Was the Russell Wilson trade the worst in NFL history?

Was the Russell Wilson trade the worst in NFL history?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Was the Russell Wilson trade the worst in NFL history?

The Watson trade did enough to drive me almost completely away from the Browns, the NFL, and this website. I haven’t posted here in almost a month and I’ll probably stay away for a while after this. I went from being a passionate fan who liked escaping reality to being filled with complete disdain. But hey, at least they signed Jameis instead of Flacco since he and Watson get along so well. Those jokes write themselves.

I might try again in 2027 when his contract is up. Not even joking.

• Like 1

Its gotta be. All those picks, the money, the dead money and most important it may have sent the Broncos back multiple years. They had two losing seasons with him not to mention they had to fire their head coach. Now moving forward it doesn't look like the Broncos will be competing at least not in 2024. Unless they draft Nix or Penix and they become superstars, Broncos next few years look pretty murky.

Edited by raidersedge

On 3/12/2024 at 3:37 PM, showtime said:

Way too early, but the Bryce Young trade is one to watch and look back on in like 5-7 years.

The trade wasn't that bad. The Panthers simply picked the wrong QB after getting to pick #1. If they'd taken Stroud and he played for them like he did in Houston, they'd be happy with the trade. 

On 3/21/2024 at 2:26 PM, sparky151 said:

The trade wasn't that bad. The Panthers simply picked the wrong QB after getting to pick #1. If they'd taken Stroud and he played for them like he did in Houston, they'd be happy with the trade. 

What? That absolutely makes this a bad trade lol. 

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

What? That absolutely makes this a bad trade lol. 

Uh, no. Panthers made the trade a month before the draft. They just botched the QB evaluation process afterward. If they'd picked Stroud, they would have no regrets about the trade. 

26 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Uh, no. Panthers made the trade a month before the draft. They just botched the QB evaluation process afterward. If they'd picked Stroud, they would have no regrets about the trade. 

But the trade didn’t get them Stroud. It was a terrible trade and your reasoning behind why it wasn’t is just absurd. Seriously, you’re saying it’s not a bad trade because they could’ve picked someone who was good instead…this is crazy logic. 

This is no different than saying the Russell Wilson trade wasn’t bad because Russell could’ve been good and even though he wasn’t the intention to be good was there. It’s just insane reasoning.

39 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

But the trade didn’t get them Stroud. It was a terrible trade and your reasoning behind why it wasn’t is just absurd. Seriously, you’re saying it’s not a bad trade because they could’ve picked someone who was good instead…this is crazy logic. 

This is no different than saying the Russell Wilson trade wasn’t bad because Russell could’ve been good and even though he wasn’t the intention to be good was there. It’s just insane reasoning.

Eh... I get what he's saying. The QB evaluation was off (and even that's questionable, word was the football people like Stroud but the owner liked Young). 

You can't really fault the trade for the poor evaluation. Those are two separate events.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The trade was their decision to move up to the top of the 2023 draft to take a QB they knew they couldn't get at 9. They paid the required price to do so. The Bears are happy with their side of the trade, both at the time and especially now. But the Panthers error wasn't the decision to pay the price to move up, it's what they did when they got there. That's a different decision. 

All things considered, the Watson trade is undoubtedly the worst trade in NFL history. Not only has he been mediocre at best (that’s being generous), but a record breaking fully guaranteed deal, while missing time the past 2 years for both a suspension for 20+ sexual assault allegations and injuries. With several high draft picks being involved in the trade.

On top of all that, the trade cost the team several fans by trading for the biggest scum bag in the NFL. Then the cherry on top is the Browns brought in washed up Joe Flacco midway through the season, a guy who was unemployed all season, and still outperformed Deshaun Watson in just about every major passing metric in a similar amount of games played last season.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 3

Watson hasn't lived up to expectations but the same could be said of Trey Lance for instance. The difference between those and the Wilson trade is the Browns and 49ers found alternative QBs quickly. Broncos are not only still eating 85 mil in dead cap, they may have to sacrifice more draft capital to fill the hole. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2024 at 9:29 AM, MWil23 said:

The Watson trade did enough to drive me almost completely away from the Browns, the NFL, and this website. I haven’t posted here in almost a month and I’ll probably stay away for a while after this. I went from being a passionate fan who liked escaping reality to being filled with complete disdain. But hey, at least they signed Jameis instead of Flacco since he and Watson get along so well. Those jokes write themselves.

I might try again in 2027 when his contract is up. Not even joking.

If the Browns didn't just have a really good season with Flacco at QB, and the Broncos didn't just cut Wilson with a bunch of dead cap space, more people would be talking about Watson as the worst trade and signing of all time.  It really is the worst trade and signing of all time.  Fully guaranteed contract for a guy that can't stay healthy and literally has the worst reputation in the league.  I have no idea how anyone could want to associate with him in any way.  I would be ashamed of myself if I called him a friend.  I would deny even having him as an acquaintance.  No one should be posting the Terrell Owens meme "that's my QB" for D. Watson.  

Yeah, I agree with you.  The NFL moves quickly and a lot of things happen each year, but D. Watson's trade and signing should certainly go down as an all-time failure by the Browns.