2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap 

He's (Myers) not under contract next season, and if they are going to pay OL to stick around they likely start with Tom and Walker on the outside.

Maybe.  But I think GB is more likely to pay Myers to stay at C in 2025 vs paying both Walker and Tom to stay at T in 2026. 

Barring injury, I think most of us expect Tom to be extended heading into 2026.  Tom's next contract will not be cheap, and I'm assuming Tom will be prioritized ahead of Walker.  As the starting LT, will Walker sign a deal that's significantly below Tom's new contract?  I doubt it.  I expect Walker's agent will be playing the "LT is more valuable than RT" card, and it won't be a ridiculous argument.  If GB shuffles the OL to move Walker off LT, it means Walker is struggling and won't be part of the future, or GB is jerking him around, and he'll move on after 2025.  It also seems realistic for Morgan to slide outside next season and start competing at T.

In reality, the plan for the 2025 OL is still fluid.  A lot still depends on how 2024 plays out.  It's an interesting discussion because there are multiple ways it could realistically go.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

I wouldn't write off Goforth. The depth LB spots literally could be anybody. With Cooper and Hopper currently out he has lots of opportunity to make a case for himself. Also the new kickoff rules might play in his favour.

I don't think the Packers will want to risk losing Jennings and will keep him on the roster to ensure their long term interior depth. They didn't draft a guard and they specifically targeted him in UDFA by giving him a large signing bonus, more than any UDFA they paid the previous year. They met him at the Shrine game, Combine and Top 30 visit. It's safe to say they like him and probably won't give up on him this early. Its also worth noting that he had four top 30 visits and the Vikings were one of them so that is another reason to keep him on the roster.

The Packers tend to redshirt someone on the roster for a year, it's what they do. Jennings is a prime candidate for this.

I've just watched a pre-draft interview of him and wow. confident dude. He's articulate and very switched on. He comes across as very mature. A big dude with a personality like that who is well seasoned with lots of college games at LT under his belt with the size and movement skills to transition inside. I can see why the Packers pushed the boat out for him.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Maybe.  But I think GB is more likely to pay Myers to stay at C in 2025 vs paying both Walker and Tom to stay at T in 2026. 

Barring injury, I think most of us expect Tom to be extended heading into 2026.  Tom's next contract will not be cheap, and I'm assuming Tom will be prioritized ahead of Walker.  As the starting LT, will Walker sign a deal that's significantly below Tom's new contract?  I doubt it.  I expect Walker's agent will be playing the "LT is more valuable than RT" card, and it won't be a ridiculous argument.  If GB shuffles the OL to move Walker off LT, it means Walker is struggling and won't be part of the future, or GB is jerking him around, and he'll move on after 2025.  It also seems realistic for Morgan to slide outside next season and start competing at T.

In reality, the plan for the 2025 OL is still fluid.  A lot still depends on how 2024 plays out.  It's an interesting discussion because there are multiple ways it could realistically go.

You don’t let young, proven starting LT/RT’s hit free agency.  The packers will resign Walker if he proves to be the guy this season.  Tom is already a lock to be resigned.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I put the odds of GB retaining both Walker and Tom at less than 50%

Safe bet. I'd put the odds on them retaining Tom over Walker at about 85% right now. If both are healthy, I'd up that percentage to 92%.