2024 MLB Gameday Thread

Thelonebillsfan

Ohtani is not fair. Though a part of me wonders how this game changes if the 3b for the Marlins knew how to make a tag. He had no business being safe on that 1st inning steal

On 9/18/2024 at 11:41 PM, nagahide13 said:

Tigers are a half game out. Hinch has been incredible with this 3.5 man rotation. They really whiffed on Tork and Mize but the youth has been great and they've got a great system behind it. Really excited to see what Jobe and Clark bring in a year or two.

Some of the contact data for Tork is looking better.  I’m just surprised that he was such a sure thing, and I wanted him over Kjerstad, and it’s been this bad.  

I’d say let’s see how Mize looks a full year removed from TJ.  It looks like he does well, the league makes adjustments, and then he makes them and does well, and they make adjustments again.  I wonder if there something that can be tweaked more pitch-wise this off-season that is more permanent.  

5 hours ago, mse326 said:

Ohtani is not fair. Though a part of me wonders how this game changes if the 3b for the Marlins knew how to make a tag. He had no business being safe on that 1st inning steal

Connor Norby’s biggest knock on him in the Orioles system was his defense.  Why they have him playing 3B, when the Orioles basically had him 2B/LF, is beyond me, but it’s a terrible rebuilding team in the last two weeks so I guess they can justify it as a ‘learning opportunity’ 

13 hours ago, beekay414 said:

GX4WiPuXsAASVJ3?format=jpg&name=medium

Hot Take: In 2024 it's okay to admit that Bonds' steroids usage uber-inflated his statistics compared to players who have not been credibly linked to PEDs. I promise no one will call you a sanctimonious boomer.

In addition, Ohtani can both pitch and not commit domestic violence.

Edited by redsoxsuck05
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Hot Take: In 2024 it's okay to admit that Bonds' steroids usage uber-inflated his statistics compared to players who have not been credibly linked to PEDs.

Hot take: Everyone in his era was on something. His numbers still made them all look like little leaguers. He's still the GOAT. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Hot Take: In 2024 it's okay to admit that Bonds' steroids usage uber-inflated his statistics compared to players who have not been credibly linked to PEDs. I promise no one will call you a sanctimonious boomer.

In addition, Ohtani can both pitch and not commit domestic violence.

Why wasn’t anyone else close to his numbers then? He as he the only one juicing?

To be fair, if Ohtani had steroids and his pop ups to CF become HRs, he too would have been intentionally walked a ton too.  Bonds did have a better bat overall than Ohtani, so have quite a few people even today, but to match that with the speed/baserunning ability and his Cy Young level pitching, he is the most impressive athlete I have ever seen.  

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

To be fair, if Ohtani had steroids and his pop ups to CF become HRs, he too would have been intentionally walked a ton too.  Bonds did have a better bat overall than Ohtani, so have quite a few people even today, but to match that with the speed/baserunning ability and his Cy Young level pitching, he is the most impressive athlete I have ever seen.  

Bonds is literally the only member of the 500/500 club (and he's 762/514 for that matter)...and 400/400 club. It's not like Bonds didn't have a nine year stretch of averaging 36 HR and 36 SB a season (40/40 per 162 fwiw) while hitting .305/.438/.600 before the video game number seasons even started.

Edited by beekay414