Who is the better QB - Jared Goff or Derek Carr

MagicMT

Who is the better QB - Jared Goff or Derek Carr   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better QB regardless of coaching/surrounding cast in your opinion?

• Goff
    • Carr

37 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So we're punishing QB's who put up really good stats because they have a good offensive line now?

Not like it's new. Most qbs are their situation and a good offensive line is a huge part of their situation. Carr in particular has ebbed and flowed in his performances in no small part based on the quality of his offensive line in his career. 

People always use supporting cast to prop up or tear down a QB performance. We went through it for the last year and a half with Brock Purdy in the most extreme sense and will probably continue to have that discussion on Purdy for the next 2 years until the 49ers start to cycle through players. 

Definitely wouldn't say Goff is a "top 7" QB. 

I think he's in the third tier which may reach as high as number 7, haven't really thought about it. But he'd be in that tier that goes from like 7- 13 or 8-14 or whatever. Last year I think he would have been at the better part of that range, and 3 years ago he probably would have been at the lower end of that range. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Not like it's new. Most qbs are their situation and a good offensive line is a huge part of their situation. Carr in particular has ebbed and flowed in his performances in no small part based on the quality of his offensive line in his career. 

People always use supporting cast to prop up or tear down a QB performance. We went through it for the last year and a half with Brock Purdy in the most extreme sense and will probably continue to have that discussion on Purdy for the next 2 years until the 49ers start to cycle through players. 

I don’t know why it has to be either “punishing” someone by mentioning who they play with or absolutely ignoring it altogether. Not you, specifically. Just seems to be the trend that there can’t be a happy medium between saying a player is worthless because they have good teammates and falling foul on recognizing context in a comparison.

• Like 2

Let's see I love the saints offensive weapons in Olave, Shaheed, Juwan Johnson and I feel like they all underperformed with Carr.

Goff I love Jameson Williams and the rest of the weapons Williams is the only one underperfoming. 

qb point guard distributor Goff is the better point guard even if the Saints coaching did Carr no favors.

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So we're punishing QB's who put up really good stats because they have a good offensive line now?

Punishing?  Nah.  But i think that if we're suggesting Goff is a Top-7 QB because of the stats, it bears mention that there are some significant contributing factors like that which play a major role in allowing him to post that kind of productivity.  Context is king.

On 3/22/2024 at 12:04 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Go look at his stats for the last 3 years and then come back and re-evaluate.

Stats are good, eye test is a different story. He's good, don't get me wrong, but as of right now

Mahomes

Allen

Lamar

Burrow

Herbert

Stroud

Purdy

Stafford

possibly Love, Kirk, Dak

are all ahead of him. Can you win a Super Bowl with him? Decent shot. Are you gonna add him to any team and they immediately become Super Bowl contenders? Nah.

On 3/21/2024 at 6:36 PM, Tugboat said:

Yes.  That's probably also pretty close to true.

Stop with the all or nothing absurdity. It's not remotely true. There are only so many great/elite QBs. If you can't get one, you can do plenty well with an above average QB like Goff. 

• Like 3

On 3/21/2024 at 4:02 PM, Steelersfan43 said:

If Goff is terrible,at least 25 starting QB are terrible in the NFL right now.Not because you are not Mahomes or Josh Allen mean that you are terrible

I used to be really down on Goff too, but he is a good QB. He's the best in the NFCN division too. 

I don't know that he's top 10 though. Close!

9 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I used to be really down on Goff too, but he is a good QB. He's the best in the NFCN division too. 

I don't know that he's top 10 though. Close!

So if you could have any QB in the NFC North to build your franchise around it would be Goff?! Lol

Nope after the draft it will probably be 

Williams

Love

McCarthy

Hooker

Goff

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, fattlipp said:

So if you could have any QB in the NFC North to build your franchise around it would be Goff?! Lol

Nope after the draft it will probably be 

Williams

Love

McCarthy

Hooker

Goff

He sais he's the best QB in the division, not who he would choose first to build a franchise around. 
Today Goff is definitely a better NFCN QB than Williams and McCarthy because they're not even in the NFCN right now?? 
Goff could still be better than both of them next year easily. McCarthy might not even start. 
And what's with that Hooker talk? The guy is 26 and has never thrown a pass at the NFL level but people should rank him above Goff? I don't think he's top 10 but he's not a bad QB either. 

Edited by MagicMT
  • Like 3