Should We Trade Up?

Trade up?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Trade #12, 2025 and 2026 1st Round Picks for QB?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

I don't mind taking a QB then building the team but it can't be at the expense of mortgaging multiple years of high value draft picks. If a top talent falls to us at our current pick, sure lets draft him and hope he's the one despite our depleted roster with the downside being he's not and we pushed back our window by max one year. 

That said, I vastly prefer to build the team first and then go after a QB. And by build the team I mean both drafting talented players at other key spots but also stacking our resources in future drafts to set us up to not have to mortgage our future. Perfect example imo is the OKC Thunder. They've drafted and developed their team to a top 5 team in the NBA AND have 15 first round picks in the next 7 years. They can use those to trade for a superstar, trade up in the draft for a top talent, or keep adding to their depth all without impacting future years. That's the direction I hope we go. Trade down, accumulate future draft capital, build the team, and if there is a QB in a couple years that Sean loves, go get him with the ammunition you've built up during down years. 

I'm quite a fan of your preferred approach.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I don't mind taking a QB then building the team but it can't be at the expense of mortgaging multiple years of high value draft picks. If a top talent falls to us at our current pick, sure lets draft him and hope he's the one despite our depleted roster with the downside being he's not and we pushed back our window by max one year. 

That said, I vastly prefer to build the team first and then go after a QB. And by build the team I mean both drafting talented players at other key spots but also stacking our resources in future drafts to set us up to not have to mortgage our future. Perfect example imo is the OKC Thunder. They've drafted and developed their team to a top 5 team in the NBA AND have 15 first round picks in the next 7 years. They can use those to trade for a superstar, trade up in the draft for a top talent, or keep adding to their depth all without impacting future years. That's the direction I hope we go. Trade down, accumulate future draft capital, build the team, and if there is a QB in a couple years that Sean loves, go get him with the ammunition you've built up during down years. 

Ugh, thanks for reminding me about the Thunder 😩 as a Nuggets diehard it really scares me.

That is an interesting comparison but one that I think is definitely not 1:1 in comparison to NFL and how picks are valued/traded in either league. I know you're just trying to make a point but it seems way more rare that NFL teams stock future picks in that way. If anything that's been our strategy for a few years under Paton until we spent all those picks on Russ/Sean. 

Like everyone else, I voted no. As much as I would love a young elite QB there are no guarantees even with sure-thing prospects and this team is just way too devoid of talent. 

Trade down, stock picks, stock young talent and if you have the chance to get your guy without leveraging two years of top picks, do it. I just don't see in what universe trading 3x first round picks for even Caleb Williams gets us a fast track to lasting contention. 

• Like 3

The Rams have an f them picks approach and I'm a big fan of what they do but than again not many teams are finding a Kolby Turner in round 3 or a Puka Nakua in round 5. I think had our 2023 draft netted better results or Rams like results I'd be more inclined to f them picks.

The Texans went from bottom feeders to playoff team in one off-season but then again they got a franchise qb, franchise edge, and stud wr in one draft we need something like that desperately. 

Edited by thebestever6
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

Ugh, thanks for reminding me about the Thunder 😩 as a Nuggets diehard it really scares me.

That is an interesting comparison but one that I think is definitely not 1:1 in comparison to NFL and how picks are valued/traded in either league. I know you're just trying to make a point but it seems way more rare that NFL teams stock future picks in that way. If anything that's been our strategy for a few years under Paton until we spent all those picks on Russ/Sean. 

Actually, the combined Paton/Fangio draft, Patons first, was great but that was the last one. Paton traded for Russ his 2nd year. In his 3 year tenure we've only had 1 1st rd pick.

Hard to find a strategy there. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I primarily have followed the nba and ya, the thunder absolutely took the Hinke model in Phili and turned it up a notch. They also build their front office off the dynasty spurs teams which was heavily draft and dev based.

I could see something similar here w/ the reports of Payton and the Walmarts trying to change the culture from the ground up and Sean trying to get players in here with certain roles and traits in mind that he knows leads to success (especially more in the old-school lost art realm; see spurs and thunder and actually nuggz too tbh).

