Chiefs Trade CB L’Jarius Snead to Titans

TheRealMcCoy

35 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Nowhere in that post did he say they'd easily replace Sneed. He's said multiple times in this thread that their CB room is going to take a step back this season with the loss of Sneed, but the money saved will improve the team elsewhere and help them retain players at other positions moving forward. He's only ever said the Chiefs are confident in their scouting and development in the secondary with their track record, and if they had to cut bait with a player at an important position, CB is the position they are in the best spot to backfill without adding someone.

In this thread you've only read what you wanted to, which somehow never seems to actually be what the poster you're quoting actually stated. You also just create random hypotheticals (like when you essentially said "If you remove the players the Chiefs drafted and developed into good players in the secondary, they haven't actually drafted and developed anyone that's good"). Frustrating.

I'm not responding to you anymore. May Zeus bless you.

But if you remove the good players KC has drafted...they haven't drafted very well.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You paid Jawaan Taylor 4 years $80 million and Orlando Brown Jr got 4 years $64 million and Taylor committed 20 penalties last year, by far the most of any OL in the NFL all last season.  I would say he was worse than Orlando Brown Jr was last season, but sure Brown Jr was not at his best but they did start Jake Browning over what 7 games so there is that.

I said Jawaan Taylor honestly kind of sucked last year when hey overpaid for him, and based on his play he was exactly that.  Oh, and he had the most offensive penalties in a season in NFL since 2003 where Chester Pitts had 18.  Yeah sure, he was a real great player for them and well worth $20 mil a year......  But yes they got Donovan Smith for cheap chasing another Super Bowl and he got it, good for him, he at least was not a walking penalty.  

The dude commented that they could easily replace Sneed with another 4th round pick or later.  I disagree with that completely, only way that is true is if Williams, Watson or Jones are to the level Sneed is and I doubt that ever occurs.  Maybe they find that elite corner in this draft to replace him, but their track record of CB drafting is not that great if you take Sneed/McDuffie out of the mix.  They will miss the guy greatly, that is the point.  Way easier to go up against them without Sneed and now teams will just avoid McDuffie unless they can find another lock down corner who follows the other teams best WR around most of the game...

I mean I know Taylor sucked, but so does Brown, and we offered a higher contract than the Bengals did and he said no thanks, dudes an idiot who overestimated his value in the open market. This has been explained to you already but you lack reading comprehension or something idk, but it’s a running pattern with you. Hint if everybody keeps saying you have a problem, you probably have a problem there buddy.

We have a great secondary scout team and coaching, and looked good with the Watson and Williams starting with an elite Nickel corner just a couple years ago. We’re also really high on Nazeeh Johnson and Nic Jones who were making waves in training camp with the ones before injury. Chamarri Conner is also excellent and has barely scratched the surface of his potential.

Dont get me wrong losing Sneed sucks, and well definitely feel that loss. But I’m confident in Spagz, his pressure schemes are all time amazing, the Front 7 is great and that goes a long way to helping a secondary. Sorry man we just won the SB I’m riding that high all the way to the regular season lol I’m confident we can bounce back very well from losing Sneed. We adapt, we thrive

Edited by Chiefer
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I mean I know Taylor sucked, but so does Brown, and we offered a higher contract than the Bengals did and he said no thanks, dudes an idiot who overestimated his value in the open market. This has been explained to you already but you lack reading comprehension or something idk, but it’s a running pattern with you. Hint if everybody keeps saying you have a problem, you probably have a problem there buddy.

We have a great secondary scout team and coaching, and looked good with the Watson and Williams starting with an elite Nickel corner just a couple years ago. We’re also really high on Nazeeh Johnson and Nic Jones who were making waves in training camp with the ones before injury. Chamarri Conner is also excellent and has barely scratched the surface of his potential.

Dont get me wrong losing Sneed sucks, and well definitely feel that loss. But I’m confident in Spagz, his pressure schemes are all time amazing, the Front 7 is great and that goes a long way to helping a secondary. Sorry man we just won the SB I’m riding that high all the way to the regular season lol I’m confident we can bounce back very well from losing Sneed. We adapt, we thrive

The bolded is really the crux of it, and why a burgeoning little dynasty like the Chiefs would be willing to move on from a "Top Tier CB" like Sneed for so relatively little in compensation.

