HB Final Mock Off-Season 2024

Lets get down to business 

Draft

Round 1: Olumuyiwa Fashanu LT -our OL needs more talent, and I let the draft come to us. I don't reach on QB and look to attack the trenches. Fashanu is a Day1 starting LT. Kolton moves over to his college position of RT. Munford becomes our swing tackle, and suddenly our OT is looking good. Our tackles would be a strength and athletic in the new blocking scheme. Fashanu is a team captain on the offensive side 

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Olu-Fashanu-OL-PennState

Round 2- Kiran Amegadjie RG- I think he can thrive as a RG. We are aggressive in making our OL better. Kiran is a athletic specimen who played great in college. Yale student of the game who could thrive playing inside. He played at RG in college before moving to tackle. We would be adding size, strength, athletic ability with these two picks 

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Kiran-Amegadjie-OL-Yale

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kiran-amegadjie/3200414d-4528-3781-117b-20e12d587385

R3- Mason Smith DT/NT - Former 5 star recruit, suffered a big injury in 2022. He still big, elite athlete and could thrive in the NFL.. 2023 was a recovery year. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/maason-smith/3200534d-4950-1138-61be-6010d78fdcb8

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Maason-Smith-DT-LSU

R4- Joe Milton QB - this might scratch a few heads, but in the mid rounds you are drafting for potential. Milton is one of the biggest boom / bust options in the draft. 4th is worth the gamble. If we can hit on Milton, this team would be looking good. Milton is an A level athlete, A plus arm, elite size, can scramble, can be accurate. He just hasnt put it all together. Could he be a better NFL QB then college? Trait based QB, who a coach could mold. Rattler could be an option here. 

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Joe-Milton-QB-Michigan

R5- James Williams LB- I feel like Pierce like Williams as they met 1on1. Williams might project as a LB in the NFL. 6'4 235, would instantly be our 3rd best LB. Could be a force on special teams 

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/James-Williams-S-Miami

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/james-williams/32005749-4c33-2566-ad75-de335f6a9aae

R6- Kendall Milton RB- elite size and has burst. Milton also has good vision, and low milage. Good bloodlines, chain mover, and runs physical. Could be used on short yardage plays as a rookie, and insurance for Zeus or push Mattison.  I think he can be a steal and be able to pound the rock 

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Kendall-Milton-RB-Georgia

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kendall-milton/32004d49-4c81-8306-5a37-f9ad0a72cb92

R7- Carlton Johnson CB- 6'0 and runs a 4.28. He was a good player in college, another traits based player who could fight for PT. I think our CBs are going look better with a great DL. Johnson gives my DaRon Bland vibes. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/carlton-johnson/32004a4f-4809-4407-5897-b610163c8edf

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Carlton-Johnson-DB-FresnoState

Good development CB. Elite Speed 

R7- Zach Wilson trade- I say we trade a pick for a shot at Wilson. Jets would want to clear the space, we throw a dart on the board. Maybe Wilson can develop out of NY pressure, and a fresh start closer to home

https://youtube.com/shorts/-wabbFDUkhw?si=Kpyc4Y7oikZPLo6A

Draft Objective: Build up the trenches. We draft 2 long term studs for the OL. We draft a high ceiling DT, and take on two upside QB. We also add nice prospects in RB, LB, CB

QB: Gardner, Wilson, Milton, AOC

RB: Zeus, Mattison, Milton, Abdullah 

WR: Tae, Meyers, Tucker, FA 

TE: Mayer, Bryant, Gentry

T: Olu, Miller, Munford, Wagner

G: Parham, Kiran, Meredith

Center: James

DE: Maxx, Wilson, Koonce, Robinson

DT: Wilkins, Jenkins, M Smith, Butler, Young

OLB: Deablo, Williams, Masterson, Burney 

MLB: Spillane, Butler

CB: Jones, Fracyson, Hobbs, Bennett, Webb, Johnson 

S: Moehrig, Epps, Pola-Mao, Smith

K/ P/ LS: Carlson, Cole, Bobenmoyer

thoughts? thank you for any feedback

Edited by Humble_Beast

I'm starting to like this kind of draft for us.  Drop QB from the whole thing though, add other players in Milton and Wilson's spots.  Build up the team, roll with AOC or Minshew for this season and look for your QB next offseason.  Hopefully add some picks for next year along the way.  

