Who does Caleb Williams play style remind you of the most?

mdonnelly21

Who does Caleb Williams play style remind you of the most?   

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who does Caleb Williams play style remind you of the most?

• Aaron Rodgers
    • Patrick Mahomes

Stylistically, i guess it's Mahomes out of these choices.  There are definitely some similarities in that regard.  But there are plenty of other QBs and prospects out there through history that like to run around and improvise that way too.  The big "stylistic" and "functional" difference to me, is that Caleb seems very inclined to take off and look for the improvised play.  Abandoning the pocket and scheduled play frequently in favor of making up his own.  Which isn't really what Mahomes or AAron do.  They flip to improvisation mode once they're flushed from the pocket or when a play doesn't develop properly...not before.

Out of the two, Mahomes.

Rodgers and Mahomes have pretty similar arms in terms of being able to flick it on the move and having it land exactly where the defender can’t reach it along the sideline. But Rodgers was also risk averse and was much more willing to throw it away vs take the shot downfield, compared to Mahomes. Mahomes will take more risks. Plus Pat’s a good runner - so is Caleb.

That said, both have really innate QBing ability. Caleb has the physical talent but it remains to be seen whether or not he can play the way they play. I see more Kyler than Mahomes, unless things really really “click”.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Soko said:

Out of the two, Mahomes.

Rodgers and Mahomes have pretty similar arms in terms of being able to flick it on the move and having it land exactly where the defender can’t reach it along the sideline. But Rodgers was also risk averse and was much more willing to throw it away vs take the shot downfield, compared to Mahomes. Mahomes will take more risks. Plus Pat’s a good runner - so is Caleb.

That said, both have really innate QBing ability. Caleb has the physical talent but it remains to be seen whether or not he can play the way they play. I see more Kyler than Mahomes, unless things really really “click”.

Yeah.  Taller Kyler Murray is the comp i like to go with.  I think it fits both stylistically, and in terms of broadly defining his realistic "upside".

Same sort of "electric" penchant for inventing "unique" plays on the fly.  Both of them seem to take great pride in it and are quick to jump there at the drop of a hat.  As though just plodding away on schedule is "boring" and "mundane".  Both have a lot of talent in doing so.  But unless you somehow redefine the fabric of the guy as a QB...you're going to have to be okay with your offense being a bit of scrambled eggs, compared to whatever you drew up.

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  Taller Kyler Murray is the comp i like to go with.  I think it fits both stylistically, and in terms of broadly defining his realistic "upside".

Same sort of "electric" penchant for inventing "unique" plays on the fly.  Both of them seem to take great pride in it and are quick to jump there at the drop of a hat.  As though just plodding away on schedule is "boring" and "mundane".  Both have a lot of talent in doing so.  But unless you somehow redefine the fabric of the guy as a QB...you're going to have to be okay with your offense being a bit of scrambled eggs, compared to whatever you drew up.

I’ll add that I think Caleb will be a lot more cerebral with better field vision than Kyler has been. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a more inept “good” QB  worse than Kyler Murray in the red zone. I think he’ll be more in-between Murray/Mahomes than Mahomes/Rodgers, stylistically.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Soko said:

I’ll add that I think Caleb will be a lot more cerebral with better field vision than Kyler has been. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a more inept “good” QB  worse than Kyler Murray in the red zone. I think he’ll be more in-between Murray/Mahomes than Mahomes/Rodgers, stylistically.

Yeah.  He's basically a "bigger, smarter, rich man's Kyler Murray" to me.  Which...could be a darn good QB.  Or frustrating.  Or anything in between.