I guess it remains to be seen if we can actually pull that off and I think this draft will tell us basically everything we will need to know in this regard

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Actually, the combined Paton/Fangio draft, Patons first, was great but that was the last one. Paton traded for Russ his 2nd year. In his 3 year tenure we've only had 1 1st rd pick.

Hard to find a strategy there. 

You're right, fair enough! I guess I'm still holding onto that initial optimism. I will say I think that is George's preferred strategy but one area he's struggled in is being tempted by the big move out of necessity? Who knows. Most were down with the Russ move (including me).  

I can't really explain it but with the new ownership, the egg on everyone's face with regard to Russ including the new ownership for paying him what they did I just see the front office/ownership as being desperate.  Being desperate is not a position of strength and I for sure see them taking a swing for one of the big qb's.  I agree with most here who say that is not the wisest move but again it is the move I fully expect.  Funny how the draft is across the river from me this year.  Each and every year I am all over the draft with all its mocks and walters football (just because all the names are their and I can look up a player that we or the lions are supposedly interested in).  I usually watch all the related shows pertaining to the draft as well.  Most know me as this is what I refer to as the season of hope but alas I have no hope right now.   I have not followed anything at all this year with regard to the draft.  This team is sucking the life out of me.  Sure hope this sinking ship somehow gets saved!!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

I can't really explain it but with the new ownership, the egg on everyone's face with regard to Russ including the new ownership for paying him what they did I just see the front office/ownership as being desperate.  

I don't think that's true. All the moves they've made, coaching staff, FO, and personnel are on the surface all long term moves leaning towards draft and develop. Patience required!  Desperate is what they were when  we traded for Russ. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Zukhyubern said:

You're right, fair enough! I guess I'm still holding onto that initial optimism. I will say I think that is George's preferred strategy but one area he's struggled in is being tempted by the big move out of necessity? Who knows. Most were down with the Russ move (including me).  

When George was hired I read as much as I could find about him. Nothing really special about him except for one thing. His draft preparation and feel for it were amazing. He and his staff spent days on mock drafts, what team needed what, over valued players, and the list goes on. the depth and detail to his approach far surpasses anything else I've ever heard of. That's why his draft day maneuvering works so well.   In that he's basically worth  an extra pick every year. He's great at that.

Sean's the guy making all the moves now and he does fall into the be patient, build a solid foundation and draft and develop. I'm sure he views George as a great asset on draft day and he should. I just doubt he relies on him for much else. 

Actually, as hard as I've been on George, I'm glad Sean didn't fire him. On draft day he's a remarkable asset.

• Like 3

I really like Drake Maye if he starts falling I can talk myself into trading up for him I do think he's a generational talent. He's got the youngest sibling syndrome where he's just ultra competitive, his athletism, his arm. If you wanted to bank on him reaching his ceiling he's 21 now I'd be all on board with it.

McCarthy I could even be sold on. First love was Hockey so he's tough as nails played in the state championship with a broken thumb. Pro style offense has a lot of plus traits and is super young. Winner at every level so far.

Those are the only 2 I can see a trade up Jayden Daniels though he's fun to watch he's got too many flaws for me. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

I don't have a problem with trading up to get a QB - it is the hardest position to fill - but they better get it right if they do, because otherwise we have ten years of misery

If they do trade multiple picks to move up for a QB and that QB busts because either a) they drafted the wrong one or b) they fail to have a team around him and he is ruined mentally, it’ll be the end of Sean’s and George’s careers - Sean will go back into media and George will end up a scouting director somewhere. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

b) they fail to have a team around him and he is ruined mentally

Well, they have set the team up to be a player in the 2025 free agent market, so they still should have a realistic chance to rebuild a team.

38 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, they have set the team up to be a player in the 2025 free agent market, so they still should have a realistic chance to rebuild a team.

While that’s true, you’re paying A+ money for B/C level players rather than cost controlled young players. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Personally I think counting on FA's to build a roster is a dead end. It's a great way to fill a specific spot or upgrade depth and overall talent level with vet minimums, but it's too cost prohibitive to do much else. 

That's how you end up with the McGlincheys and Powers of the world being paid as top tier talent when they're in reality just average journeyman. @AnAngryAmerican hit the nail on  the head with his post.

• Like 3