How good do you expect Rome to be?

mdonnelly21

3 hours ago, mdonnelly21 said:

As a Bears fan I really wanted Malik. 

However I’m pretty happy with Rome who will be going up against 3rd string Corners! 

I'm excited for him. I don't think he will top 1000 yards his rookie year or anything, but that is more due to passing volume than anything. Bears aren't suddenly going to pass like Bienemy is calling plays, and Moore and Allen are clear cut top dogs.

That being said, if he leads the team in receiving TDs I wouldn't be too shocked. Like you said he is going against a lot of CB3 players, so that is a massive afavantage. I imagine safeties will be over the top for Allen primarily and if someone else is getting doubled it would be Moore, so Odunze (or Kmet) should feast.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'm excited for him. I don't think he will top 1000 yards his rookie year or anything, but that is more due to passing volume than anything. Bears aren't suddenly going to pass like Bienemy is calling plays, and Moore and Allen are clear cut top dogs.

That being said, if he leads the team in receiving TDs I wouldn't be too shocked. Like you said he is going against a lot of CB3 players, so that is a massive afavantage. I imagine safeties will be over the top for Allen primarily and if someone else is getting doubled it would be Moore, so Odunze (or Kmet) should feast.

I expect Rome will be on the outside for the majority of his reps with Allen in the slot. Odunze is a prototypical X receiver. 

10 hours ago, mdonnelly21 said:

As a Bears fan I really wanted Malik. 

However I’m pretty happy with Rome who will be going up against 3rd string Corners! 

Well he wasn’t there was he?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I expect Rome will be on the outside for the majority of his reps with Allen in the slot. Odunze is a prototypical X receiver. 

True, he likely will be. Allen plays all over even though he seemingly gets pigeonholed as a "slot only" guy, and I would like to see Moore at the Z as well. But it will be interesting to see how Waldron uses them. Three WRs who have a ton of ability, two good TEs that are more than just dump off guys, and a solid RB group.

Dude has to be skipping around today.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Ill say this, I already know fans expectations for Rome's 2024 is going to be way too high. I know you just said he wont get 1000 yards, but the fact that 1000 yards is even being thrown into conversation for a Rookie WR3 is kind of ludicrous

He at the very best is going to be the #3 option in a brand new offense for everyone. He may actually be option 4 or 5 for most plays we run. This is absolutely a pick more for the rest of their (Caleb/Rome) careers. But for this year, Im hoping to see some things more than I am worries about his numbers. I want him improve on the things that coukd hold him back, starting with his get off of the jam at the line and turning his college routes to crisp NFL routes. 

If we are talking about his actual stats, Id hope were talking about 40ish catches for 500+ yards with a handful or so TDs. I know thats not sexy for your #9 overall pick out the gate, but remember he is clearly WR3, and those are pretty solid numbers in that situation, especially on a team that often forgot about the Forward Pass the past two seasons.

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ill say this, I already know fans expectations for Rome's 2024 is going to be way too high. I know you just said he wont get 1000 yards, but the fact that 1000 yards is even being thrown into conversation for a Rookie WR3 is kind of ludicrous

He at the very best is going to be the #3 option in a brand new offense for everyone. He may actually be option 4 or 5 for most plays we run. This is absolutely a pick more for the rest of their (Caleb/Rome) careers. But for this year, Im hoping to see some things more than I am worries about his numbers. I want him improve on the things that coukd hold him back, starting with his get off of the jam at the line and turning his college routes to crisp NFL routes. 

If we are talking about his actual stats, Id hope were talking about 40ish catches for 500+ yards with a handful or so TDs. I know thats not sexy for your #9 overall pick out the gate, but remember he is clearly WR3, and those are pretty solid numbers in that situation, especially on a team that often forgot about the Forward Pass the past two seasons.

Agreed. Part of the reason the 1000 yards gets thrown around is the recent rookie performances that are being seen. There has been at least one per year since 2019 and Odunze is a better prospect than all of them except Chase IMO. Even Pitts was able to get that mark his rookie year. But like we said, Odunze will at best be WR3 this year (barring injury) and at least briefly may be the 4th or 5th option. Kmet is going to get his targets and Waldron likely uses Swift heavily to keep Williams from taking as many shots. I'm actually guessing around 60 catches and over 650 yards. 

I do love that his weakest points are some of the strengths of Moore and Allen though. I don't know a ton about the WR Beatty but I know there were 3 WRs in PIT that went over 1000 yards (Juju, Dionte, and Claypool, and with Rudolph and Hodges being the primary QBs) and then for LAC he worked with Allen and Williams, so I hope he sees what makes some of those guys perform well and helps develop Rome. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DABEARSLCF04 said:

I don't know why buy I have Kevin White vibes with Rome. 

Its absolutely a concern. I said it many times this past month, this type of WR profile busts way more than you want to see historically.

But then again, they arent forcing him to the the Top or even worse Only weapon.

Theres a reason that Rome was clearly the #3 WR (regardless of the draft scuttlebutt the last 3 weeks), and Why I still think he has been overhyped by alot of people. I think he is still a great draft prospect, but to me he is not elite

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DABEARSLCF04 said:

Im glad yall seem to be happy for the pic. 

I don't know why buy I have Kevin White vibes with Rome. 

Im wrong alot so ill go with that.

No way romes a different breed.
wasn't kevin white a one year wonder in college? Also I believe kevin whites route tree was way more limited than odunze. Honestly he gives me dj moore vibes

Edited by Thegurubear