Vikings sign Sam Darnold

Not really sure what there is to prove for Cousins. No one has set Super Bowl expectations on him, he’s no longer a top paid QB, he’s not fighting for his career, and the league has already ordained him as a placeholder.

If anyone belongs on that list it’s Justin Herbert. 

Edited by SemperFeist

10 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Yes 

It's the issue I have with "Comeback Player of The Year" awards is that shouldn't you have something to come back to?  If you weren't any good before, there's nothing to really come back to.  If there were a "Most Improved Player" award, give him that, but he shouldn't qualify for Comeback Player of the Year when he never was any good in the first place. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

It's the issue I have with "Comeback Player of The Year" awards is that shouldn't you have something to come back to?  If you weren't any good before, there's nothing to really come back to.  If there were a "Most Improved Player" award, give him that, but he shouldn't qualify for Comeback Player of the Year when he never was any good in the first place. 

i think it should be geared only to overcoming poor health or an injury, not elevated play from one year to the next.

i mean, when you die on the field basically and have to be resuscitated, and then suit up the next season, someone shouldn't be able to top that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

i think it should be geared only to overcoming poor health or an injury, not elevated play from one year to the next.

i mean, when you die on the field basically and have to be resuscitated, and then suit up the next season, someone shouldn't be able to top that.

Agreed!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

There should be an overcoming the Jets award

• Like 2

On Tuesday, offensive coordinator Wes Phillips said that Darnold has done well throughout the offseason and training camp to be well set up for Week 1.

Phillips: “He hasn’t had any issues, really, that I’ve noticed or that have come up. He asks good questions when something does come up in the meeting room. He’s got a lot of experience playing football — and being in different systems, I think you have some history with some concepts. A lot of us run very similar concepts. There might be a tweak here or there, or maybe we coach it a little bit differently, or coach the footwork a little bit differently. But the one thing he’s done is come out and be able to throw the football extremely well throughout the spring, throughout the summer."

“So, we’re really excited about Sam and the kind of year we believe he can have and will have. I don’t think lack of knowledge of the system or anything like that, history with our system is going to be any issue.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/wes-phillips-were-really-excited-about-sam-darnold-the-kind-of-year-we-believe-hell-have

After J.J. McCarthy’s season-ending knee surgery, Sam Darnold is set to go through the 2024 season as Minnesota’s starting quarterback. That’s just fine with star receiver Justin Jefferson, who signed a record-breaking contract extension with the club during the offseason.

In an interview with Ben Goessling of the Minnesota Star Tribune, Jefferson noted his confidence in Darnold since the two have been connecting throughout the summer — particularly in the red zone.

Jefferson: “Those are the money-makers there. That’s somewhere we’ve been struggling the previous year. The plays Sam's making in practices are definitely going to transition to Sundays.”

”It’s going to be different [not having Cousins]. But I want it to be the same for them to have the confidence in me to go and make a play, just like Kirk did in those opportunities and those situations. I low-key want them to have more confidence than what Kirk had. Kirk is more comfortable in the system, with him running it early on in Washington. It’s just to give them an extra boost and extra confidence; I want to go up and make a play for them whenever they give me the chance.”

“I just try to give the quarterbacks confidence to throw me those 50-50 jump balls Sometimes, it’s a little bit difficult for them to really just give me a chance, knowing I’m going to come down with it. It’s difficult trying to read the different schemes and their normal reads. But when I have that matchup or they see it’s that type of game, I always try to give them that word in the back of their head, that they have me as an option if things get ugly.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/justin-jefferson-sam-darnolds-plays-in-practice-will-definitely-transition-to-sundays

• Like 1

Great game by Sam Darnold, did what he needed to do and honestly I bet he is playing better without the pressure of JJ McCarthy fully healthy, he can be comfortable and fully confident as the starter this year while McCarthy's rehabs.  Could be great for both.

Sam Darnold $10 mil
Aaron Jones $7 mil
Andrew Van Ginkel $10 mil
Stephon Gilmore $7 mil
Blake Cashman $7.5 mil
Shaquill Griffin $4.5 mil

Total $46 million

Kirk Cousins yearly average of $45 mil for 4 seasons with the Atlanta Falcons

Sure with guaranteed money from contracts might not come down to exactly $45 mil a year for Cousins but 4 years $180 mil total roughly.  Pretty nuts to get that many quality players, basically is 6 starters for one player in Kirk Cousins!  Vikings made a good move there and so far week one all those guys played well and some played very week 1 for the Vikings.  Darnold, Jones, Van Ginkel and Gilmore being the played very well category I would say.  

• Like 5

KOC: “I don’t think anybody’s surprised that Sam Darnold played the way he did. I know I’m certainly not. I tried to foreshadow as much as I could throughout training camp, so I’m just proud of him.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kevin-oconnell-i-dont-think-anyones-surprised-by-how-sam-darnold-played-today