in the first round and expecting a mediocre OC to work wonders with him was always a recipe for disaster.

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I think that Pickett is way more than Ponder, JP, George, etc.  He may never be Big
Ben talent wise, but may actually have some similar success as Ben with a better TEAM around him. I don't see him as a bust and actually think this adversity is going to help propel Pickett.He will be under the microscope, no doubt. I believe he will make plays that he did last preseason, during the regular season.

Maybe, maybe not.   I am just looking at how he has looked so far.

If he progresses....great.    I still dont believe he has the upside to progress into a franchise QB.     

In fact, the worst case scenario is he pulls a Daniel Jones, and he looks just barely "good enough" that we foolishly give him an extension.

• Like 1

I think Kenny can get better, but he's ceiling is low for a starting QB. idk if it's worth pouring more resources in a guy, who at best could be top a 15-20 QB. And he's not reliable to be available. He's always getting dinked up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

Ok, so how does Rudolph get a pass for stinking up the joint, for the games he played under Canada as OC, yet lauded for his play starting after Canada was gone, yet while although a small sample size, the 6 qtrs Kenny played after Canada left, showed a vastly better performance.

Who is giving Rudolph a pass?

My point was that a mediocre QB comes in and immediately looks better than anything Kenny has shown doesnt bode well for him.   

Doesnt mean I want Rudolph to be our starter next year or Kenny to be cut.      I already said I thought Rudolph's stretch as starter was pretty overrated and Kenny could've probably produced a similar stretch.....but in the end, there is a reason they held Kenny out and kept Rudolph in late in the year.   They knew Kenny wasnt necessarily an upgrade over Rudolph and didnt have any more faith in him than they did in Mason.

Thats not where you want your first round, "hopeful" franchise QB to be after two seasons.     

The worst thing that could have happened for Pickett, did happen.  His back-up's, back-up, got to play a few games after Canada was fired, while Pickett got injured after just 6 quarters...

Lets not act like the new offensive scheme and playcalling AFTER Canada was significantly better.   It wasnt.

Again, I think Pickett couldve produced a similar stretch at the end of the year with the improved running game, but the fact that we cant even clearly place him above Mason after two years is pretty bad.

Mason isnt a good starter, but Kenny isnt either.  

Can Arthur Smith change that?    Time will tell....but I doubt he ever becomes more than just "okay".

Would anyone be having this conversation, had Pickett continued to play well, finished the AZ game, possibly adding another 4QC/GWD to his resume, then playing well, again, against the Patriots, thus Mason never getting a shot to play?

You eventually need your QB to start playing better than having the occasional great 4th quarter....which is literally the only feather Pickett has in his cap as a starter, thus far.

As they say, the best ability is availability, especially in this case.  We have no idea how well, or not well, Pickett would've performed if healthy, but signs point to the possibility that Canada's playbook was holding Pickett back, considering he lead the team to a 400+yd output (421yds), the very next game after Canada's firing; the first one since Week 2 of 2020...the season before Canada's tenure? I think that says an awful lot, and pretty much ends any 'chicken or the egg' debate regarding Pickett and Canada.  Canada never had a 400yd game of offense, yet the very next game, Pickett, does.

Okay....

Pickett had one "great" game against an abysmal defense without their franchise QB....he also had ZERO TD's and only managed to "lead" them to 16 points.

Look, my intentions here were never to start dumping on Kenny.    I would like nothing more than for him to progress and become a good QB.    

My entire point all along is that, despite what some Steeler fans want to believe, its much more than just a "knee jerk" to believe Kenny isnt the answer to our QB problems.

Again, MANY of us did not like him coming out.   He has shown next to nothing to change anyones mind.    

Did the situation Kenny was drafted into help him?   Hell no....which is another huge reason I was against drafting him, or any QB that wasnt a blue chip prospect.    

We were never in a great position to facilitate or coach up a project QB, and despite Kenny's age and "starting experience". he needed alot of work coming out.     

And you may say "well if he needed alot of work coming out, why not give him more time to grow?"    Well, I am willing to give him that time (for lack of better options, really), but I do not think its going to pay off.

Final question before closing out.....how many QBs who have looked as mediocre as Kenny has in their first two years have gotten notably better?

Blame whoever or whatever you want....but if Kenny ever DID have a chance of succeeding this league, he needed to go to the right situation almost immediately.   His chances are drastically slimmer now.

I suppose he could pull a Geno Smith at some point, but the chances of that are extremely rare, too.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, August4th said:

I think Kenny can get better, but he's ceiling is low for a starting QB. idk if it's worth pouring more resources in a guy, who at best could be top a 15-20 QB. And he's not reliable to be available. He's always getting dinked up. 

Yea, and that’s the issue with Kenny I have now.  His ceiling was low to start with and seems to have just gotten lower.  So that leaves us at a cap by building around him anyways, so build all of that, but let’s also bring in some QB’s with upside to compete.

10 minutes ago, AFF said:

If everything has to be perfect around the QB, then he’s not a franchise QB.

Readers Digest cover version of what I was saying, but amen.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 43M said:

Look, my intentions here were never to start dumping on Kenny.    I would like nothing more than for him to progress and become a good QB.    

My entire point all along is that, despite what some Steeler fans want to believe, its much more than just a "knee jerk" to believe Kenny isnt the answer to our QB problems.

I know you weren't, and I agree a lot with what you are saying, but there are some people who compare what Rudolph did in those few games, but completely ignore how Kenny improved immediately (you can spout poor defense, etc, but we've played a lot of bad defenses, and still looked inept, with Canada at the helm, my point was solely, Kenny, and our offense, improved dramatically, overnight. Then he got hurt, and Rudolph came in, and didn't suck, either, just like Kenny didn't suck the week after.

And I'm not even getting into the the 'knee jerk' discussion, at all.

I am simply looking at our choices right now, and it seems that it's either Fields, for a price, or a couple of even lesser options in FA, for a price on the contract end, so on and so forth.  Essentially, I personally, do not see a better option, outside the organization, right now.

It's really just is the lesser of the 'not-great' options do we have right now, and to me, that is keeping Kenny (and our draft picks), hopefully re-signing Mason, letting them compete, but ultimately, feel Pickett will end up being the better option.  And yes, I'm of the belief that he will improve, but I honestly can't say whether I believe he'll be our answer as our QBOTF, but think we'd be better off seeing how Pickett does in this new situation, and if it turns out to be wrong, then make a better option 'happen', when able, but until then, let's not spend draft picks, for the right to then pay $25M next year, on Fields.

I'd rather simply follow the "save our draft picks, and our cap space/money" option and see what happens, fully understanding that it may not work out long-term for us.  I'd rather that, than go the route of spending picks, and more money, on any of the other options out there, as none of them are great options either...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

I am simply looking at our choices right now, and it seems that it's either Fields, for a price, or a couple of even lesser options in FA, for a price on the contract end, so on and so forth.  Essentially, I personally, do not see a better option, outside the organization, right now.

IMO we aren’t getting Mason back, so you need to do one of these anyways.  Unless you are getting Cousins or Wilson who would likely start over Kenny right away, it needs to be a competition.  IMO give me someone it would actually be a competition with (like Fields) than someone it wouldn’t be (Tannehill).

Edited by warfelg

8 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

And yes, I'm of the belief that he will improve, but I honestly can't say whether I believe he'll be our answer as our QBOTF, but think we'd be better off seeing how Pickett does in this new situation, and if it turns out to be wrong, then make a better option 'happen', when able, but until then, let's not spend draft picks, for the right to then pay $25M next year, on Fields.

Sorry just found this one in there and - IMO you need insurance in case that doesn’t happen because the other routes to getting a potential QBOTF are so hard of give up a ton to move up or overpay in FA.  

53 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Sorry just found this one in there and - IMO you need insurance in case that doesn’t happen because the other routes to getting a potential QBOTF are so hard of give up a ton to move up or overpay in FA.  

I guess I just feel that if we go the route of Fields, then the decision has been made; he'll be the starter, unless injured.  I don't see them trading for the right to pay Fields $25M in May, to be competition, thus having a $25M #2 QB.  I also don't see them rejecting the 5 year option, to 'see what happens'.

If leadership are looking for an answer for the QBOTF, their options are:

1. Hope Pickett Improves...

2. Trade for Fields (most likely option), or one of J. Love, Z. Wilson, Lance, Mac Jones, etc. (Not likely)...or

3. Trade up for one of the Rookies; draft one of the 2nd tier options in Rd 2 or 3

Any of the other options are just placeholders, until the situation gets better.  Am I missing something??

Maybe that last option, will be the way they go, in order to have a 'better' shot at competing in the short term...IDK...

18 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

I guess I just feel that if we go the route of Fields, then the decision has been made; he'll be the starter, unless injured.  I don't see them trading for the right to pay Fields $25M in May, to be competition, thus having a $25M #2 QB.  I also don't see them rejecting the 5 year option, to 'see what happens'.

If leadership are looking for an answer for the QBOTF, their options are:

1. Hope Pickett Improves...

2. Trade for Fields (most likely option), or one of J. Love, Z. Wilson, Lance, Mac Jones, etc. (Not likely)...or

3. Trade up for one of the Rookies; draft one of the 2nd tier options in Rd 2 or 3

Any of the other options are just placeholders, until the situation gets better.  Am I missing something??

Maybe that last option, will be the way they go, in order to have a 'better' shot at competing in the short term...IDK...

You can trade for Fields and give him a 2 year extension like Love got that basically is the 5th year option spread out. Also Fields is going into year 4 so you only have to pick up the option right now. 

EDIT:

This is where I’m in favor of FWIW.  That gives him basically a very heavily incentive laden 3 year $36MM deal.  

And if that’s their thinking that they have to play someone because of this that’s a problem, because why not just apply that logive to Kenny.  Might as well finish out his rookie deal with him as the QB1 just because you spent a 1st on him.  Personally I think if they really feel like Kenny needs competition then you need to bring in a guy like Fields because he’s also someone that has something to prove.  I don’t think Bringing in a guy like Tannehill to ‘compete’ is worth it because if he loses it doesn’t really matter.  His career as a starter is over after this shot anyways.

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1