I think we are just in a bad spot for QB and shouldn't force anything to get just any body in there. We waste another year of Adams and Crosby, but I think that will happen regardless.

• Like 1

Like the idea of building the trenches but can’t see the reason why we would spend 2 draft picks on QBs. 

Also why would we move Miller ? You end up with 2 unknowns then, can Fashanu play  in the NFL and can Miller play RT. Keep Miller at LT and play Fashanu RT and let’s see how he looks for a year or 2. 

Given Gentry uses outside zone scheme do we think these OL players are a good fit? I’m no expert but the suggestion is Amegadjie will require some coaching which is why I have him going later.  Likes of Fuaga, Rosengarten, Puni, Laumea and Suamataia look better fits for Gentry I think. 

Johnson the CB has a Marcus Peters style to run D, but is good in coverage. 

Is Williams a former safety? 

• Like 2

Can't argue with picks 1 and 2. But you're not moving Miller to the RT spot, so Fashanu would need to hold the RT spot until Miller leaves/retires which is fine. 

Might argue for CB or WR in round 2 purely from a value standpoint, but fills a need with a good talent. 

Smith, I like as someone who can outplay draft position if he stays healthy. Lot of untapped potential there. 

Milton is buns. I wouldn't waste a pick on him. I want a QB who has it between the ears. Despite his massive arm talent, the dude had a sub 40% completion rate on passes over 10 yards. He has no touch, timing, accuracy or anticipation. 4th round is to rich. And you have your developmental QB in AOC. Not enough reps to go around.

Rest is whatever. Developmental types. Could be better value, but don't hate it. 

The 7th for Zach Wilson is an LOL.... you just wasted a pick on Milton. Now you want one more guy in the room who needs reps to develop? 

Overall C. The Raiders are starting Minshew with the same WR talent. They have a major hole at corner. The team as whole didn't improve much from the draft.

• Like 2

if we dont take a QB in round 1, id rather just punt til next year altogether, unless we get Penix or Nix in round two(not happening imo) 

with no QB, im taking Arnold or Mitchell to stack the defense

• Like 1

I would definitely dig an OL heavy draft. From all accounts Fashanu is one of the best pass pro guys but projects much better at LT, but I am weary of moving Miller. I think he could do it but I rather just draft Fuaga or another high level RT than a pure LT and move Miller. 

• Like 1

If we're not going QB early as the presumptive starter, punt on it entirely. 

Milton and Wilson add zilch when we have Minshew and AOC, both of whom we'd rather trade than cut out of attrition down the road. Wilson wastes a roster spot. We don't need 3 developmental QBs on the roster. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dessie said:

Like the idea of building the trenches but can’t see the reason why we would spend 2 draft picks on QBs. 

Also why would we move Miller ? You end up with 2 unknowns then, can Fashanu play  in the NFL and can Miller play RT. Keep Miller at LT and play Fashanu RT and let’s see how he looks for a year or 2. 

Given Gentry uses outside zone scheme do we think these OL players are a good fit? I’m no expert but the suggestion is Amegadjie will require some coaching which is why I have him going later.  Likes of Fuaga, Rosengarten, Puni, Laumea and Suamataia look better fits for Gentry I think. 

Johnson the CB has a Marcus Peters style to run D, but is good in coverage. 

Is Williams a former safety? 

both are powerful, athletic OL. We get bigger, more athletic, strong with adding these two OL. I take two shots at QB because I think we have one of the worst QB rooms in the league after the big 3 go in the top 3. Williams is a LB convert from SS, AP flew to Miami to meet with him. I think Miller is very good, a top 7 LT. I'm not sure Miller can get ALL Pro level, but I think OLU can be a All Pro LT. Remember, Miller played RT in college. Miller is a team player can I think he can be an all pro RT. I wouldn't ask him  to take a paycut or anything. OLU wouldn't be off his rookie salary until 2029. Miller can still be the high paid Tackle on the team. 

5 hours ago, RaidersForever said:

4th is too rich for Milton (or Rattler, for that matter). If either of those guys are still available in the 7th, then I would definitely consider it -- but not before that.

It's not likely to draft a 4th round starter. I was looking for a high ceiling player at a position of need. I couldn't see another player in the range with that type of potential. A 4th round pick is not going to make or break a draft. 

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Can't argue with picks 1 and 2. But you're not moving Miller to the RT spot, so Fashanu would need to hold the RT spot until Miller leaves/retires which is fine. 

