Team Needs?

Ghostnote

15 hours ago, champ11 said:

we need a guy that can score a touchdown with individual talent 

Remember, Elway drafted 3 of those guys last draft.... we're good.  O.o  (to be fair, at least DeAngelo Henderson, he never got a chance to play, and neither did C-Henderson, but in Carlos' case, we deliberately chose to redshirt him with an IR-no return <what you get with an IR designation before 53-man rosters are announced> for an injury that was an early October return ETA, which tells you how raw the guy was, and with no actual team scrimmage time...well, hard to depend on him for next year...to say the least).  

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Remember, Elway drafted 3 of those guys last draft.... we're good.  O.o  (to be fair, at least DeAngelo Henderson, he never got a chance to play, and neither did C-Henderson, but in Carlos' case, we deliberately chose to redshirt him with an IR-no return <what you get with an IR designation before 53-man rosters are announced> for an injury that was an early October return ETA, which tells you how raw the guy was, and with no actual team scrimmage time...well, hard to depend on him for next year...to say the least).  

I disagree, Mccoy got fired because of how complicated his offense was. This wasn't just for rookies but veterans as well. I think with Musgrave Henderson will be able to play and not think as much. The More this happens the better he will play. I'm optimistic to say the least.

I just don't get the draft pairing it's like we drafted a guy who is slow at learning playbooks, and pairs him with one of the most complicated offensive system. That's a problem.

17 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I disagree, Mccoy got fired because of how complicated his offense was. This wasn't just for rookies but veterans as well. I think with Musgrave Henderson will be able to play and not think as much. The More this happens the better he will play. I'm optimistic to say the least.

I just don't get the draft pairing it's like we drafted a guy who is slow at learning playbooks, and pairs him with one of the most complicated offensive system. That's a problem.

Isiah McKenzie got kept and he didn't even realize that the clock doesn't stop when you are tackled inbounds like in college...in Week 16.  That's something coaches should have down with players in the preseason.   And we had zero qualms in keeping him on the active roster, he was seen as the guy who could make an earlier impact over Henderson.   The Louisiana Tech playbook is beyond simple it's basically all playground O, and this was well known.  And off his film C-Henderson had problems with making the right option reads even in a simple HS-level O - that's not just problematic, that's just scary.  Carlos Henderson wasn't just seen as raw, he seen as sushi-grade raw.   None of which was a surprise, and why he was a round 4-5 projection pre-draft - but of course, as Elway is fond of doing, we took him much earlier than anticipated.....SMH.   

There's in theory time here, but when you go on IR-no return, it means you get zero scrimmage time, not even practice.  So basically zero on-field experience.  That's a huge setback for a guy's development.   As we saw with McKenzie, pure speed means nothing if you can't combine actual football skills.     The bigger risk TBH is we depend too much on C-Henderson being helpful, and make no real plans for another WR this year - that would be disastrous.  I'd normally say that's ridiculous given both DT and Sander's 2019 status is very unclear (as the team can part ways with very little cap hit after 2018), but I would have said the exact same thing about ILB in 2017...and yet 2017 happened (with not just passing on Reuben Foster, forget that for a sec, we literally didn't get...anyone.  Even knowing Todd Davis was JAG and also a UFA in 2018, and no one even close to promising on the roster).

6 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Yeah. Someone that can actually make exciting plays. Like how DT used to be able to house bubble screens. 

Qb is the catylst for that happening in my opinion. It's no secret dts best years were with peyton. So ideally I want the qb. But some explosive playmakers would be nice.

17 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Qb is the catylst for that happening in my opinion. It's no secret dts best years were with peyton. So ideally I want the qb. But some explosive playmakers would be nice.

I mean yeah I'd rather have a QB that doesn't suck instead of skill positions players that don't suck, but that doesn't change the fact that our skill positions on offense are below average to terrible. Specifically in the playmaking department.

Obviously QB is the No. 1 need. 

After that I would say OT, it can be a right or left tackle. Bolles is nothing special but he's a better run blocker than pass blocker, again that's not saying much, I think if we can get a legit LT in the draft or free agency, Bolles' skill set can transition to the right side. 

