2024 Round 1, Pick 2: QB Jayden Daniels, LSU

7 hours ago, offbyone said:

You are no doubt right.  It is a bit of a stunner.  It's a tough one when he is such an integral part of the team and you hoped to root for someone else.  It is very interesting that the majority of the board bucked the trend of the national media who called for Daniels as undeniable #2.  We will have to see if the board was right or the media.

Personally, I am more interested in a pass first offense that is more about the rest of the players than the qb.  You don't get that with Daniels.  I think things are going to be a lot different for Daniels in the nfl when his receivers aren't levels above the defense.  It will be interesting to see if Kingsbury goes with a gimmicky offense or not.  I doubt we are going to see that beautiful deep ball of his all that much with a Kingsbury offense and lower WR talent (compared to defense) and of course less time to throw.

I hope he can stay healthy.  That is of course the key and biggest risk.

According to Schefter, if we didn’t go Daniels, it was going to be McCarthy.  It’s possible that Maye wasn’t in their top 3.  

This tells me a couple things. 

1.) The trade offers to move back were not enough to bypass Daniels, or they couldn’t guarantee that they could pick McCarthy in them.  

2.) They really weren’t sold on Drake Maye 

Part of why I’m down on this is that I know our franchise has been terrible for so long, and we’ve joked that we can’t have nice things.  Daniels has gotten a lot of comps to Lamar Jackson, and I just don’t see the frame holding up.  Also, knowing we can’t have nice things, I can’t help but see a catastrophic injury in my crystal ball.  There’s also some concerning things that I’ve noticed about his character.  How his agent was up in arms about the Top Golf thing, and it’s been an entire off-season where he has seemed to not want to come here.  How he showed up to the Heisman award show in a jacket that featured himself.  I just am not sure he’s demonstrated that he’s going to be able to lead a team of folks at the next level.  

This is also a kid who just rocketed up the boards from late round pick/undrafted to #2 overall.  Is he a product of a superior LSU recruiting team in the SEC?  Can he stick it against better competition all around?  Can the coaches fix his mechanical faults?  I will say that he has a ton of starting experience, that is a plus.  But it just seems that we took the dynamic playmaker, with an arm that’s “good enough” and we’re going to do a bunch of RPO and “1 read and stuff it” type of thing, and I just don’t see the longevity in it.  

I hope I’m wrong and we have a Russell Wilson type QB who sticks around for a decade and can win us a Super Bowl.  But I can’t help but feel we’re going to be capped with Daniels here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

According to Schefter, if we didn’t go Daniels, it was going to be McCarthy.  It’s possible that Maye wasn’t in their top 3.  

This tells me a couple things. 

1.) The trade offers to move back were not enough to bypass Daniels, or they couldn’t guarantee that they could pick McCarthy in them.  

2.) They really weren’t sold on Drake Maye 

Part of why I’m down on this is that I know our franchise has been terrible for so long, and we’ve joked that we can’t have nice things.  Daniels has gotten a lot of comps to Lamar Jackson, and I just don’t see the frame holding up.  Also, knowing we can’t have nice things, I can’t help but see a catastrophic injury in my crystal ball.  There’s also some concerning things that I’ve noticed about his character.  How his agent was up in arms about the Top Golf thing, and it’s been an entire off-season where he has seemed to not want to come here.  How he showed up to the Heisman award show in a jacket that featured himself.  I just am not sure he’s demonstrated that he’s going to be able to lead a team of folks at the next level.  

This is also a kid who just rocketed up the boards from late round pick/undrafted to #2 overall.  Is he a product of a superior LSU recruiting team in the SEC?  Can he stick it against better competition all around?  Can the coaches fix his mechanical faults?  I will say that he has a ton of starting experience, that is a plus.  But it just seems that we took the dynamic playmaker, with an arm that’s “good enough” and we’re going to do a bunch of RPO and “1 read and stuff it” type of thing, and I just don’t see the longevity in it.  