Might argue for CB or WR in round 2 purely from a value standpoint, but fills a need with a good talent. 

Smith, I like as someone who can outplay draft position if he stays healthy. Lot of untapped potential there. 

Milton is buns. I wouldn't waste a pick on him. I want a QB who has it between the ears. Despite his massive arm talent, the dude had a sub 40% completion rate on passes over 10 yards. He has no touch, timing, accuracy or anticipation. 4th round is to rich. And you have your developmental QB in AOC. Not enough reps to go around.

Rest is whatever. Developmental types. Could be better value, but don't hate it. 

The 7th for Zach Wilson is an LOL.... you just wasted a pick on Milton. Now you want one more guy in the room who needs reps to develop? 

Overall C. The Raiders are starting Minshew with the same WR talent. They have a major hole at corner. The team as whole didn't improve much from the draft.

You know it's a great mock when the haters don't ruin the post. Milton and Wilson are just Day 3 Dart throws. I would be open to a 4 man race to starting QB this summer. Best man win, better than drafting a practice squad player. A lot of people said that AR15 stood no chance but he looked good as a rookie. Being big, athletic, running ability, with a good cast of offense could do wonders for Milton. Imagine if the 49ers thought they were set with Jimmy G, and ignored QBs on day 3. Hitting on a day 3 QB would be huge. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

If we're not going QB early as the presumptive starter, punt on it entirely. 

Milton and Wilson add zilch when we have Minshew and AOC, both of whom we'd rather trade than cut out of attrition down the road. Wilson wastes a roster spot. We don't need 3 developmental QBs on the roster. 

I honestly think AOC is one of those overhyped Raiders. He's a QB3/fringe roster guy, who is going to be fighting for a spot in a new offensive scheme. AOC has like 2 good games, and one of those games the team gave up. He might make a jump and be a solid QB2, but he isn't stopping me from trying to add talent to the unit. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I honestly think AOC is one of those overhyped Raiders. He's a QB3/fringe roster guy, who is going to be fighting for a spot in a new offensive scheme. AOC has like 2 good games, and one of those games the team gave up. He might make a jump and be a solid QB2, but he isn't stopping me from trying to add talent to the unit. 

That's sort of the problem though- Joe Milton and Zach Wilson are fringe QB3's too, while Minshew is a middle of the pack QB2. No need to spend so much on 4 of those types. 2 is enough. Use the picks and roster spots for something else.

I could stomach a late round flyer on a QB via pick or trade- though Wilson is the drizzling shi!ts so he can kick rocks- but no need to spend a 4th rounder on another fringe QB3. 

• Like 3

Agree with most everyone here, no real argument with first few picks though you don’t move a Pro Bowl LT for a question mark rookie, creating two potential issues instead of filling a need.

Personally, I don’t mind throwing a 4th round pick at a QB like a lottery ticket as most 4th rounders don’t amount to anything, though that seems a little rich for Joe Milton maybe? Wilson is a complete bust and no chance of redemption, just move along, no use throwing any draft pick that way IMO.

8 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

You know it's a great mock when the haters don't ruin the post. Milton and Wilson are just Day 3 Dart throws. I would be open to a 4 man race to starting QB this summer. Best man win, better than drafting a practice squad player. A lot of people said that AR15 stood no chance but he looked good as a rookie. Being big, athletic, running ability, with a good cast of offense could do wonders for Milton. Imagine if the 49ers thought they were set with Jimmy G, and ignored QBs on day 3. Hitting on a day 3 QB would be huge. 

AR15 had throws on tape that translated to the NFL. He only 13 games in college. Milton was in college for 6 years.

I'd recommend watching more Milton. Anyone can look good in a 3-4 minute youtube video. You watch him, and despite being in as QB friendly an offense as you can find (same one that made Hendon Hooker).  Based on one read and throws and spacing and he couldn't hit open targets consistently. His completion percentage on passes over 10 yards was<40% as previously mentioned. 

He lacks all anticipation and field vision. Has to wait for guys to break open, vs. throwing them open. Is late consistently which will lead to INTs in the pros. He Pre-determines where he is going before the snap and stares down his targets. Despite all his size and athleticism, he doesn't create plays. He only ran for 300 yards last season despite bailing early anytime he's pressured. 

He's undraftable. All the physical talents in the world, but doesn't have it between the ears where it matters.