It's an adjustment of a lot of team philosophy toward building from the front back.  If you can get consistent pressure, you're going to be able to keep your head above water with just a "decent" and maybe even slightly patchwork secondary.  Especially if you can get that pressure without blitzing, but even if you have to blitz...and even use some of your secondary as part of that as Spags does sometimes, if it keeps the pressure up, it's just so much less demanding of the secondary overall.  Just so much less to hold up against.

The inverse of this is not really true.  I don't care how elite your Corners are...if you can't get consistent pressure, you've got a bad defense.  It's just asking too much of guys who are put in a pretty impossible situation if they have to defend extended a whole gamut from quick hitters to longer-developing plays, to extended improvisational plays all the time when the front can't get home.  All without being able to so much as sneeze too hard near a WR without a PI flag flying.  It's just a product of the current rules of the game and the way they're enforced.

Losing a really good DB sucks, and ceteris paribus you'd rather have better DBs than worse ones.  But when push comes to shove...that money is better spent on upkeep in the trenches.  And i think we're seeing most really strong, successful, perennial contender sort of teams recognizing and embracing this more and more.  Premium DBs are becoming far more of a "luxury item" and thus get passed around the league even while still in their prime.

I am thrilled he is off the Chiefs. He was insane last year. And it is pretty bad compensation for a 3rd NEXT year as opposed to this year for a team that is competing now. That being said Veach is really good at drafting corners so unfortunately there may be another one in the pipeline this year.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

The bolded is really the crux of it, and why a burgeoning little dynasty like the Chiefs would be willing to move on from a "Top Tier CB" like Sneed for so relatively little in compensation.

It's an adjustment of a lot of team philosophy toward building from the front back.  If you can get consistent pressure, you're going to be able to keep your head above water with just a "decent" and maybe even slightly patchwork secondary.  Especially if you can get that pressure without blitzing, but even if you have to blitz...and even use some of your secondary as part of that as Spags does sometimes, if it keeps the pressure up, it's just so much less demanding of the secondary overall.  Just so much less to hold up against.

The inverse of this is not really true.  I don't care how elite your Corners are...if you can't get consistent pressure, you've got a bad defense.  It's just asking too much of guys who are put in a pretty impossible situation if they have to defend extended a whole gamut from quick hitters to longer-developing plays, to extended improvisational plays all the time when the front can't get home.  All without being able to so much as sneeze too hard near a WR without a PI flag flying.  It's just a product of the current rules of the game and the way they're enforced.

Losing a really good DB sucks, and ceteris paribus you'd rather have better DBs than worse ones.  But when push comes to shove...that money is better spent on upkeep in the trenches.  And i think we're seeing most really strong, successful, perennial contender sort of teams recognizing and embracing this more and more.  Premium DBs are becoming far more of a "luxury item" and thus get passed around the league even while still in their prime.

eh, idk man, having an elite secondary, particularly the Sneed-McDuffie combo, was a huge reason they were a top 3 defense. Chiefs have poured a ton into the secondary, multiple early and late round picks. A real back to front approach. Offenses are wide open and there are weapons everywhere, you have to compete with that, I wouldn’t say that it’s a luxury, more of a necessity 

There was a big synergistic effect going on with the defense. Very timely. If the secondary failed, the Front 7 would make a play. If the front 7 failed, the secondary would make a play. Spagz blitzes, guys gotta hold up in man coverage, cycle repeats 

An underrated aspect is the off-ball LBs, we’ve put a lot of resources there. 2nd-3rd round picks and Tranquil. We had the deepest room in the league, with 4 unique above-average starter caliber guys. This gave them a lot of flexibility, and they have shut down run games in the post-season and colder months. So many people poopoo them as having little positional value, and that’s just not the case. 

