2024 Round 1, Pick 2: QB Jayden Daniels, LSU

23 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Except he said had he been in the same situation he would've picked Daniels as well and kept Howell as the backup...

You must be reading a differnt article. I just reread it and I don't see that . I do see the writer says -- "Most teams would have traded Howell and taken Daniels" . I see no mention of Howell as a back up . MikeT14- you could be right for sure-maybe there no haul to be had . AND if we'd kept Howell teams would have maybe assumed we weren't going Q B round 1 further decreasing any said haul .

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/30/mike-lombardi-says-hed-rather-have-sam-howell-than-jayden-daniels-commanders/

16 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

MikeT14- you could be right for sure-maybe there no haul to be had . AND if we'd kept Howell teams would have maybe assumed we weren't going Q B round 1 further decreasing any said haul .

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/30/mike-lombardi-says-hed-rather-have-sam-howell-than-jayden-daniels-commanders/

I think we did exactly what we had to do. Stand pat on staying at pick 2 and pick the best quarterback available in the eyes of the team. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Mike Lombardi says we should have kept Sam Howell and traded the pick for a haul. I would really like to see what Howell could have done with competent coaching and an OLine . Did J P outsmart himself by tading S H ? Time will be the judge. As for me- Yes , I'm with Lombardi .

I said this the whole time. Unfortunately, the offers that came in weren't high enough to quantify "a haul". I think the reported Minnesota trade offer was 11, 23 and 2025 1st for 3 AND two 3rd day picks. That's not a haul worth moving for IMO.

Hindsight is always going to be 20/20, but as soon as Howell was traded, drafting a QB at 2 was a lock.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I think we did exactly what we had to do. Stand pat on staying at pick 2 and pick the best quarterback available in the eyes of the team. 

Yes, BECAUSE we traded Howell.. Locked us in at that point. 

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

We traded Howell because we were doing exactly what we needed to do with pick 2 

We're going in circles. I'm sticking with we should have kept Howell and traded ...IF... the haul was enough. It would be great to have Howell a 10 year left tackle and an edge rusher ! Plus future picks.

7 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

We're going in circles. I'm sticking with we should have kept Howell and traded ...IF... the haul was enough. It would be great to have Howell a 10 year left tackle and an edge rusher ! Plus future picks.

Seems that the most we would have gotten was one 1st round pick in 2025 from either the Giants or the Vikings. Again, there was no way to foresee that before the draft, but I'm not sold on the "value" there. If we kept Howell, seeing the offers, I would probably still draft a QB. 

Going from 2 to 11 and 23 was too big of a drop IMO and Minn wanted day 3 picks in return. NYG offered 6 and 2025 1 for 3 and that was probably the best offer, but I'm not helping the Giants get their QBotF either. 

All-in-all, I think the right decision was made. (Minus signing Mariota and trading Howell)

• Like 1

To be fair, Jayden Daniels represents the most upside we've had at the QB position since RG3. I still have a hard time believing that after 43 starts the lightbulb went on and I'm horrified we bought at the height of his play but he still has a ton of ability. I love Howell but I don't think he can do what Daniels can do to a defense. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Seems that the most we would have gotten was one 1st round pick in 2025 from either the Giants or the Vikings. Again, there was no way to foresee that before the draft, but I'm not sold on the "value" there. If we kept Howell, seeing the offers, I would probably still draft a QB. 

Going from 2 to 11 and 23 was too big of a drop IMO and Minn wanted day 3 picks in return. NYG offered 6 and 2025 1 for 3 and that was probably the best offer, but I'm not helping the Giants get their QBotF either. 

All-in-all, I think the right decision was made. (Minus signing Mariota and trading Howell)

To me if they had a guy rated on their board as a franchise qb then you don't even think about trading the pick even if it is for someone like McCarthy who you believe you can pick up a handful of picks later.  We should have only be seriously thinking about offers if we didn't have one of these guys rated as a franchise qb.  Honestly, if they were seriously listening to trade offers it would make me even more skeptical about Daniels.

Now if I go back to fantasy land....I definitely agree that 11 & 23 weren't enough but heck if we got 11 and 23 we could have got at 11)Bowers/Fuaga and 23)Arnold/Thomas/Barton.  Pretty darn good players.  

