2024 Round 1, Pick 2: QB Jayden Daniels, LSU

On 5/4/2024 at 11:14 AM, Troublez said:

lol, A freshly drafted superstar excited to fulfill his boyhood dream is cringe? 

Your looking for reasons to criticize with that statement. Some of your other points are valid, but I think ur grinding an axe here my friend.

That’s probably fair. I guess it would be hard to judge the situation without being there — what I’m picturing is a grown man doing a little show for his mom and his aunts and uncles in the aisles. 

For reference, this is the image I have. When I was a kid, one time my cousins and I found some old clothes at my grandmother’s house that we thought looked like what the Beatles would have worn. And so we all put them on and made fake instruments out of cardboard and got the Beatles CD all cued up — and we put on a lip sync show that all of our family was forced (by my grandmother) to watch. Not just one song, somewhere between “several” and “many” songs. And God bless my mom and aunts, they were all clapping and cheering the whole time, ooh-ing and aah-ing, telling us how wonderful we were (“even better than the real thing”) and how handsome and talented and whatever else. But I can only assume everyone else was just dying a slow and painful death on the inside.

We were like 8 years old. It’s a little less cute if a 23-year-old man is doing it, and  it wasn’t that cute on us to start with 😂 But perhaps it was just an innocent thing where he was really excited, and everyone else was just going about their business while he was playing around. Which, as you say, would be totally fine, if still a little childish. I just hope it wasn’t the sort of thing where his battle axe of a mother was making everyone watch (and making him put on) the “Jayden Show” in the aisles. 

• Like 1

@e16bball I think you're reading way too much into it and John Keim is also making it a bigger deal that it really is too, the other way. It's just a guy having fun with his family and friends, what's the harm in that?

On the flip side, if he already knows some of the stuff the C’s run in their office like Keim eludes to, how can that not be seen by anything other than a good thing?

To me that means Daniels is already learning our playbook.

On 5/4/2024 at 11:14 AM, Troublez said:

For the record, I don't have a problem with the HCoach being involved in the process, as I think the success of a rookie QB is highly dependent on the marriage between the system and the player. As long as Peter's has the ultimate say - that's all that matters. 

I’m 100% cool with the player and system being married — more than 100%, if that’s possible, which is why I desperately wanted an offensive coach when it became clear we’d be in position to draft a QB.

But we didn’t get one. Which is okay, if less than ideal, because I’m cool with Quinn. My concern is that he’s not a trained player evaluator and he’s not an offensive coach and he’s (hopefully) not going to have much input on the offense — and yet he sure seemed like an awfully loud voice in the process.

The problem there, for me, is that I think HCs have a different incentive structure than GMs (and fans). The GM will always get the longer leash, so they can have more freedom to focus on the big picture — which is what I, as a fan, am focused on. I’m not that pressed about the record in 2024 or 2025, I want the best overall outcome for the next 15 years. That’s what I want the team to want also. 

Coaches are the ones whose jobs are at stake if things start out rough. If the team goes 9-25 over the next two seasons, that could very well be the end of DQ’s career as an NFL HC — a super high ceiling on a QB means nothing to a HC if there’s a risk he’ll be gone by the time things click. Like with Jeff Fisher. They draft Goff, terrible first season, Fisher gets canned, and McVay comes in to save the day. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 2:38 PM, e16bball said:

I’m 100% cool with the player and system being married — more than 100%, if that’s possible, which is why I desperately wanted an offensive coach when it became clear we’d be in position to draft a QB.

But we didn’t get one. Which is okay, if less than ideal, because I’m cool with Quinn. My concern is that he’s not a trained player evaluator and he’s not an offensive coach and he’s (hopefully) not going to have much input on the offense — and yet he sure seemed like an awfully loud voice in the process.

The problem there, for me, is that I think HCs have a different incentive structure than GMs (and fans). The GM will always get the longer leash, so they can have more freedom to focus on the big picture — which is what I, as a fan, am focused on. I’m not that pressed about the record in 2024 or 2025, I want the best overall outcome for the next 15 years. That’s what I want the team to want also. 

Coaches are the ones whose jobs are at stake if things start out rough. If the team goes 9-25 over the next two seasons, that could very well be the end of DQ’s career as an NFL HC — a super high ceiling on a QB means nothing to a HC if there’s a risk he’ll be gone by the time things click. Like with Jeff Fisher. They draft Goff, terrible first season, Fisher gets canned, and McVay comes in to save the day. 

