Vikings sign Sam Darnold

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

Ideally Darnold doesn’t take a starting snap and is completely beat out in training camp by the potential rookie QB

Oh...I am not pulling for this scenario.  Williams MIGHT be the only QB in the draft who could win the starters role out of training camp and pre-season.  I doubt we are drafting Williams.

6 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Ideally Darnold doesn’t take a starting snap and is completely beat out in training camp by the potential rookie QB

Then they might as well have stuck with Mullens. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Ian Rapaport’s report said “up to” $10M. So I would assume $10M is with incentives. 

I hope that's a correct take. $10 million base salary for Darnold seems expensive. However, if it is an incentive laden deal...then I am behind it.

This is the guy who the Jets ruined by starting him immediately with no help around him.

They even traded away Teddy Bridgewater to let Darnold start immediately. 

Darnold was also drafted the same year we signed Kirk Cousins.

...perhaps it's destiny that he became a Viking lol

• Like 1

I like the signing. If he has to start 4-6 weeks of the season for a rookie to be ready, I like it. Basically he's more of a capable back-up starter for a young QB than I'd say Mullens is. He costs more, but that's okay when you have a rookie QB deal.

• Like 1

I don't want to judge Darnold for his time with the Jets. As many people have said a 21 year old QB was thrown to the wolves with next to no help around him.

with McCown & O'Connell as his mentors and a good supporting cast I have faith Darnold can be a good QB2 or bridge QB.

Have the details of the contract been released yet? I'm interested to see what the structure of the contract is like

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I hope that's a correct take. $10 million base salary for Darnold seems expensive. However, if it is an incentive laden deal...then I am behind it.

The way I see it is that since none of these contracts are official, any numbers being released is coming from that players’ agent. And those numbers are always best case scenario. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

We’ll probably hear a lot of angst about this signing, especially from the casual fan. The truth is that I’m not a huge fan of the signing, but it was a necessity and further signaling towards the intent of the Vikes this offseason: Turn the page on the past and move forward into the future with a QB found through the draft.

Darnold started off his tenure in Carolina in 2021 and actually surprisingly good, though nothing special before falling back to the mean for his career. What needs to be remembered here is that he was on pretty terrible Jets squads and maybe equally terrible Panther’s squads. His first time on a good team with good coaching was last year with the 49ers, and he was able to sit on the bench and learn from Shanahan.

Coming to the Vikings, the expectations will be low, as they should be, but he is an experienced QB being placed into an enviable offense with legitimate coaching. The floor is known and expected to be low, so anything better than that is a success. The term competitive rebuild will still potentially be thrown around, but make no mistake, 2024 is meant to be a reset year for this team, bridging to a more hopeful future.

really wish you would post more here. very fair and non emotionalized analysis.

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

So, with the likely implications that the Vikings will draft a QB this year, what happens to either Jaren Hall or Nick Mullens?

Will one get released? Traded? Moved to the Practice Squad?

Assuming the team drafts a QB, we’ll likely see all 4 in training camp. With, I’m guessing, Mullens and Hall competing for the 3rd QB spot. 

• Like 2