2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

59 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I think you need RB3 on the roster, especially if he can contribute on ST. I remember catching some chuckles about discussing RB3 last season but that guy can become a starter in a hurry and it’s a position where a young unknown guy could make a difference if you keep churning and find a good one. This year people are discussing RB4, that should be a PS guy with some upside.

Last year if I recall, Wilson was kept over Taylor but we elevated Taylor the maximum number of games before he got claimed. We waited the required amount of time and then signed him to the 53 once Wilson and Jones were injured.

With the ridiculous buyer’s market on RBs, I hope we really churn those depth spots and strike gold or silver. Doesn’t make sense to highly pay more than one and we should always have that guy’s replacement in the chamber. 

But we have 3 RBs.  Josh Jacobs, AJ Dillon, MarShawn Lloyd.  What we are looking at then is do Wilson, et al, offer more than TE4, OL10, WR6, LB5 etc.  I would sum it up as, I would feel comfortable with Wilson, Merriweather, or Howard at RB3, if we suffered an injury.  At the same time, I am also comfortable releasing all three of them and getting at least one back on the PS, probably whichever is your flavor.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Taylor was on the Patriots PS after we used up our activation allotment.  Then we signed him off their PS to our active roster when we were short on RBs.  

He was never claimed from the Packers.

21 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

But we have 3 RBs.  Josh Jacobs, AJ Dillon, MarShawn Lloyd.  What we are looking at then is do Wilson, et al, offer more than TE4, OL10, WR6, LB5 etc.  I would sum it up as, I would feel comfortable with Wilson, Merriweather, or Howard at RB3, if we suffered an injury.  At the same time, I am also comfortable releasing all three of them and getting at least one back on the PS, probably whichever is your flavor.

Merriweather or Howard have done nothing yet to prove they could even carry Wilson's jockstrap. Because you want to lump them all together doesn't make them the same.  

34 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Understood. I was just mentioning getting a good old fashioned rodgering last season when I was splitting hairs over RB3. This year our RB3 is either last year’s RB2 or a very promising rookie who could become a feature of this offense. No way we keep 4 on the 53 but I hope even the PS guys are either good at certain things like Taylor or have a high potential. Maybe that’s Wilson, maybe the Alcorn St.  guy, maybe they are currently on someone else’s 90. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, R T said:

He was never claimed from the Packers.

Merriweather or Howard have done nothing yet to prove they could even carry Wilson's jockstrap. Because you want to lump them all together doesn't make them the same.  

Well, at this time last year Wilson was an UDFA who had been released by the Broncos after 3 days.  So you never know. If I may borrow your elegant verbiage, at this time last year Emanuel Wilson hadn't done anything to prove he could carry Patrick Taylor's jockstrap. 

12 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Well, at this time last year Wilson was an UDFA who had been released by the Broncos after 3 days.  So you never know. If I may borrow your elegant verbiage, at this time last year Emanuel Wilson hadn't done anything to prove he could carry Patrick Taylor's jockstrap. 

Thanks for the history update, but living in the here and now, one has accomplished something and two haven't. There is a difference.

16 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Two things here. 

1. You are trying to figure out who's the tallest midget in the circus. 

2. Yes, he actually has proven to be Patrick Taylor +++. It's also not a very high bar for the tallest midget in the circus to jump over. 

Patrick Taylor Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Emanuel Wilson Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com

this is from a couple days ago but it’s a fun interview. There’s some playful trash talk about the Niners and a funny cameo from Josh Jacobs where he reframes the trip to Brazil. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Understood. I was just mentioning getting a good old fashioned rodgering last season when I was splitting hairs over RB3. This year our RB3 is either last year’s RB2 or a very promising rookie who could become a feature of this offense. No way we keep 4 on the 53 but I hope even the PS guys are either good at certain things like Taylor or have a high potential. Maybe that’s Wilson, maybe the Alcorn St.  guy, maybe they are currently on someone else’s 90. 

My bad, I don't recall if I was coming for you or not, probably not because I was always a Patrick Taylor guy.  We have shown to keep at least one RB on the PS, I have no idea which one that will be to start this season, but like I said, I like all three that are in camp to be able to function as a RB3 if we have an injury, but I guess @R T's mileage varies.  😁 

Off hand, does anyone remember if we have ever gone into the season with just 2 RBs, to save a roster spot? Maybe when we had Kuhn and Cobb, or when we had Ty Montgomery at WR? It has been so long, and the rosters change composition by week 3 anyway, I cannot remember.  I do recall plenty of times we went 2 QB, and I think that is a wise roster move, if you can get away with it.