Quinn is a loud personality which, Peters is not. But, Peters made this decision. Quinn saying why he likes Daniels doesn't mean that Peters didn't make the decision. And even for me who wanted Maye for what he might be in 3 or 4 years liked Jayden Daniels for what he is now. My only fear about Daniels is that he might play recklessly while running like RG3. I think he's a better pocket passer than RG3 & Lamar coming out, so that's a positive.

If Peters & Kingsbury wanted Daniels and by all accounts they did then I’m cool with it and hope it works.

Edited by turtle28

A bit off-topic, but I’d like to see us target Jalon Daniels from Kansas as a potential backup for Jayden.

The obvious appeal is having two QBs with virtually identical names.

Beneath the surface, though, he’s a kid who reminds me a lot of Jayden — kind of an average-ish arm, pretty accurate, dangerous runner, excellent ballsmanship (as RGIII calls it). Much shorter, thicker build and a lot more serious injury history. Probably better at making plays outside the pocket in the passing game. 

If you’re going to have a QB like we now do, I think the best approach is to have backup who can do a lot of the same things. Having some guy in the Jake Fromm mold (typical no arm, middling athleticism, high IQ backup) means that if you lose Jayden, you lose the entire offensive identity. I’m not sure if Jalon will fall into range to be taken as a long-term backup — if he can stay healthy, he could be a huge riser — but I think having a backup with that skillset would be the best option for us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

A bit off-topic, but I’d like to see us target Jalon Daniels from Kansas as a potential backup for Jayden.

Beneath the surface, though, he’s a kid who reminds me a lot of Jayden — kind of an average-ish arm, pretty accurate, dangerous runner, excellent ballsmanship (as RGIII calls it). Much shorter, thicker build and a lot more serious injury history. Probably better at making plays outside the pocket in the passing game. 

If you’re going to have a QB like we now do, I think the best approach is to have backup who can do a lot of the same things. Having some guy in the Jake Fromm mold (typical no arm, middling athleticism, high IQ backup) means that if you lose Jayden, you lose the entire offensive identity. I’m not sure if Jalon will fall into range to be taken as a long-term backup — if he can stay healthy, he could be a huge riser — but I think having a backup with that skillset would be the best option for us.

Isn't tthat why we signed M M .. Similar style to J D ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

And Hartman, right? 

This staff basically put a billboard up saying they will have a dual threat offense.  When Daniels gets hurt, we can just sub in Mariota.  When he gets hurt, we just sub in Hartman.  Even Driskel is a dual threat kind of player.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I think that’s probably a big part of it.

I would think maybe in the next draft or two, they’ll probably look at a longer-term solution to that backup QB spot — someone who essentially can learn behind Jayden and try to develop into a pretty good facsimile of him. Kinda like what the Ravens did with the kid Huntley who backed up Lamar for the last few years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

I actually completely agree basically how the ravens had snoop behind Lamar trying too keep a similar set. The Kansas QB has the most wonky release ever but he actually does really well it’s almost frustrating to watch but it works for him

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I think that’s probably a big part of it.

I would think maybe in the next draft or two, they’ll probably look at a longer-term solution to that backup QB spot — someone who essentially can learn behind Jayden and try to develop into a pretty good facsimile of him. Kinda like what the Ravens did with the kid Huntley who backed up Lamar for the last few years.

And before they had Huntley, they had RG3 as Lamar’s backup in I believe his 2nd & 3rd seasons. If Mariota doesn't prove to be a good enough mentor/backup to Jayden this year, I absolutely think they'll take a mid to late round athletic QB to be his backup next year.

Edited by turtle28

49 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Florio can put "we aren't snitching" in the article all he wants, they're doing it. He does this constantly. He uses his platform to try and get players in trouble. And yes, ultimately this is on the two of them but they're young and have a friendly wager between themselves. Yes its wrong and the league should talk to them about it but Florio has turned into such a giant tool bag. He uses his site as a weapon and to further his own political agenda. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

if we haven't had the rookie symposium yet, and neither have signed contracts, it's probably a nothing burger outside of telling them to knock it off. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40113124/jayden-daniels-malik-nabers-10k-offensive-roy-bet

Yeah, they literally cannot state these things publicly if they are happening. Someone needs to be in both of their ears to curb this.

3 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40113124/jayden-daniels-malik-nabers-10k-offensive-roy-bet

Yeah, they literally cannot state these things publicly if they are happening. Someone needs to be in both of their ears to curb this.

I get that. Article almost spits out exactly what I said.

However, there's a good chance the bet doesn't happen. One team source said the education for rookies on the gambling policy will take place during their rookie minicamp, which begins Thursday with orientation sessions. The bet could end up being cancelled afterward.

• Like 1