Personally, I saw what I needed to of Howell.  He got a full year on the bench and then a full year of getting every rep and full support of team.  Maybe the offensive coordinator stunk up the field, but Howell also basically showed the same exact concerns he had in college.  He would be an awesome back up, but he wasn't the guy and sometimes I think these changes are change for the sake of change when you have a new staff.  Similar to Curl.

Yes, the Mariota signing still chaps my hide.  Seriously, you couldn't find anyone else?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

To be fair, Jayden Daniels represents the most upside we've had at the QB position since RG3. I still have a hard time believing that after 43 starts the lightbulb went on and I'm horrified we bought at the height of his play but he still has a ton of ability. I love Howell but I don't think he can do what Daniels can do to a defense. 

I get the worries, but I think it is slightly overblown. As an ASU fan I watched him a lot early on. He was extremely hyped his freshman year and he did have some highlight level plays, but he also made a ton of mistakes. He was also playing on a very stacked team in 2019 that did not live up to expectations(in large part because of his play but he was a freshman). The issue was after 2019 ASU just got worse and COVID essentially killed the PAC. He went from a talented kid in a great situation to being a more experienced player in a pretty bad one. He didn't elevate the team... but he also was inarguably in a bad situation.

Daniels was up and down in 2022 at LSU as well... but he was so up in 2023 that it is hard to hold the downs against him. 

I personally was a Drake Maye fan, but I think Jayden definitely has the talent to become a good NFL QB. His legs are a legit weapon. He can run by people. This will help him early on in his career slowing defenses down and should let him get used to the speed of the game. The main thing I worry about is your guys OL not holding up. If he is consistently running for his life or taking too many hits... that would be very bad. I do think you guys have enough talent at the skill positions that he shouldn't be struggling due to guys being unable to produce so that helps a lot.

Basically my point is: His growth wasn't linear, but that isn't entirely his fault either. He always had talent he just had to be in the right situation to have it realized. I don't think that should be a knock on him in the way it can be for a lot of players.

• Like 4

I’m excited too see this kid grow!!! A ton of reports about him coming in to facilities at 5:30 and staying so late!!! All the things I loved about JJ off the field it seems he has!! I’m excited to see this guy in person come camp!!! Just put his locker between Jahan and Terry

12 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I’m excited too see this kid grow!!! A ton of reports about him coming in to facilities at 5:30 and staying so late!!! All the things I loved about JJ off the field it seems he has!! I’m excited to see this guy in person come camp!!! Just put his locker between Jahan and Terry

The main growth I want to see from Jayden is patience in the pocket, patience going through his progressions and protecting himself by not taking big hits, learning to slide & running out of bounds instead of getting an extra few yards and making him susceptible to a big hit.

If he does those things we may get what we thought we were getting out of RG3 in 2012 until his knee injury.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40057487/why-commanders-drafted-jayden-daniels-no-2-overall 

Many in the organization had expected they would select LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels. But nobody knew for certain. And now, after telling members of the ownership group separately earlier in the day, Peters made it official.

He told them, according to one person in the room, they are getting a "young man who loves football" that would help them "change this franchise forever."

Then, according to the source, Peters finally said: "We're going with Jayden."

The room erupted with cheers, clapping and high fives.

"It was like a room of joy," said a person who was there. "It put everybody at ease."

----

But Daniels -- due in part to his experience, polish, resilience and game-changing ability -- became the organization's top pick early in their evaluations and never lost ground as Peters & Co. finished out the process.

They needed to make sure they had the right guy. In the end, their process led them back to where they began: Daniels.

"We knew it was Jayden for a while," Peters said. "It would have taken a lot for it to not be Jayden. The whole building I would say was unanimous on that one. It's easy to see why."

ALL ALONG, MULTIPLE sources said Daniels was the guy with whom they were smitten. Someone needed to knock him off the mountaintop; no one did.

"The way he can process, the way he can see the field, the way he goes through his reads, the way he delivers [the ball] on time. He's the best deep ball thrower in the draft," Peters said, "and that's even before we start watching him run and the way he runs he just takes your soul as a defense. You think you got him and then all of a sudden, he rips off a 40-yard run. And this is against the SEC, the best of the best."

Peters said Washington never considered trading back in the draft, though he later told Big 100 Radio in Washington that they only received one offer and "it didn't move the needle." But even though all signs pointed to drafting Daniels, Peters was determined to finish the evaluation process -- just in case.