Chiefs have just recently been adding EDGE talent, but the spearhead is Jones. Ultimately it’s was Jones vs Sneed and Jones was always gonna win that one. Hes 30 so well see if it was the right decision, but Sneed is an amazing player and will be missed. Certainly not a luxury.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

eh, idk man, having an elite secondary, particularly the Sneed-McDuffie combo, was a huge reason they were a top 3 defense. Chiefs have poured a ton into the secondary, multiple early and late round picks. A real back to front approach. Offenses are wide open and there are weapons everywhere, you have to compete with that, I wouldn’t say that it’s a luxury, more of a necessity 

There was a big synergistic effect going on with the defense. Very timely. If the secondary failed, the Front 7 would make a play. If the front 7 failed, the secondary would make a play. Spagz blitzes, guys gotta hold up in man coverage, cycle repeats 

An underrated aspect is the off-ball LBs, we’ve put a lot of resources there. 2nd-3rd round picks and Tranquil. We had the deepest room in the league, with 4 unique above-average starter caliber guys. This gave them a lot of flexibility, and they have shut down run games in the post-season and colder months. So many people poopoo them as having little positional value, and that’s just not the case. 

Chiefs have just recently been adding EDGE talent, but the spearhead is Jones. Ultimately it’s was Jones vs Sneed and Jones was always gonna win that one. Hes 30 so well see if it was the right decision, but Sneed is an amazing player and will be missed. Certainly not a luxury.

I mean...going back to the Mahomes draft and giving an extra year of cushion before that as it's when the team really started to "turn things around"...They've selected:

1st Round:  McDuffie as a real standout exception.

2nd Round:  Cook, Thornhill.

3rd Round: Russell (lol).

And that's pretty much it for the secondary with what i'd call anything like "premium" picks.  

4 guys in 8 drafts.  4 Picks out of 24 Total through rounds 1-3 inclusive through the 2016 draft.  That's not a significant investment of picks whatsoever.  Even Snead himself who we're talking 'bout here was a Day3 Flyer.

They've drafted 2 RBs in the Top-3 rounds in that span, for comparison.  As a single position against DB which incorporates...at least 5 different spots.

Emphasis is clearly on DLine/OLine/WR and Offensive Skill positions.  And obviously...getting the QB spot extraordinarily right with their one shot.

And when it comes times to pay DBs or let them go...when the cap gets tight they've leaned toward just letting them go or trading them for whatever they can get.  Start the clock over again on a cheaper DB.  It's guys like Chris Jones that they'll move heaven and earth to keep around for the entire duration of that identified draft interval 'til now.  To me...what a team does with a gun to their head, is what determines what they see as "critical" vs "luxury".  Chiefs chose Jones.  You're right, time will tell if that was correct or not...but that's clearly where they're at philosophically in team-building.  You keep the guy who helps you dominate the trenches over the Pro Bowl caliber DB.

I'd agree though that great LBers are something that smart teams are starting to clue in to as well.  Nobody wants to pay "decent" LBers, but if you've got a true Pro Bowl caliber stud...they can have a huge impact in every phase of the game and are worth investing in.  It's a bit of a weird spot as the counterpart to LBers but with more longevity.  Also a spot where salaries are fairly depressed for true off ball LBers so that makes the decision easier.  But important to have good talent flowing through.

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I mean...going back to the Mahomes draft and giving an extra year of cushion before that as it's when the team really started to "turn things around"...They've selected:

1st Round:  McDuffie as a real standout exception.

2nd Round:  Cook, Thornhill.

3rd Round: Russell (lol).

And that's pretty much it for the secondary with what i'd call anything like "premium" picks.  

4 guys in 8 drafts.  4 Picks out of 24 Total through rounds 1-3 inclusive through the 2016 draft.  That's not a significant investment of picks whatsoever.  Even Snead himself who we're talking 'bout here was a Day3 Flyer.

They've drafted 2 RBs in the Top-3 rounds in that span, for comparison.  As a single position against DB which incorporates...at least 5 different spots.

Emphasis is clearly on DLine/OLine/WR and Offensive Skill positions.  And obviously...getting the QB spot extraordinarily right with their one shot.

And when it comes times to pay DBs or let them go...when the cap gets tight they've leaned toward just letting them go or trading them for whatever they can get.  Start the clock over again on a cheaper DB.  It's guys like Chris Jones that they'll move heaven and earth to keep around for the entire duration of that identified draft interval 'til now.  To me...what a team does with a gun to their head, is what determines what they see as "critical" vs "luxury".  Chiefs chose Jones.  You're right, time will tell if that was correct or not...but that's clearly where they're at philosophically in team-building.  You keep the guy who helps you dominate the trenches over the Pro Bowl caliber DB.

