Titans sign WR Calvin Ridley

Forge

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

the most important priority for the titans this season, top of the list by a country mile, is finding out whether they have something in will levis. you have an uber-talented 2nd year QB who showed flashes in a situation so bad it was nearly un-evaluatable, but isn't a sure thing by any means. the goal this year HAS to be getting enough around him that you can get a clearer picture of whether he's the guy or not. and frankly, due to three straight years of absolutely horrific drafting from 2020-2022, the titans have basically no young talent they need to worry about locking up during the practical life of this contract. it won't in any way prohibit tennessee from trying to build the rest of their roster in the way they need to through the draft, so who cares? my worries about ridley are purely on the field, but if he's a good enough contributor to make an evaluation of will levis easier, then it's money well spent.

That's an interesting take.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

That's an interesting take.

would "purely whether he is able to produce on the field" make you happier? my point, which i had assumed was pretty clear but should apparently not get in the habit of doing on FF, is that ridley being overpaid is not especially significant given where the titans are with their roster/cap.

18 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

would "purely whether he is able to produce on the field" make you happier? my point, which i had assumed was pretty clear but should apparently not get in the habit of doing on FF, is that ridley being overpaid is not especially significant given where the titans are with their roster/cap.

My point was less about cap and more about Ridley having off the field issues.

It’s hard to believe he’s is 29… I really thought he was 26-27, which would make this contract a little better. 

The Titans don’t have any weapons, so they had to make this happen. They have a nice tandem now with Hopkins. 

He was absolutely rusty at times last year but he’s still a damn good player. 

I wanted him back but I don’t blame him for chasing the bag and I don’t blame the Jags for not matching. 

Maybe they’ll finally draft a WR early for Lawrence.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

He was absolutely rusty at times last year but he’s still a damn good player. 

I wanted him back but I don’t blame him for chasing the bag and I don’t blame the Jags for not matching. 

Maybe they’ll finally draft a WR early for Lawrence.

I don't really buy "rusty".  Certainly not "at times" intermittently throughout the season and mostly just disappearing games with a few random decent ones.  Mostly against weaker teams like...well...Tennessee.  😆  Especially not when arguably one of his very best games of the season was...the very first one.  I think he just kinda sucks and is really mentally flakey and unfocused.  That's where you get the total inconsistency, lack of intensity, and disappearing acts from.  Not from "rust" that apparently comes and goes week to week.

Anyway.  Again, good riddance.  Hopefully they actually go out and get Lawrence a real top target.  Presumably through the draft.

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I don't really buy "rusty".  Certainly not "at times" intermittently throughout the season and mostly just disappearing games with a few random decent ones.  Mostly against weaker teams like...well...Tennessee.  😆  Especially not when arguably one of his very best games of the season was...the very first one.  I think he just kinda sucks and is really mentally flakey and unfocused.  That's where you get the total inconsistency, lack of intensity, and disappearing acts from.  Not from "rust" that apparently comes and goes week to week.

Anyway.  Again, good riddance.  Hopefully they actually go out and get Lawrence a real top target.  Presumably through the draft.

I read some comments by local guys and Jags fans, many alluding to Ridley being decoyed out of profitability. Not by design, necessarily. But as the team’s deep threat + name recognition, the offense was fine letting the defense cloud over to his side and then target everyone else in favorable matchups. Which is kinda obvious, because that’s what offenses are supposed to do if one guy is going to get extra attention, but you also need to find ways to get the ball in your better player’s hands. Easy to see how after almost two full years away from a regular season game, Ridley was unfocused and inconsistent in a decoy role on the offense. 

Those were my thoughts, until I saw this…

Sheeesh, I know you could do this for any QB/receiver, and yeah some of those were tough, but you expect your WR1 to make those. Counted almost 10 TDs on the board for Ridley alone.

I don’t know if it’s rust or if he’s just not that guy, but that’d scare me at $24M aav.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

If they were gonna do this, why not just pay AJB? Makes zero sense. Ridley isn’t that good. 

I agree.  It's a bad look on Ran not to have just re-signed AJ in 22, then to turn around and give a lesser receiver more money than AJ was asking for.  Sure, I mean, Ran was part of the 49ers in 22, but that's not an excuse to not get the AJ deal done, and really just shows a lack of foresight on his part.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I agree.  It's a bad look on Ran not to have just re-signed AJ in 22, then to turn around and give a lesser receiver more money than AJ was asking for.  Sure, I mean, Ran was part of the 49ers in 22, but that's not an excuse to not get the AJ deal done, and really just shows a lack of foresight on his part.

Looks bad regardless who’s in charge. Even take out the AJB situation, and this contract sucks. Ridley was super average last year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Looks bad regardless who’s in charge. Even take out the AJB situation, and this contract sucks. Ridley was super average last year. 

Then that's a valid opinion.  You're allowed to not like the contract.  I agree it's an overpay.  But I don't think it's a huge deal, because for starters, I think Ridley was better than super average.  He's being paid 10th most at his position, and produced the 24th most in yardage, 15th in targets, 23rd in receptions, and 7th most in TDs.  With an absolute minimum of 64 starting WRs, even saying he's 24th best in the league still puts him as a low end WR1/high end WR2.  I'd be mad about it if the Titans weren't desperate for WR help and didn't still have plenty of money to throw a bag at someone else.

And as hope said, priority No. 1, 2, and 3 for the Titans is putting Levis in a situation to see if he's really the guy.  Can't do that with a bare WR room.

11 hours ago, Soko said:

I read some comments by local guys and Jags fans, many alluding to Ridley being decoyed out of profitability. Not by design, necessarily. But as the team’s deep threat + name recognition, the offense was fine letting the defense cloud over to his side and then target everyone else in favorable matchups. Which is kinda obvious, because that’s what offenses are supposed to do if one guy is going to get extra attention, but you also need to find ways to get the ball in your better player’s hands. Easy to see how after almost two full years away from a regular season game, Ridley was unfocused and inconsistent in a decoy role on the offense. 

Those were my thoughts, until I saw this…

Sheeesh, I know you could do this for any QB/receiver, and yeah some of those were tough, but you expect your WR1 to make those. Counted almost 10 TDs on the board for Ridley alone.

I don’t know if it’s rust or if he’s just not that guy, but that’d scare me at $24M aav.

Thanks a lot for the PTSD Trigger Warning jerk.  😆

But yeah.  If anyone is wondering why i'm so negative and harsh on the guy as mentally unfocused and completely lacking intensity...this is a pretty good preview.  And that's just near miss TDs.  That's not counting the stupid things he'd do on key downs.  Or the vast majority of the rest of the time where it was questionable whether he was a "decoy" or just disappeared entirely.

That's where i'm super grateful they didn't re-sign him.  Especially at that insane price the Titans paid.  But just in general, i could not watch another season of him.  Endlessly infuriating player imo.

14 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Thanks a lot for the PTSD Trigger Warning jerk.  😆

But yeah.  If anyone is wondering why i'm so negative and harsh on the guy as mentally unfocused and completely lacking intensity...this is a pretty good preview.  And that's just near miss TDs.  That's not counting the stupid things he'd do on key downs.  Or the vast majority of the rest of the time where it was questionable whether he was a "decoy" or just disappeared entirely.

That's where i'm super grateful they didn't re-sign him.  Especially at that insane price the Titans paid.  But just in general, i could not watch another season of him.  Endlessly infuriating player imo.

Atleast we got armstead instead of him.

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

Atleast we got armstead instead of him.

I don't think they're strictly plug 'n play substitutes tbh.  😆  But we definitely come out ahead on balance.