We need another ILB. That being said, I don't see us making a big move there. It doesn't seem to be a position Elway really values that highly, we have Brandon Marshall on a big contract ($7m cap hit, $6m dead if he's cut) and Todd Davis appears to be a favorite of Vance. I think we could use someone else here but it wouldn't surprise me to see Davis resigned to a reasonable contract and us roll with the same two next year. 

After that, I would say offensive play-maker; it could be a RB, a third WR or a TE. I would say third WR is the most likely because we have some young backs in Booker and D-Henderson and a young TE in Jake Butt. A CB could become a need if Talib leaves and another pass rusher could be needed too with Shaq becoming a free agent. 

On 1/1/2018 at 9:31 AM, jsthomp2007 said:

Why in the world would the Broncos go after Foles?  He is aweful.  He got bench for Sudafed; I'd just assume play Brock.  Or, if you want to go after a 1A backup...I'd at least see how the QB situation in Minnesota shakes out then go after one of those guys.  

Vikings fan here...you might be on to something.  All 3 QB's are pretty decent passers.  Which leads me to the question: why did Denver let Sloter walk?  What can you tell me about his performance in the pre-season?  Thanks a ton for your input.

3 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Vikings fan here...you might be on to something.  All 3 QB's are pretty decent passers.  Which leads me to the question: why did Denver let Sloter walk?  What can you tell me about his performance in the pre-season?  Thanks a ton for your input.

People here seemed to have loved Sloter.  He went to Northern Colorado, so there might be some homerism involved in folks wanting him to have a crack at the starting job.  And, they may have been right...just not a whole lot on him to say, yes, he is the next Kurt Warner.  

6 hours ago, perrynoid said:

Because Elway wanted Paxton Lynch to be the future. Also, he still probably liked Oz to a degree. It was a mistake, though. If Elway couldn't see that Lynch was inferior to Kyle, then I don't know what to say. Also, Siemian was given too many chances. That guy had no business starting this year.

13 hours ago, perrynoid said:

Sloter was let go because he's a marginal QB who struggled mightily when he actually had to face NFL caliber players. Too many Broncos fans love the guy despite him never doing anything of note. Calling it a mistake to let him go is based on nothing but pure hope.

4 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Sloter was let go because he's a marginal QB who struggled mightily when he actually had to face NFL caliber players. Too many Broncos fans love the guy despite him never doing anything of note. Calling it a mistake to let him go is based on nothing but pure hope.

Thank you! 

Kyle Sloter was cut because the staff had hope, and I don't think it was unreasonable hope, that he could clear waivers and we could stash him on the PS. Oh well. 

7 hours ago, broncos67 said:

If that helps you sleep at night, then go right ahead and believe that.

7 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Does anyone feel Mcgovern played well enough to be the starting guard opposite to leary?

I think we can use him or jj dielman at guard leaving one hole on the o line. Agree or disagree?

He could be our starter - but we shouldn't leave G unaddressed at the draft/FA.  Even though I think Dielman has potential.  

Why?  3 big reasons -  first, we have no idea whether Paradis can return to 2015-6 form.   If he can't, we would need McGovern to go inside.  Secondly, with Leary's back problem, we should not feel like G/C is good depth-wise.   Leary's contract has a clear out after 2018 - at his mileage, this is a good thing.  If he's fine next year, we can go year-to-year.   If he's not, we will regret not adding more G/C depth in 2018 like we regretted not having any ILB additions to 2017's roster.   Finally, the best teams end up playing at least 6-7 guys on their OL for starter-level snaps, counting on 5 guys to stay healthy is a pipe dream nowadays.   We should have 7 guys we feel OK about taking the field if needed.  Right now, we have 3-4, depending on how you feel about Paradis/Leary both being fine for 2018.   We should not keep Max Garcia on our roster, with him actually costing more than min-wage, this is an easy call IMO.

We keep talking about adding 1 T - I actually think we need 1 C/G and 2 T's, and that's only if both Leary/Paradis are OK (Dielman is likely the 8th guy on our 2018 depth chart, feel good about that).  

Archived