I'd agree though that great LBers are something that smart teams are starting to clue in to as well.  Nobody wants to pay "decent" LBers, but if you've got a true Pro Bowl caliber stud...they can have a huge impact in every phase of the game and are worth investing in.  It's a bit of a weird spot as the counterpart to LBers but with more longevity.  Also a spot where salaries are fairly depressed for true off ball LBers so that makes the decision easier.  But important to have good talent flowing through.

premo picks are nice, but the draft is a lottery, and you can’t win the lottery if you don’t buy a ticket. We’ve spent a lot of resources stocking the cupboard there, multiple picks across multiple rounds and multiple FA moves. Like sheer volume the Chiefs are committing way more resources to the secondary then they are almost any other position group over the last few years.

like the reason we’re confident in moving on from Sneed is because we’ve spent so much on the secondary that we’re likely going to be fine. if we hadn’t been committing those resources I would feel a lot less confident and we likely keep Sneed at least for this year which we could’ve afforded. We have nobody behind Jones, if he leaves it’s just a huge gaping hole at DT, no resources are committed there and we’re ill-prepared for his departure.

Also, with QBs being bigger, stronger and faster, there is only so much a good DL can do. Guys are going to get away, they’re going to make plays. A guy like Mahomes can get away, but if you’re blanketing his receiving options the offense is stymied. And all the rules on hitting QBs, i swear if Chris Jones falls on a QB wrong nowadays it’s an automatic flag. It’s just so important having a strong secondary throughout.

Edited by Chiefer

20 hours ago, Ozzy said:

If that above is not saying you can replace him easily and have done so before, then what is?  Repeatedly turned 4th round or later DBs into quality players, thus Watson, Williams and Jones all 4th round DBs or later will replace him?  Sneed is clearly already the greatest CB of all time, and without him, the Chiefs would have nothing.  Titans got a crazy steal, and are probably Super Bowl bound.

I mean, I agree the Titans got a great deal, but thinking that Sneed is the greatest CB ever or that the Chiefs are nothing without him is a bit of a stretch.

20 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Sneed is the only truly great player the Chiefs have got.  It's why they're a perpetually losing franchise, and why they'll probably never win a Super Bowl.  Sneed is the only one they have got that is truly great in that time span regardless of round.   But sure is easy to think oh they always do that, they can get another like him easily...

This seems out of left field/  I think you forgot that the Chiefs won back to back Super Bowls.  And they do have lots of other good players, like Mahomes, but even on defense, they have a good group of linebackers, Trent McDuffie, and Chris Jones.  Getting a No. 2 CB in the draft shouldn't be that hard, especially now with extra capital.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, I agree the Titans got a great deal, but thinking that Sneed is the greatest CB ever or that the Chiefs are nothing without him is a bit of a stretch.

This seems out of left field/  I think you forgot that the Chiefs won back to back Super Bowls.  And they do have lots of other good players, like Mahomes, but even on defense, they have a good group of linebackers, Trent McDuffie, and Chris Jones.  Getting a No. 2 CB in the draft shouldn't be that hard, especially now with extra capital.

I am hoping that either Joshua Williams or Jaylen Watson can fill that role...maybe even splits snaps based on situation. If the team plans on using McDuffie more on the outside, maybe we look at adding a free agent or draft pick that can get some snaps inside at nickel corner and give us some continuity in coverage assignments and as far as a run defender and situational blitzer.

On 3/29/2024 at 10:29 AM, Chiefer said:

weird 

Is it like a wink wink, nudge nudge "post June 1st" designated trade or something?  Would there be any reason for that to have an impact?

On 3/29/2024 at 12:29 PM, Chiefer said:

weird 

24 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Is it like a wink wink, nudge nudge "post June 1st" designated trade or something?  Would there be any reason for that to have an impact?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

@General Tso posted the updated tweet, but for the record, no, pre or post June 1st would have no impact cap space wise for a traded player on a franchise tag. Only matters if there's pro-rated signing bonus money that would hit when the player is cut/traded, which could then be deferred to the next year. But franchise tag is all guaranteed salary, no proration unless a proper deal is agreed to.

• Like 1