Commanders trade Howell to Seahawks

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

In the world where people have attempted to place values on each pick, and we can figure out the difference between the picks we gave up and the picks we got — and that value equates to a late 3rd or early 4th (depending on what chart you use).

Show Work:

200 (pick 78 value) + 30.6 (pick 152 value) = 230.6 (value of picks we received)

92 (pick 102 value) + 19.8 (pick 179 value) = 111.8 (value of picks we gave up)

230.6 (what we got) - 111.8 (what we gave up) = 118.8 (surplus value)

118.8 points is equivalent to approximately pick 95-96.

So this is what I came to as well. I saw the trade news while eating dinner with my wife at Matchbox in One Loudoun. I was kinda pissed that we got so little for Sam.

But as we progressed through the meal I started to mentally do the back of the envelope math in my head and I came out to the fact that we valued Sam as a high 4th/low 3rd rounder. And we traded a 4th and 6th for a higher 5th.

So we traded basically picks 95, 102, and 179

for...

78 and 152. 

Roughly even trade while I would've liked for us to give up a 7th instead of that 6th because I like to fleece people in trades (but I'm okay pick-value wise)

But at least it gives us the 3rd and 14th picks in the 3rd to go along with the last pick in the 3rd we got for Chase.

So this is where we sit guys:

That's a first, 2 seconds, 3 thirds, 2 fifths and a seventh. Including  SIX of the first 100 picks.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

So this is what I came to as well. I saw the trade news while eating dinner with my wife at Matchbox in One Loudoun. I was kinda pissed that we got so little for Sam.

But as we progressed through the meal I started to mentally do the back of the envelope math in my head and I came out to the fact that we valued Sam as a high 4th/low 3rd rounder. And we traded a 4th and 6th for a higher 5th.

So we traded basically picks 95, 102, and 179

for...

78 and 152. 

Roughly even trade while I would've liked for us to give up a 7th instead of that 6th because I like to fleece people in trades (but I'm okay pick-value wise)

But at least it gives us the 3rd and 14th picks in the 3rd to go along with the last pick in the 3rd we got for Chase.

So this is where we sit guys:

That's a first, 2 seconds, 3 thirds, 2 fifths and a seventh. Including  SIX of the first 100 picks.

Not to mention all the picks we'll actually end up with once they start moving around the board.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Not to mention all the picks we'll actually end up with once they start moving around the board.

Yup. This gives us ammunition to trade that #36 pick and package it up with a few others to move back up into the 1st to grab someone. Or use it to trade two of our 3rds to get another second rounder we love because he fell. Or allows us to trade down and pick up some extra picks and still have a 2nd and 3rd rounder to grab players. 

LOTS of flexibility which is what I love going into the draft

I am not particular fun of this trade and to me Mariotta is not better than Howell by any means. Why not keep Howell and let him beat out Mariotta who certainly looks he will will initially be our starter at QB. So no rookie will supplant him to begin with. However we have a new regime and I respect their decisions. Whatever the FO decides makes no difference to me along as they get it right. That's what matters the most to me. Make the right decisons.

• Like 1

Interesting, it does sound like there were multiple teams in on trying to trade for Howell, but it doesn’t sound like anyone wanted to offer more than they really needed to for him. So no overpays. Sounds like we got the very best offer we were going to get

35 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Interesting, it does sound like there were multiple teams in on trying to trade for Howell, but it doesn’t sound like anyone wanted to offer more than they really needed to for him. So no overpays. Sounds like we got the very best offer we were going to get

Which again, reaffirms that they were going to take whatever deal to move on. The Sam Howell experiment wasn't going to be a thing for Quinn and Peters.

Its actually funny because the Bears GM said they wanted to "do right" by Justin Fields, but I actually think we "did right" by Sam with this. He wasn't going to get an honest shot here and they sent him somewhere he would.

I wish we had a different QB on the roster because I despise Mariota and the thought of this rookie QB not being ready to start and actually having to watch him (Mariota) play here disgusts me.

I'm all in on starting whatever QB they draft. Let them take their lumps and keep Mariota off the field.

• Like 2

I thought they could’ve gotten more for Howell, but I think they did the kid a favor. Seattle is a pretty decent landing spot for Sam. Battle it out with, or be groomed to be the heir apparent to Geno. I was never a huge fan of Sam’s but I wish him well. 
As far as Washington’s thinking, taking the savior at 2 and having Sam around isn’t fair to either of them. Not everyone in the building would be pulling for the rookie to succeed. Mariota knows he’s trash and isn’t a real threat, but we might have to suffer out a few Mariota (instead of Howell) starts to get the kid ready. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Its actually funny because the Bears GM said they wanted to "do right" by Justin Fields, but I actually think we "did right" by Sam with this. He wasn't going to get an honest shot here and they sent him somewhere he would.

I totally agree with this.

I find it a little odd that the people who are big fans of Sam are up in arms about this. I get that maybe they wanted him the fold for us as long as possible, but he wasn’t ever going to have a real chance to start over the next two years — the FO/staff that chose him and has coached him is gone, and this new regime is going to invest massively in their own guy. Everything was going to be targeted at getting that guy ready to be a star, which was going to leave Sam totally in the shadows.

He’s now moved to a team with a ton of good weapons and a pretty mediocre aging QB. If it happens to click for him out there, he’s got a real chance to change his stars. It’s a happy day for Sam, as far as I’m concerned.

• Like 3

So we’re all going to melt completely when we trade a second for Justin Fields, and use #2 to play the draft game huh?  

I kid, in some respects.  Wouldn’t even say that move is 100% off the table.  Sucks for Howell, but this means someone new under center for sure.  You keep him if you wanted to run it back and stockpile assets.  I won’t complain with whoever they go with at #2.  I just don’t want the trade up to #1.  

19 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So we’re all going to melt completely when we trade a second for Justin Fields, and use #2 to play the draft game huh?  

I'd definitely melt if it was a second. 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I kid, in some respects.  Wouldn’t even say that move is 100% off the table.  Sucks for Howell, but this means someone new under center for sure.  You keep him if you wanted to run it back and stockpile assets.  I won’t complain with whoever they go with at #2.  I just don’t want the trade up to #1.  

I suggested two 3rds in my recent mock with serious trigger warnings. However, I don't feel that Fields is a franchise QB. I then traded down with Minnesota for 3 1sts and their second this year. Then took Olu Fashanu at 11. 

Long story short, without Sam Howell on the roster, there is no chance that we pass on a QB at 2. 

I want whatever option keeps Mariota off the field. 

He could actually start for the Seahawks and we get almost nothing for a young talented Q B . I keep trying to spin this one but ain't no frekkin' way ! well my second fav team is now the Seahawks and whoever is playing the Cowgirls .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

He could actually start for the Seahawks and we get almost nothing for a young talented Q B . I keep trying to spin this one but ain't no frekkin' way ! well my second fav team is now the Seahawks and whoever is playing the Cowgirls .

I live in Washington state, honestly going from Pete Carroll to Mike MacDonald (who I wanted for HC here) and them getting Howell, I might secretly root for them too but I'll never tell a soul here.