Free Agency 2024 Thread!!

textaz03

15 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Figure something is brewing. Maybe they convinced Gilmore to stick around another year.

There is absolutely nothing that can be done to decrease Dak’s $40m cap hit next year when he will be a FA.  Signing an extension will not help.  That is money that has already been paid to Dak but deferred.  It’s time to move on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

There is absolutely nothing that can be done to decrease Dak’s $40m cap hit next year when he will be a FA.  Signing an extension will not help.  That is money that has already been paid to Dak but deferred.  It’s time to move on.

You’re fighting a losing battle. Dak isn’t going anywhere and Dallas is going to re-sign him. We know this with near certainty.

I can live with $40m cap hits, it’s the 50+ ones that make it dicey for me. But, that too will change when $60m becomes the norm for QBs. 

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

You’re fighting a losing battle. Dak isn’t going anywhere and Dallas is going to re-sign him. We know this with near certainty.

I can live with $40m cap hits, it’s the 50+ ones that make it dicey for me. But, that too will change when $60m becomes the norm for QBs. 

Well. Keep in mind that Dak is a FA next year.  Dak accounts for $40m even if he’s playing in NY (or wherever).  To keep Dak on the roster next year (let’s assume he signs a backloaded 4/yr, $200m contract with $100m guaranteed with signing bonus spreed out over 5 years and just for poops and giggles we will give Dak a 1m base pay for 2025) at a minimum Dak will account between $60-70m against the cap).  And guess what… he already accounts for $12m on the 2026 cap.  Then you add in the new signing bonus money ($20m).  Then you add in base salary (about $60m because we only paid him $1m in 2025).  All of a sudden Dak accounts for $90m against the 2026 cap.  So, Jerry takes that $60m base salary and converts half of it to signing bonus/roster bonus to be spread out over 5 years.  Even then, Dak’s cap hit is still $68m.  Dak is still way overpriced and we are still mortgaging our future on a player who struggles in the playoffs without the benefit of bolstering our roster through FA.

15 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Neither are the multitude of loopholes to navigate it I guess. Dallas simply refuses to do it no matter the outcome.

Dak will get extended only when the last free agent is signed

26 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Dak will get extended only when the last free agent is signed

So true. Then, we get to sit and watch the entire process unfold over and over. Dallas fans live in a constant loop. 

Edited by WizardHawk

4 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Remember guys the cap isn’t real. 🤡

It's not. But you have a front office (which doesn't have a single accountant running things) that chooses to not utilize any of the several options at their disposal to make it work in their favor, and then blame it on the big contracts given out to their star players (the same contracts which they likely could have made cheaper had they done them sooner). 

6 minutes ago, D82 said:

It's not. But you have a front office (which doesn't have a single accountant running things) that chooses to not utilize any of the several options at their disposal to make it work in their favor, and then blame it on the big contracts given out to their star players (the same contracts which they likely could have made cheaper had they done them sooner). 

I’m fine with it. Im just gonna write off this next season. Chalk it up to a season of clearing out all the bad contracts and reset the books. 

As of right now, we have like 69 mil in CAP space for 2025. 

We are in full rebuild mode IMO! CeeDee and Micah are our next corner stones. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, textaz03 said:

We are in full rebuild mode IMO! CeeDee and Micah are our next corner stones. 

Possibly, but I have a gut feeling one of them is walking. If I had to bet it’d be Micah. Just doesn’t seem the type to stick imo. Especially if things go south next season. Which at the moment feels more likely than not. That lack of any sort of urgency I could see rubbing him, maybe both the wrong way.  Long shot, I know. But, I’m not really willing to stake anything on it with the dynamic duo running the show either.
Plus, both will push the $35m/yr mark, if not top it as well. 

Edited by WizardHawk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Possibly, but I have a gut feeling one of them is walking. If I had to bet it’d be Micah. Just doesn’t seem the type to stick imo. Especially if things go south next season. Which at the moment feels more likely than not. That lack of any sort of urgency I could see rubbing him, maybe both the wrong way.  Long shot, I know. But, I’m not really willing to stake anything on it with the dynamic duo running the show either.

Oh I agree, I could easily see Micah bolting. Especially if someone offers him some big time money, 38-42 mil py range. If he isn’t willing to negotiate, tag and trade next offseason, is only recourse. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

I mean - can you blame him? I would absolutely do everything in my power not to stick with the Cowboys after seeing the way the Jones's have mishandled the careers of so many of their star players over the last two decades. 

• Like 1