49ers trade for DT Maliek Collins

6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

And there's your AA replacement, at least for the moment.

Not a great sign Demeco was willing to part ways with him.

But he has been productive.

My guess is that they are re-structuring the defensive line. They added Hunter and Autry for the pass rush and Fatusaki to the interior who is a big time run defender more so than a pass rusher.

My guess is that they wanted to get away from Collins' fully guaranteed 24 salary and didn't need to worry about the pass rush as much with the additions of Autry and Hunter. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gridirongorilla said:

Can someone please help me understand how they are affording all these players under the cap? I get they restructured Warner but that wasn't seemingly enough for all the players they've signed out of FA so far.

Almost all of these are going to have void years on them. If Floyd + Elliott + YGM cost more than 14 million in cap the first year, I'd be fairly surprised 

• Like 1

Fine with this. Elliot will be more of a run stuffing interior DL and Collins is known for much pass rush abilities. 

Essentially replaced Ferrell with Gross-Matos, Young with Floyd and Armstead/Kinlaw with Collins/Elliot. 

Still should be able to make another addition or two. Again, the theme is obvious at this point. Addressing defense in free agency and then they will use the early draft picks on offense. 

1 minute ago, gridirongorilla said:

Can someone please help me understand how they are affording all these players under the cap? I get they restructured Warner but that wasn't seemingly enough for all the players they've signed out of FA so far.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d71rftfty493wwsgt1nt

Honestly, no idea 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Fine with this. Elliot will be more of a run stuffing interior DL and Collins is known for much pass rush abilities. 

Essentially replaced Ferrell with Gross-Matos, Young with Floyd and Armstead/Kinlaw with Collins/Elliot. 

Still should be able to make another addition or two. Again, the theme is obvious at this point. Addressing defense in free agency and then they will use the early draft picks on offense. 

Honestly, this is probably my favorite move so far. I'm not sure he's as good of an all around player as AA, but you make do with what you can. I'd wager that this was around the price point they wanted AA to come down to. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gridirongorilla said:

Good question. There has to be more restructures/extensions coming. I have them at roughly $16M in cap room without Floyd, YGM, Elliott, and Kendricks (which likely total $20M+).

Edited by struby3
  • Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Honestly, this is probably my favorite move so far. I'm not sure he's as good of an all around player as AA, but you make do with what you can. I'd wager that this was around the price point they wanted AA to come down to. 

The way the draft is shaping up, there's going to either be a really good CB, OT or WR that drops to #31. These moves essentially cover them from having to make a desperate move for a position of need. Collins is not the run stopper Armstead is, but this team is valuing pass rush over everything at this point. I hope one of the youngsters end up contributing and improving the depth of the DL that was tested the past year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Would not surprise me if we go DT early in the draft also.

Have to have a young guy or two waiting in the wings behind all these vets.