Titans sign WR Calvin Ridley

Forge

38 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Why do people keep bringing up AJ Brown at this point? It's different management.

I know many a Titans fan who would bring up the Hopkins trade well after Bill O'Brien got fired, so I have no sympathy.

• Like 4

Part of me wants to say this was the single worst signing in all of free agency, but my guess is that the contract details will be basically a two-year fully guaranteed contract with minimal risk after. If we look at it as 2yrs/~50mil fully guaranteed then it looks like a likely overpay but not a franchise-crippler.

Edited by NudeTayne

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You may be surprised to learn that owners don’t make personnel decisions.

It turns out that that’s the GM’s job.

The Owner is always privy to big money deals and trades of star players. She was aware of what was happening and did nothing to stop it, then canned the guy less than a year later for it. She could’ve made sure Aj Brown got signed and didn’t, and I’m sure she’s a big part of this as a fix for what happened before

Terrible MisManagement, and I’m sorry for Titans fans for having to deal with it

Edited by Chiefer

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

You may be surprised to learn that owners don’t make personnel decisions.

It turns out that that’s the GM’s job.

That's not how this works. The GM works for the owner and does as owner says. Some meddle more than others, but they all make the final decisions on any big moves. Smaller stuff, sure the owner isn't involved

Edited by adamq

the most important priority for the titans this season, top of the list by a country mile, is finding out whether they have something in will levis. you have an uber-talented 2nd year QB who showed flashes in a situation so bad it was nearly un-evaluatable, but isn't a sure thing by any means. the goal this year HAS to be getting enough around him that you can get a clearer picture of whether he's the guy or not. and frankly, due to three straight years of absolutely horrific drafting from 2020-2022, the titans have basically no young talent they need to worry about locking up during the practical life of this contract. it won't in any way prohibit tennessee from trying to build the rest of their roster in the way they need to through the draft, so who cares? my worries about ridley are purely on the field, but if he's a good enough contributor to make an evaluation of will levis easier, then it's money well spent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adamq said:

That's not how this works. The GM works for the owner and does as owner says. Some meddle more than others, but they all make the final decisions on any big moves. Smaller stuff, sure the owner isn't involved

Nah, the good ones let their GMs be GMs.

• Like 1

For the record, as long as this deal has outs prior to Year 4 (which is very likely IMO), I don’t hate this deal. 

Don’t think anyone’s under the illusion that Ridley is a bonafide WR1, but he certainly fits as an opposite to Hopkins. The cap space is definitely there for Tennessee these next couple years, and they have a young QB that needs weapons. WR’s kind of been a bane for them, and now they’ve got two bonafide targets without having to cut corners elsewhere. 

It’s a lot for Ridley, but with the way the market’s shaken out, I don’t really see a significantly better course of action that wouldn’t have also cost them. Now they can go OT in R1 and feel good about the team entering Day 2. EDIT: Maybe trading for Diontae Johnson, but only one team was able to do that.

Edited by Soko
  • Like 1