1.17 - Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama - #15

it's cool that you guys are so stoked to have Turner on board and feel he can really shine.

i paid no attention to him during the pre Draft months because i didn't see any way he end up with us. like 100 other mockers out there, i figured Atlanta would be smart enough to take him at 8.

but i guess they had another idea instead...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

it's cool that you guys are so stoked to have Turner on board and feel he can really shine.

i paid no attention to him during the pre Draft months because i didn't see any way he end up with us. like 100 other mockers out there, i figured Atlanta would be smart enough to take him at 8.

but i guess they had another idea instead...

100% - I thought we would certainly have to trade up for McCarthy. My pipe dream scenarios had us grabbing Penix Jr at 11 and getting Johnny Newton at 23. So for us to come away with McCarthy and Turner is an A+ first round

• Like 4

2 hours ago, viking said:

100% - I thought we would certainly have to trade up for McCarthy. My pipe dream scenarios had us grabbing Penix Jr at 11 and getting Johnny Newton at 23. So for us to come away with McCarthy and Turner is an A+ first round

I'm glad we didn't "diversify our portfolio" by staying at 23 and taking another QB lmfao

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm glad we didn't "diversify our portfolio" by staying at 23 and taking another QB lmfao

I thought that was your plan.  😉

I actually thought they might consider taking one late just as a developmental guy to compete with Hall, but they might save that for 2026 (since they currently don't have enough draft picks next year to warrant spending one on a developmental QB). 

As far as Turner, yes, I thought there was zero chance that they'd get him, although as I said on occasion, he'd pop up as available at #11...so I never spent much time looking at him either.  I'll be excited to see how he looks during preseason (as I think he'd actually play). 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 7:50 PM, Purplepride323 said:

Dallas Turner could potentially be the best defensive player from this draft, that’s too good to pass up at pick #17. Also Byron Murphy just got taken at #16 and no other DL would be worth taking that high. Dallas Turner was mocked to go in the top 10 and be the first defensive player taken in the draft, so I was surprised that he fell a bit. I think that the Vikings were surprised as well that’s why we made that move. Even though DT was a bigger need than Edge, Turner is just too good to pass on, and you can never have too many Edge players. Amazing first round by Kwesi. Who would’ve thought that we’d get J.J. McCarthy AND Dallas Turner? Crazy 

The Vikings didn't have any picks in the sweet spot for NT and DT values, and didn't even address that problem in The 4th because they needed a press coverage CB.  So, they'll need to sign an NT or 2 gap DT between now and Camp.  

• Like 1

• VikeManDan changed the title to 1.17 - Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama - #15

in addition to his physical skills, Turner is also quite intelligent and a student of the game. when he arrived at the facility, he didn't want to spend time with chit chat, he wanted a playbook. so he's a good match for the demanding and innovative Flores, as has been said frequently.

he's also very business oriented so will be making a brand for himself as a pro.