I hope I’m wrong and we have a Russell Wilson type QB who sticks around for a decade and can win us a Super Bowl.  But I can’t help but feel we’re going to be capped with Daniels here. 

I think we are underselling LSUs offensive scheme.

We are also underselling that year over year mostly he's gotten better. I have no reason to believe that he cannot be coached that he's not up for criticism. I will say his delivery is absolute butter. It just looks so good. I've got no question about the arm strength really either.

Maye wasn't going to be our guy. I've accepted that. But I think we need to get behind Jayden here.

• Like 1

Double posting this because it's specific to Jayden. Lots of quotes to be taken from this.

A few things I really liked about Adam Peters process, he didn't stop at LSU's coaches and players, he talked to all the staff and people off the field. He talked to Arizona State staff and personnel. He talked to his High School staff and personnel. 

He also mentions again that he didn't really scout any of the QBs during last season and then when delving into ALL of Jaydens tape, he and the staff were sure he was the guy. "Best deep ball in the draft." His footwork and processing/reading defenses is really good. 

Drink the cool-aid or don't, seems like Adam and the entire team were sold this guy is the future. 

Spoiler

Please don't get hurt. I can't handle another running QB's career getting cut short because they can't get down or out of bounds. 

• Like 1

Can we create a go fund me to send Jayden Daniels to the Nationals for a week to learn how to properly slide? 

I am excited to watch him play though, just hope he doesn't take some of those hits he took in college. 

Edited by Umbaugh21
  • Like 1

We talked about this guy ad nauseum already. I don't know if I have much more to add. I think I will just double down on this: he's going to be exciting. We're going to have some very cool plays. We're going to be more competitive this year than we originally thought, and that's exciting. Let's look forward to the rest of the draft and see what we build around Jayden. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

We talked about this guy ad nauseum already. I don't know if I have much more to add. I think I will just double down on this: he's going to be exciting. We're going to have some very cool plays. We're going to be more competitive this year than we originally thought, and that's exciting. Let's look forward to the rest of the draft and see what we build around Jayden. 

40 time faster than RG3.. He's run a 4.32 yeowzy !! He will be fun to watch. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

My favorite part about this pick is that I hopefully won't have to see Marcus Mariota play any snaps. 

I'd be SHOCKED if Jayden wasn't the Game 1 starter. He's as ready as Williams and Penix. 

• Like 1

2. Washington Commanders -- Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU

Why they picked him: It is not just because Daniels is more prepared to make an early impact than the others. It is because he can still develop while having a skill set -- the ability to outrun defenders and make them miss -- that the other quarterbacks do not possess at the same level. Commanders coach Dan Quinn said before the draft he likes how quickly Daniels gets through his progressions in the pocket and can adjust to coverage changes after the snap. Daniels also was the most accurate passer in the NCAA last season on throws of 20 air yards or more, completing 66.7% with 22 touchdowns. And then there are his legs: Daniels ran for 1,134 yards last season and was second among quarterbacks with 20 gains of 20 or more yards. He is a dynamic threat.

Biggest question: Durability. Daniels has a narrow frame and weighed 210 pounds at his pro day. He also had a penchant for taking big hits in college -- he once hurdled the middle of the line on a scramble against Florida State and was drilled backwards to the ground. He will have to learn when he must give up on a run and slide, or when he needs to throw the ball out of bounds to avoid a sack. Washington fans saw what happened to a potential long-term answer at QB when another dual-threat quarterback -- Robert Griffin III -- was injured. They do not want a repeat. -- John Keim

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/story/_/page/prosconsdraft24/2024-nfl-draft-live-updates-pros-cons-every-first-round-pick

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I only added the hopefully because I too worry about Jaydens durability. 

20ft Advertising Inflatable Tube Man Blow Up Giant Waving Arm Fly Puppet  Christmas Halloween Decorative Signs for Business Store Party Club-Designed  ...

He's like one of these things. hard to line up to hit. He'll be fine 🙏

• Like 1