Free Agency 2024 Thread!!

textaz03

16 hours ago, Northland said:

Is there anyone on this forum who truly believes that under Jerry and Stephen's leadership we will see a championship club?

Nope. As long as they treat the team like a financial asset only focused on profit, nothing will change.

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

We would need to find a QB that can play in the playoffs. The Jones’ have done their job very well from about 2011 on imo. Unfortunately we keep getting UDFA and 4th round QBs who overachieve based on draft position, and anoint them. Romo and Dak are a combined 4-9 in playoffs games. That’s not just dumb luck. Either get a QB who can when you games or pay him like a bus driver and build a team with the cap space. Right now we are paying a bus driver like we don’t need anyone else. That’s why everyone is freaking out. Even the Dak fans understand he is about to be exposed this year unless we get him some serious help. 

Numbers don't lie.  The team drafts well but can't get it done in the post season.  I don't know if that's the players, or a  coaching/culture issue.  Maybe some of the players aren't as good as we think they are.  Re the QB.  I don't know who coined the phrase but it went something like if you want to be elite, draft elite.

2 hours ago, Northland said:

Numbers don't lie.  The team drafts well but can't get it done in the post season.  I don't know if that's the players, or a  coaching/culture issue.  Maybe some of the players aren't as good as we think they are.  Re the QB.  I don't know who coined the phrase but it went something like if you want to be elite, draft elite.

We know that culture has a lot to do with it because our “GM” doesn’t hold anyone accountable and emasculates his head coach. It’s also the fact that our QBs haven’t been good enough to get the job done and overcome adversity.

5 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

We know that culture has a lot to do with it because our “GM” doesn’t hold anyone accountable and emasculates his head coach. It’s also the fact that our QBs haven’t been good enough to get the job done and overcome adversity.

I don't think if they had lucked into Brady or Mahomes anything would have been different. Maybe a few more wins in certain seasons, but I highly doubt they'd have had the other pieces in place to win as many championships here as they did in New England, Tampa Bay, and Kansas City.

2 hours ago, D82 said:

I don't think if they had lucked into Brady or Mahomes anything would have been different. Maybe a few more wins in certain seasons, but I highly doubt they'd have had the other pieces in place to win as many championships here as they did in New England, Tampa Bay, and Kansas City.

Which is how we know it’s a cultural issue. Jerry is the problem, has always been the problem, and will always be the problem. He wants a three ring circus, brings all of the attention to himself, and only cares that the team is “relevant”. Winning is not the priority, and hasn’t been for decades.

Edited by plan9misfit

10 hours ago, D82 said:

People need to stop quoting this buffoon… he is a total idiot (Ickes not Mav).   Jerry’s so cheap, right?  He’s only spent $11m this offseason.  For stupid people who don’t understand the cap, one simple question:  why does Dak count $40M against next years cap when Dak is a free agent?  How can a free agent be one of the highest paid QBs next year without a base salary and no team paying him?

The argument is not that Jerry is cheap.  Jerry more than maximizes the salary cap by mortgaging future years to pay current players (see Dak’s $40m next year and $14m in 2026 as proof).  Jerry will pay handsomely.  The issue is not will Jerry pay… it’s who he pays it to.  I’ve been saying for years that paying Dak elite money was incredibly stupid.  This year is the culmination of that stupid contract.  Right now, the cowboys are about $100,000,000 under the 2025 cap (40m of which is Dak)… does anyone really think Jerry is only going to spend $11m next offseason?  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

People need to stop quoting this buffoon… he is a total idiot (Ickes not Mav).   Jerry’s so cheap, right?  He’s only spent $11m this offseason.  For stupid people who don’t understand the cap, one simple question:  why does Dak count $40M against next years cap when Dak is a free agent?  How can a free agent be one of the highest paid QBs next year without a base salary and no team paying him?

The argument is not that Jerry is cheap.  Jerry more than maximizes the salary cap by mortgaging future years to pay current players (see Dak’s $40m next year and $14m in 2026 as proof).  Jerry will pay handsomely.  The issue is not will Jerry pay… it’s who he pays it to.  I’ve been saying for years that paying Dak elite money was incredibly stupid.  This year is the culmination of that stupid contract.  Right now, the cowboys are about $100,000,000 under the 2025 cap (40m of which is Dak)… does anyone really think Jerry is only going to spend $11m next offseason?  

Someone also was analyzing the Jones family's portfolio of business holdings and discovered that the ROI on the Cowboys was the lowest of all of the holdings in their total portfolio, even though it's the most valuable asset. With Stephen at the financial helm, I'm 100% certain that this is also influencing their decisions on paying players, given the lifestyles that the family enjoys. Spending more money impacts their bottom line. Now, I'm not sure how much influence it has, but I'm certain that it's factoring in. As I've said for WELL over a decade: winning is not the priority. Making money vastly outweighs winning, and by a very wide margin. Winning is ancillary, and their business behaviors over the last 10 years are proof positive of that.

Edited by plan9misfit

On 3/24/2024 at 12:07 PM, plan9misfit said:

Nope. As long as they treat the team like a financial asset only focused on profit, nothing will change.

Jerry has been running the team that way ever since he bought it.

23 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Jerry has been running the team that way ever since he bought it.

It’s like a business , and most people are in business for profit 🤷‍♂️, I’m sure most of the owners are the same. 

Trade Alert!!

Trade: Eagles are sending edge-rusher Haason Reddick to the New York Jets for a conditional 2026 third-round pick that could be a second, sources tell ESPN. 

The 2026 pick becomes a 2nd if Reddick has 67.5% playtime this season and has 10 or more sacks. If not, it’s a 2023 third

https://x.com/adamschefter/status/1773802926105927795?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg