Denver Broncos 2024 Draft Thread

3 hours ago, anewdawn said:

So agree with the bold AAA.  Fn Atlanta really messed things up.  If we could have traded down to get NIX we could have added a player or two and maybe some good ones.  I am kind of stunned though with regard to the serious praise Nix has received from the media.  I saw MJD rant on about him twice.  Bucky Brooks did the same as did Schraeger.  They were implying he may have a real good chance at doing really really good.  Again the season of hope brings just that and man those guys were being sincere so I hope it plays out like that.  Overall not a bad draft.

You’re right. I would give us a solid B for the draft. In a perfect world we could have gotten Nix what a trade down but I guess we didn’t receive many offers. Oh well. 

I have seen some national guys say good things about Nix like you mention, that gives me hope as the local media has been so sychofantical with Mahomes comps and we got our franchise QB and all this, it’s frankly been embarrassing. A lot these are same guys who were beside themselves we took PS2 over Justin Fields, we ballyhooing Paxton Lynch as a future HOF’r, and, one in particular, said that Mike McCoy and Jamaal Charles were going to get us back to the Super Bowl. So it’s hard to take the cheerleaders seriously. 

Again, we killed days 2 and 3 given what capital we had and the trade for JFM was superb. And Nix seems like a great guy, he’s going to work hard, be serious, give it his all and Sean was giddy to have drafted him so we’ll see. I still maintain that he’s a high floor/low ceiling guy and unless we can build a 49ers like roster around him, I see a QB who can make us relevant and a good bet to make the playoffs, but I don’t see a QB who can reach the elite level and make us a perennial SB contender. 

• Like 1

That Estime pick is a good one. On one hand it sucks because it signals the end of Javonte Williams in Denver Javonte just will never be the same post injury. Estime has good vision, and is a very patient runner.  He's also way more athletic than I thought there were 3 plays where he just leaped over a defender he also made some very nice catches. I was expecting Brandon Jacob's Jr. but he's got a higher ceiling than that imo.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

That Estime pick is a good one. On one hand it sucks because it signals the end of Javonte Williams in Denver Javonte just will never be the same post injury. Estime has good vision, and is a very patient runner.  He's also way more athletic than I thought there were 3 plays where he just leaped over a defender he also made some very nice catches. I was expecting Brandon Jacob's Jr. but he's got a higher ceiling than that imo.

Javonte will play out his contract this year. You need A LOT of bodies at RB. Unless he goes for 1200/10 or better we were going to move on anyway, it’s a RB. I don’t mean to sound callous but it’s the nature of the position. I’d draft a late round RB every year and sign a couple in UDFA to get guys used to the scheme and all that. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Javonte will play out his contract this year. You need A LOT of bodies at RB. Unless he goes for 1200/10 or better we were going to move on anyway, it’s a RB. I don’t mean to sound callous but it’s the nature of the position. I’d draft a late round RB every year and sign a couple in UDFA to get guys used to the scheme and all that. 

Same with OL but for a different reason. You can't re-sign everyone and will have to have a continuing pipeline of rookie talent available. Adding an OLineman every year like we've been doing will pay off, just as it will this year with letting Cush walk and counting on Wattenburg/Forsyth to fill the gap.

• Like 1

During and since Covid my wife’s family does Zoom trivia every Sunday evening.  Most are Bronco fans, but there’s a fraction that are Packer fans and a fraction that are Seahawk fans.  

Anyway, one of them had facts on Bo Nix and it was all about how great a person he was.  A Christian, married, got a masters degree, how Forsyth told the Denver staff he’s the smartest and most well respected player he’s been around.  One of the Packer fans piped up and said “that reminds me of how they tried to sell Tim Tebow.”

Now I think Nix is a far better prospect than Tebow was, but also there’s some truth in that. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

So Warner breaks down a bunch of game film on Nix and he basically said he needs a hitch in his drop back some times what is thatcnever heard of it?

I watched the same breakdown from Warner.  Basically he throws everything off his back foot and loses velocity and power.  When I played it was called a gather step.  I don’t really know how to explain it in words, but instead of hitting his drop and staying on his back foot he needs to do a quick “gather” or “hitch” so that he gets his shoulders aligned at the target and gains velocity. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, germ-x said:

I watched the same breakdown from Warner.  Basically he throws everything off his back foot and loses velocity and power.  When I played it was called a gather step.  I don’t really know how to explain it in words, but instead of hitting his drop and staying on his back foot he needs to do a quick “gather” or “hitch” so that he gets his shoulders aligned at the target and gains velocity. 

This was something I found concerning with Nix.  He kind of plays like he had Mahomes/Rodgers type talent.  The SEC shut that down, but he got away with it in the PAC 12.  

On 4/26/2024 at 4:32 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

But if anything that makes this pick even worse as I don't think Nix will be that colossal bust who completely crashes and burns and we end up 3-14 with a top-3 pick and get to start over with a new FO and coaching staff. I see a middle of the road starter and unless we have a roster like the 49ers - one with All Pros at literally every positional unit on the field - the team's ceiling with Nix is a middle of the road team. Remember 2016 - we had a very good HC in Kubiak, a championship culture and an all-time great defense. We went 9-7 with Trevor Siemian, who could do all the things Kubes wanted out of a QB. Sound familiar?

But what is this based on? Again, I come back to my post I made after the pick. Do any of us really know what his potential is? 

There have been enough QBs in NFL history that don't have elite physical traits but they have turned in amazing careers, so why are we putting a ceiling on the guy right now? If his physical traits are poor then I get it; my understanding is that isn't the case.

• Like 2

Blake Watson, the RB we picked up as a UDFA, is a better weapon for this team than Estime lol. I have no clue how he went undrafted. Wildly productive, excellent pass catcher with great speed. He's probably already better than McLaughlin. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Andrew Mason said 15 throws into the Eugene workout Sean Payton looked at George Paton and said we got our guy.

This stuff is ... painful. If that was the case, why on earth would we have just stood there at #12 and risked losing him? It's just not true and to be honest, quite patronising to think people would believe it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

But what is this based on? Again, I come back to my post I made after the pick. Do any of us really know what his potential is? 

There have been enough QBs in NFL history that don't have elite physical traits but they have turned in amazing careers, so why are we putting a ceiling on the guy right now? If his physical traits are poor then I get it; my understanding is that isn't the case.

This is what I’ve been saying. 

Average athletes with average arms can be great QB’s. We simply have no idea how good Nix’s processing skills will be at the highest level, and that will be the greatest factor in what kind of player he turns into. Give me +accuracy and +processing over +physical attributes every day and twice on Sunday.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2024 at 6:54 AM, 7DnBrnc53 said:

I know. This crappy FO doesn't seem to believe in winning up front. They only thing they did for the OL and DL this weekend was taking a seventh-round C and trading for a DE that is better in a 4-3 (what is their obsession with 4-3 DE's? I thought the Broncos played a 3-4).

…they paid big money for three players in the trenches last year. They had limited resources this year. They believe in it. 

• Like 5