2024 NFL Draft Round 1 Discussion Thread (NO SPOILERS)

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Well, according to Schefter had we not picked Daniels it would’ve been McCarthy. 

That’s……surprising.  I guess there was also a lot of McCarthy smokescreens and they just couldn’t trust they could land him with a trade down.  

At least we didn’t end up with Bo Nix. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That’s……surprising.  I guess there was also a lot of McCarthy smokescreens and they just couldn’t trust they could land him with a trade down.  

At least we didn’t end up with Bo Nix. 

I honestly feel it says more about how they felt about Maye than McCarthy. 

We'll see down the road if their evaluation proved to be correct. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

We didn't take the QB I would have take but Daniels isn't a bad player. Also we didn't have to give up resources to get him. On top of that we did what I wanted and stayed put in the 2nd round. I'm hoping we can land two superior guys here at the top of the 2nd, or hell maybe even consider a trade down. 

That’s another bright spot I hadn’t considered yet.  Much better than leveraging a whole future of picks for the guy.  

We are almost assured to have a top 10 pick next year, and I’d argue it might be top 5-6, and can help load up on help for him. 

8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I honestly think that this team is going to use most of their picks this year.  I know that there is a lot to be said for acquiring more future assets, and you MIGHT luck into a Bears situation where the pick you traded for just happens to end up being 1.1, but that is extremely rare.  

That said, we have enough picks this year to load up 20% of our gameday roster.  Six of those picks are in the first 100, and those are players that you would like to have starting, or at the very least contributing, early on in the season.  We signed enough players to 1-2 year deals to help establish a new culture.  I think they intend on making just about all of those draft picks.  

Could we see some maneuvering and recouping later picks?  Probably.  But I don’t see them moving off the earlier ones.  

Completely understand it. But I guess what I'm also asking is if you were Peters, what would it take for you to come off the #36 pick?

10 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Completely understand it. But I guess what I'm also asking is if you were Peters, what would it take for you to come off the #36 pick?

Probably a first next year with all of the talent still on the board.  Between the insane number of QBs taken early, and then reaches for WR and OT, there are a lot of “definite” 1st rounders in normal years still on the board, and even more borderline folks.  

Like @Slappy Mcsaid in another thread just now, I wouldn’t complain if we also packaged some of the other picks and traded further up into the second.  

40 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Probably a first next year with all of the talent still on the board.  Between the insane number of QBs taken early, and then reaches for WR and OT, there are a lot of “definite” 1st rounders in normal years still on the board, and even more borderline folks.  

Like @Slappy Mcsaid in another thread just now, I wouldn’t complain if we also packaged some of the other picks and traded further up into the second.  

Yea, but can you imagine dropping from 36 to say......50ish?

Staying put at #40 with our other one & netting another 3rd round pick to the 3 we already have?

I'd also like to net a 5th rounder in any trade down we make, since we don't have one.

You can land borderline day 2 prospects in the 5th Rd at times.

56 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I think unless your getting a 2 next year and their 2 this year you don’t really move that pick. I think if Mimms fell a few more spots we were moving up. I loved his tape and size but I’m actually kinda happy we didn’t sell early today for a guy with that level of starting. I think Paul is going to be one of these first two picks. I’m just curious if they go after a CB or WR with the other. Michigan Sanristil is the best defensive back in the class reguardless of position. I value Nickle more than most!! He’s a blue chip nickle and I hope they can add him here I think he’s a future all pro

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Yea, but can you imagine dropping from 36 to say......50ish?

Staying put at #40 with our other one & netting another 3rd round pick to the 3 we already have?

I'd also like to net a 5th rounder in any trade down we make, since we don't have one.

You can land borderline day 2 prospects in the 5th Rd at times.

You only move off 36 for their 2 next year and their Closest 2 this year buddy. You aren’t moving off a guy who’s probably a player who fell out of round 1 for a 3 this is a really premium pick both of these 2’s actually are prime value picks

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Still really good talent at the position available. Maybe we get a CB at the top of round 2. Also I would be on the phone with Mekhi Becton immediately. If we do miss on the top CBs, I think Gilmore is a good option on a 1-year deal.

I definitely agree. Were all on the same page about it. It's OT & CB. We need come out of this draft with a few I think. Also another young WR, preferably a tall one & TE.

Personally I hope we take a shot at Milton later in the draft. As a guy you can develop and maybe get capital for later down the line but is a good insurance policy to keep true to your scheme incase of injury

I also like the idea at Ladd McConkey as a chain mover and middle field saftey outlet for Jayden. I know he hasn’t had that but I believe it could be a good move for Jayden’s development. I know we need a bigger guy but I believe having that middle of the field weapon would be a huge thorn in the side trying to defend with the diverse skillset Jayden has if he works at it and takes those short quick plays to preserve himself