Commanders sign LB Bobby Wagner

Perfect fit for the roster. Sort of a weird fit for the timeline.

Aside from his age, the only odd part here is that you’ve got Davis, Luvu, and Wagner at LB now — that sort of seems to swallow up any significant opportunity for Chinn. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Aside from his age, the only odd part here is that you’ve got Davis, Luvu, and Wagner at LB now — that sort of seems to swallow up any significant opportunity for Chinn. 

I think you could have all 4 on the field in a base 4/3,and a good rotation to rest players in other packages.Starting to love the look of the defense.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I love it for the leadership on the defense. I also think this bodes poorly for Jamin Davis. 

I will add that I really wanted him the first time he left Seattle. We are likely getting a shell of his All-Pro form but his familiarity with Dan Quinn can't hurt. 

• Like 1

He's gonna be 34 this year, but we've been screaming for Rivera to upgrade the LB corps for what... 3 or 4 years now. We've gone from a horrible LB corps to a competent one at least. I'm not sure we take a LB in round 2 now. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

I will add that I really wanted him the first time he left Seattle. We are likely getting a shell of his All-Pro form but his familiarity with Dan Quinn can't hurt. 

He did do pretty good last year though. So maybe a year or two left in the tank?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TKellion said:

I think you could have all 4 on the field in a base 4/3,and a good rotation to rest players in other packages.Starting to love the look of the defense.

I agree. It seems to me that Jamin may not be a 3-down player for Quinn. Jamin probably won’t get his 5th year option and this could be his last year in Washington unless he really breaks out this year and makes it so he’s a must re-sign/priority for Peters/Quinn next March.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

He's gonna be 34 this year, but we've been screaming for Rivera to upgrade the LB corps for what... 3 or 4 years now. We've gone from a horrible LB corps to a competent one at least. I'm not sure we take a LB in round 2 now. 

I wouldn’t take an LB in R2 either unless Cooper is there & they have him as BPA. Other than him being the exception, I’d still take one in the mid rounds & late rounds to develop behind Wagner, Luvu & Jamin. I definitely think we should do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Similar to the Ertz signing for our offense. Just an old reliable vet who help teach the young guys. Both probably only have a year or 2 left on their career but if they can bring the young guys & new guys on their sides of the ball along in the scheme, that’s huge!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

Neither Jamin or Luvu are MIKE’s. Wagner as I know you know will be the MIKE. What I’m interested in is, will Jamin or Luvu be the other 3 down LB? 

I lean towards Luvu bc this front office & coaching staff signed him but, that will be a good competition between he and Jamin to be the 3 down LB next to Wagner.

I’m interested in how they’ll use Chinn with these OLBs too. When we signed Chinn I figured he’d be more like an OLB/Big Nickel, but now that we have Luvu, Jamin & Wagner, you have wonder?

I guess it’s “position flex!” 😂 

And we’ll see a rotation of them.

Also I think so far this points to Quan Martin or Forrest being the starting FS w/ Chinn at SS & whoever doesn’t start between Martin & Forrest will rotate in as the 3rd S in certain packages. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1