5 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

My bad, I don't recall if I was coming for you or not, probably not because I was always a Patrick Taylor guy.  We have shown to keep at least one RB on the PS, I have no idea which one that will be to start this season, but like I said, I like all three that are in camp to be able to function as a RB3 if we have an injury, but I guess @R T's mileage varies.  😁 

Off hand, does anyone remember if we have ever gone into the season with just 2 RBs, to save a roster spot? Maybe when we had Kuhn and Cobb, or when we had Ty Montgomery at WR? It has been so long, and the rosters change composition by week 3 anyway, I cannot remember.  I do recall plenty of times we went 2 QB, and I think that is a wise roster move, if you can get away with it.

You talkin’ to me?  Haha, no worries man. I’m definitely not worried about anyone coming after me, especially on an internet board. If anything, I invite it as long as it’s done in good humor. We all need our insecurities jostled up a bit from time to time. 

I can’t recall keeping only 2 RBs but it’s possible. That’s a sure fire way to break the glass on emergency guys and pull DuJaun Harris off of the car lot or Samkon Gado out of med school. I do remember in ‘09 and ‘10 we kept 3 FBs. Those were the glory days. 

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

You talkin’ to me?  Haha, no worries man. I’m definitely not worried about anyone coming after me, especially on an internet board. If anything, I invite it as long as it’s done in good humor. We all need our insecurities jostled up a bit from time to time. 

I can’t recall keeping only 2 RBs but it’s possible. That’s a sure fire way to break the glass on emergency guys and pull DuJaun Harris off of the car lot or Samkon Gado out of med school. I do remember in ‘09 and ‘10 we kept 3 FBs. Those were the glory days. 

People, please come after me with a "good humor." 

Stick Bars

• Like 1

Wednesday, July 17 – Quarterbacks, rookies and injured players report

Friday, July 19 – Packers 1K Kids Run (kids 10 years old and younger), presented by Scheels, 6 p.m.

Saturday, July 20 – Packers 5K Run/Walk, presented by Bellin Health, Lambeau Field, 8 a.m.

Sunday, July 21 – Veteran players report

Monday, July 22 – First practice (10:30 a.m., Ray Nitschke Field) and Packers Annual Meeting of Shareholders (3 p.m., Lambeau Field)

Saturday, Aug. 3 – Family Night, presented by Bellin Health, Lambeau Field

Thursday, Aug. 22 – Last practice open to public (joint practice with Baltimore), 10:30 a.m., Ray Nitschke Field

Monday, July 22 10:30 a.m. First practice

Tuesday, July 23 10:30 a.m.

Wednesday, July 24 10:30 a.m.

Friday, July 26 10:30 a.m.

Saturday, July 27 10:30 a.m.

Sunday, July 28 10:30 a.m.

Tuesday, July 30 10:30 a.m.

Wednesday, July 31 10:30 a.m.

Thursday, Aug. 1 10:30 a.m.

Saturday, Aug. 3 7:30 p.m. Packers Family Night

Tuesday, Aug. 6 10:30 a.m.

Wednesday, Aug. 7 10:30 a.m.

Tuesday, Aug. 13 10:30 a.m.

Wednesday, Aug. 14 10:30 a.m.

Tuesday, Aug. 20 10:30 a.m.

Thursday, Aug. 22 10:30 a.m.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 1:33 PM, Brat&Beer said:

But now he has proven he's better than Patrick Taylor. He's a known. The other UDFA's are unknowns at the time. 

I don't get the hate for Wilson around here. 

On 6/13/2024 at 12:14 PM, skibrett15 said:

Team seems to have 4 WR2s with Watson/Reed just a smidge above Doubs/Wicks.  Is it odd for Wicks to be getting some STs reps?  I would hope someone like Heath can fill that role.

I wonder if Bo Melton might be a sneaky trade option.  Feel like he could be a WR3 on a lot of teams.  With such a stacked top 4 Idk if it makes a ton of sense to have a WR5 who can't play much special teams.

No chance I'm trading Melton with Watson's injury history. We still have Melton under contract for 2 more years I do believe. 

Next off season if all 5 of our top guys show they can play is when you MIGHT think about moving one of them.