Free Agent signing!! Eric Kendricks

WizardHawk

Kendricks doesn't have the same athleticism he had earlier in his career, but the instincts are still turned up to 10. He was often the quickest player to the intended gap in LAC.   

However, the key will be DAL's IDL keeping his clean early in the play because he has a tougher time beating blocks than earlier in his career.   

Also, think he's pretty sound in coverage. Don't want him running with the speedier RBs/TEs too often, but he's assignment sound and provides value in zone coverage.   

Plus, he provides veteran experience that can help install Zimmer's scheme and culture.

https://x.com/johnowning/status/1768061927845241222?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

• Like 1

This is kind of surprising.  I remember watching him in an interview talking about how younger players these days don't relate to Mike Zimmer's old school, tough guy attitude.  He said it became stressful always being under the gun and never being able to make him happy.  I remember it because I was surprised to hear that about Mike Zimmer.  I always thought he was kind of a grump, but still a real player's coach at the same time.

8 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

😆😆

I'm actually a fan of the signing, but not exactly a splash that gets me excited. If this was our 2nd or 3rd, sure, but our first is lackluster.

If he reduces our need to draft a LB with one of our top 3 picks because he can hold the spot equitably for the next 2 years, then it’s a solid signing, given how weak the LB draft class is this year.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

If he reduces our need to draft a LB with one of our top 3 picks because he can hold the spot equitably for the next 2 years, then it’s a solid signing, given how weak the LB draft class is this year.

My guess is it’s a one-year deal, but I agree an LB in the first three rounds is probably not happening now. Can have Kendricks supplant LVE at Mike and Clark/Overshown compete for Will (Bell goes back to safety). Right now I’d say OT, C, RB, WR, DT and CB are all bigger needs.

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

This is exactly what we needed. Veteran, assignment sound with still some juice in the tank. Going to be a fantastic mentor for Overshown and Clark. LB not a huge need, now.

Exactly. The focus can now be at OT, C, WR, and RB. If a DT like Sweat happens to fall to us in the 2nd, I’d pounce on him, but those 4 positions are the real priority. 

11 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

This is exactly what we needed. Veteran, assignment sound with still some juice in the tank. Going to be a fantastic mentor for Overshown and Clark. LB not a huge need, now.

I'd still absolutely take Cooper if he's there in the 2nd. Kendricks isn't good enough for me to say they ignore LB if there's a good one available.