Chiefs Trade CB L’Jarius Snead to Titans

TheRealMcCoy

Are the Chiefs really that cash needy?  Seems like a great deal for Tennessee and they did not have to give up much at all.  At $19 mil a year for Sneed seems pretty damn cheap I would say for a potential All Pro/ Pro Bowl corner.  Dude was easily over the past four years one of the lowest paid players in the league considering the great production the Chiefs got out of him for all of those four years.

Dude is a stud corner, honestly thought he would have got $20-22+ mil a year.  Curious how the Chiefs plan on filling that spot but they are always good at finding CB talent.  They will no longer have the two best pure cover corners in the league, no only have one in McDuffie.  Honestly without Sneed I feel no way they win the last two Super Bowls, dude is a legit lock down corner!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Are the Chiefs really that cash needy?  Seems like a great deal for Tennessee and they did not have to give up much at all.  At $19 mil a year for Sneed seems pretty damn cheap I would say for a potential All Pro/ Pro Bowl corner.  Dude was easily over the past four years one of the lowest paid players in the league considering the great production the Chiefs got out of him for all of those four years.

Dude is a stud corner, honestly thought he would have got $20-22+ mil a year.  Curious how the Chiefs plan on filling that spot but they are always good at finding CB talent.  They will no longer have the two best pure cover corners in the league, no only have one in McDuffie.  Honestly without Sneed I feel no way they win the last two Super Bowls, dude is a legit lock down corner!

Seems to me it's threefold..

1. They know better than anyone what his medicals look like and may be worried about the future

2. They are very confident in their ability to find and develop corners

3. Saving that cap space for the DL/OL is paramount. They have won and lost super bowls in the trenches 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, adamq said:

Seems to me it's threefold..

1. They know better than anyone what his medicals look like and may be worried about the future

2. They are very confident in their ability to find and develop corners

3. Saving that cap space for the DL/OL is paramount. They have won and lost super bowls in the trenches 

Possibly, but I would argue without Sneed they do not win those Super Bowls.  He and McDuffie were no question the best two pure cover corners on any one team in the NFL.  Sure McDuffie was moved around a lot and covered the slot a lot which is super difficult but Sneed was lock down outside on the boundary all of those four years and really was a great player that entire time.

Not sure they will just go find another CB that easily but we will see.  Sure they got Williams, Watson and Jones but none of them are close to as great as Sneed.  And they pay all of those guys basically dirt also, so they sure do know how to find talent, use it then get rid of them and go pay another rookie to take his place and pay him nothing for four years as a late round pick.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Possibly, but I would argue without Sneed they do not win those Super Bowls.  He and McDuffie were no question the best two pure cover corners on any one team in the NFL.  Sure McDuffie was moved around a lot and covered the slot a lot which is super difficult but Sneed was lock down outside on the boundary all of those four years and really was a great player that entire time.

Not sure they will just go find another CB that easily but we will see.  Sure they got Williams, Watson and Jones but none of them are close to as great as Sneed.  And they pay all of those guys basically dirt also, so they sure do know how to find talent, use it then get rid of them and go pay another rookie to take his place and pay him nothing for four years as a late round pick.  

Thats the life you live as a contender. Can't keep everyone, at least for very long.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kramxel said:

Never rated him as high as most people. He's a good player, but I've never seen him as some shutdown corner. He definitely can be had. 

Trade value seems OK.

Especially since he won't be able to be as grabby since he's not playing for the NFL's darling team.

32 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Can't my head around the low compensation, the fact the Chiefs were willing to deal at that price and that no big contending team were in on him. Weird all around. 

Personally, I don't like giving up a day 2 draft pick to sign a guy to a free agent type contract. I'd only do it if I thought it set myself up for a real championship run.
Otherwise it's double compensation for one player. Happens a lot but it doesn't seem like smart business.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Personally, I don't like giving up a day 2 draft pick to sign a guy to a free agent type contract. I'd only do it if I thought it set myself up for a real championship run.
Otherwise it's double compensation for one player. Happens a lot but it doesn't seem like smart business.

