2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

34 minutes ago, Chili said:

giphy.webp

Morgan?!!?

picard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gif

WTF did we use a 1st round pick for then?

I don't really get it either.  They seem to want him at RG these days.  I'm not sure he's now exclusive to guard or if he's still getting tackle reps as well.  Seems he was a solid option for the 3rd tackle gig when we drafted him.  Who knows maybe he's really the 3rd tackle when it comes down to it.  It's a mystery.  Dillard has some high end athletic skill, but has flopped on multiple occasions for other teams.

Morgan's fate is pretty simple;

-This is ideally going to be a redshirt type of year for him. Barring injuries, he's part of the depth at both Tackle and Guard, and gets to spend the season getting coached up in practice and learning the playbook. There's room for this kind of patient development, thanks to how well the OL unit seemed to coalesce during Love's ascension.
-His best chance to start will probably be at RG, and that's if management feels Rhyan's not ready for a full-time gig. It'd be fine; it's worthwhile experience(game-speed experience at that!) with a probable move to tackle in the future.
-It's doubtful he unseats Walker at LT, which probably says much less about him underachieving and more that Walker's solid enough to at least hold the fort for a season. Media will b*tch of course- remember that 7th Rounders need several seasons of consistent play before anyone big gives them the benefit of the doubt- but let 'em whine.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Assuming he does win this camp K competition, Carlson will be given a chance to sink or swim before Gute makes a move to replace him in the season.  I don't see any clearly better options, so no reason not to.  Carlson finding his mojo would be the best case all around.

You have to prove you have "mojo" in order to find it. I think we are assuming facts not in evidence. Carlson was a below average kicker in college and has remained exactly that. 

This isn't a "Mason Crosby bounce back because he's done it before" situation. Carlson might just not be a reliable kicker, just like he proved with the playoffs on the line last year in SF. 

25 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Morgan's fate is pretty simple;

-This is ideally going to be a redshirt type of year for him. Barring injuries, he's part of the depth at both Tackle and Guard, and gets to spend the season getting coached up in practice and learning the playbook. There's room for this kind of patient development, thanks to how well the OL unit seemed to coalesce during Love's ascension.
-His best chance to start will probably be at RG, and that's if management feels Rhyan's not ready for a full-time gig. It'd be fine; it's worthwhile experience(game-speed experience at that!) with a probable move to tackle in the future.
-It's doubtful he unseats Walker at LT, which probably says much less about him underachieving and more that Walker's solid enough to at least hold the fort for a season. Media will b*tch of course- remember that 7th Rounders need several seasons of consistent play before anyone big gives them the benefit of the doubt- but let 'em whine.

I think the Morgan situation is a combination of things. 

1. Walker is performing better than expectations and it does not look like Morgan has a chance of unseating him. This is a good thing.

2. Morgan looked pretty good at RG, then got hurt and Rhyan came on strong and possibly keeps that position. 

Either way we have six offensive linemen we can count on. No matter who starts the next person up is going to the loser of the Rhyan and Morgan battle. We might even see the two of them alternate like Rhyan and Runyan did last year. 

Seems fairly obvious Walker is the starting LT at this point though. 

56 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

You have to prove you have "mojo" in order to find it. I think we are assuming facts not in evidence. Carlson was a below average kicker in college and has remained exactly that. 

This isn't a "Mason Crosby bounce back because he's done it before" situation. Carlson might just not be a reliable kicker, just like he proved with the playoffs on the line last year in SF. 

I'm not sure how you are taking away that anything was being assumed about Carlson beyond that it looks like he is winning the K competition.

Carlson didn't prove anything by missing the kick vs SF other than he wasn't up to making that particular kick.

Edited by Mazrimiv

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Seems fairly obvious Walker is the starting LT at this point though. 

I mean, he didn't do anything last year that suggests he shouldn't be.  You draft Morgan both because one of the reasons that Walker fell in the draft was "maturity concerns" so you want to keep him hungry, and because the reason that you lost to SF last year, more than anything, was "tackle depth" since the offense stalled when Tom and Walker both tapped out.  Plus, the fact that Morgan can potentially play multiple spots on the OL is why you don't draft a "pure tackle" since that guy might be riding the pine all season in the best case scenario.

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Your post seems really pessimistic to me, but believe me, I DO VERY MUCH GET WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM.

I'll say this...I had zero faith in Stokes.  But after camp reports?  Seems like he could be back to form.  And if not, Valentine was serviceable last year and a little bigger this year.  Love that kids swagger.

JA is like glass.  But now he's got a new DC, I expect he will ball out.

Agree on Nixon, but wasn't last year his first year really getting real reps on defense?  For a first year starter, I thought he was okay.  And I very much feel like Bullard is going to push him for that spot.

So yeah, could be really good, could be meh.

I would be very pessimistic if we didn't have Bullard to cover up a wart or two at corner, if needed.  I'd be pounding the table for a veteran FA corner.

But he's the reason I feel better about the year.  Well, him and the ever smooth Evan Williams.  Digging those three additions to our secondary right now.

I'm typically pretty optimistic but am not there yet with that group. 

Really hope I'm wrong and I understand they could be a good unit if they bring out the best of each other.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I don't think there's any way to sugar coat it. It's a bit disappointing Morgan couldn't step up and clearly win that spot. 

Is he missing time for injury? That sucks if so. Hard enough as a rookie staying healthy.

It did sound like he was leading in that RG battle before he got injured before the first game. Think Rhyan just grabbed a hold of it while he was out. Hes put together a pretty strong couple weeks

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

It did sound like he was leading in that RG battle before he got injured before the first game. Think Rhyan just grabbed a hold of it while he was out. Hes put together a pretty strong couple weeks

Morgan has to turn it on soon to have a realistic shot at logging some snaps.  I think he might wind up in a platoon with Rhyan eventually.  

This rookie class has had its share of struggles. Too many injuries.  Let's hope they can get it going .. we really need this class to be a strong one to keep this roster on the upward swing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Morgan has to turn it on soon to have a realistic shot at logging some snaps.  I think he might wind up in a platoon with Rhyan eventually.  

This rookie class has had its share of struggles. Too many injuries.  Let's hope they can get it going .. we really need this class to be a strong one to keep this roster on the upward swing. 

Injuries aside, who are we down on in this class? Looks like from what we've seen the guys can play. 

The three safeties seem to be getting good reviews. Morgan was right on pace to start then got nicked up. Didn't hear anything negative about the two linebackers. Monk looks like he's got some things to work with, but not somebody we want to play much this year. 

Our only skilled guy, Lloyd, hasn't had much of a chance to due injury, but the reports the few days he was healthy were quite positive. 

Glover leaves some things to be desired for sure. Pratt need to learn another pitch besides a fastball but he's a 7th round rookie. The reviews on King has been mixed as well. 

Overall, way to early to decide, but seems like there is a lot there to work with. 

We just don't have guys at positions who are likely to flash as often as WRs and TEs. I'm optimistic about this group. 

• Like 1