I actually agree with this alot and was originally my main concern. I think what helped in this case was the contract. At 19 mil per it makes him the 8th highest paid CB. This will go down once McDuffie, sauce, surtain, woolen, and maybe Horn get their money. I feel like that negates some of the draft compensation. The original contract was going to be 20-22 mil making him the highest paid CB would have been too much for me personally. 

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

We aren't that cash needy this year, but will be next. We could have afforded Sneed this year, but there would've been more serious repercussions to keeping him long term (Creed, Smith, Bolton, and Reid are all FAs next year.) And we have both good depth and an excellent track record at DB. We're still 3 deep with good players at both CB and S, and the team was really high on Nazeeh Johnson before his injury. We've also basically repeatedly turned 4th round and later DBs into quality players for the last few years, including Sneed himself. We've lost Mathieu, Thornhill, Ward, etc., and have churned out replacements just fine. They're just not as concerned about keeping things stable at that position compared to spots like DT, where had we lost Jones we'd have had basically no high end talent there, WR (almost sunk last season), or the OL spots (need LT this year, will need interior next in some form) which lost us a superbowl.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

We aren't that cash needy this year, but will be next. We could have afforded Sneed this year, but there would've been more serious repercussions to keeping him long term (Creed, Smith, Bolton, and Reid are all FAs next year.) And we have both good depth and an excellent track record at DB. We're still 3 deep with good players at both CB and S, and the team was really high on Nazeeh Johnson before his injury. We've also basically repeatedly turned 4th round and later DBs into quality players for the last few years, including Sneed himself. We've lost Mathieu, Thornhill, Ward, etc., and have churned out replacements just fine. They're just not as concerned about keeping things stable at that position compared to spots like DT, where had we lost Jones we'd have had basically no high end talent there, WR (almost sunk last season), or the OL spots (need LT this year, will need interior next in some form) which lost us a superbowl.

True they do have a track record of getting quality DBs late but could say that about many other positions other than just CB.

But they will have to find one in the draft because I really doubt Williams, Jones or Watson will ever be the same level player as Sneed has been.  And I still say without him at CB they do not win the last two Super Bowls, if it was Watson out there and Sneed missed all last year, no way they win.  Sure Sneed had what bad "PFF" rating, the dude was a stud on an island for the last three years.  He is a great player, and compare contracts with say Greenard who the Vikings signed at edge at basically the same price, no way is Greenard over the next four years a better player than Sneed I feel, Sneed is legit!

Just now, Ozzy said:

True they do have a track record of getting quality DBs late but could say that about many other positions other than just CB.

But they will have to find one in the draft because I really doubt Williams, Jones or Watson will ever be the same level player as Sneed has been.  And I still say without him at CB they do not win the last two Super Bowls, if it was Watson out there and Sneed missed all last year, no way they win.  Sure Sneed had what bad "PFF" rating, the dude was a stud on an island for the last three years.  He is a great player, and compare contracts with say Greenard who the Vikings signed at edge at basically the same price, no way is Greenard over the next four years a better player than Sneed I feel, Sneed is legit!

We don't need a CB on Sneed's level. Those resources will go elsewhere and the make of the team will shift, as it has before. We wouldn't have won the first superbowl without Tyreek Hill. We never found another WR close to his level, but we still won two more without him because we got better on the OL and defense and found different ways to win. I would be very surprised if they invest a high pick in CB. They will not go in with the mentality of needing to replace Sneed. It doesn't really work that way. CB will probably be worse this year (still fine, IMO, but worse), but those resources will go elsewhere and they'll find different ways to win games next year. Like, we wouldn't have beat Baltimore without Sneed forcing the Zay Jones fumble. But maybe we do if Sneed isn't there to force that fumble but we also have enough talent in the WR room to score more than 17 points. Gotta be able to see the bigger picture. They've stayed on top not by trying to keep every good piece together, or by trying to replace them one to one, but by shifting as necessary and winning in varied ways based on the talent they can find.

• Like 6