4.108 - Khyree Jackson, CB, Oregon - #31

What a devastating and tragic moment. I feel so terribly for his family, the families of his friends, and his team mates. Just senseless stuff - don't get in the car if you've been drinking! I like the idea that someone shared earlier about the Wilfs starting a scholarship fund or some other kind of charity with his family in Khyree's honor. It is unbelievably sad when someone so young goes before they're supposed to, but it's amplified a million fold when it was entirely preventable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I saw the idea on Twitter that the Vikings should make Jackson’s jersey available for purchase, with all proceeds going to the victim’s families. 

that is an excellent idea. and one that allows the public to make a small donation in his name and receive something for it.

there are those of us who are concerned about drunk driving, and then there's the coach of Oklahoma State....

Oklahoma State will not suspend star running back Ollie Gordon II for his recent driving under the influence arrest, coach Mike Gundy announced Tuesday.

“He’s going to play,” Gundy told ESPN on Tuesday. “I’m going to do what we think is best for Oklahoma State football, and I think it’s best for Ollie to play. If there’s any punishment, it’s making him carry the ball 50 times in the first game.”

“I said, ‘You’re not going into hiding. You’re going to face the music. You’re going to have to stand up and talk to people and answer questions. And, hopefully, more than football, you can learn from the situation you’ve been in,’” Gundy said. “Because if not, then we have a real issue. He’s on a shorter leash right now, unfortunately. Because I understand young people, we all make mistakes. If we don’t learn from those, then it’s not really good. We’ve had several conversations. We’ll have more over the next month."

Gordon, 20, was arrested by Oklahoma Highway Patrol officers on June 30 after they observed him swerving out of his lane twice and driving 82 mph in a 65 mph zone. He refused a field sobriety test and was arrested on complaints of DUI under 21 years of age, transporting an open container of alcohol, failing to maintain a single lane of traffic and speeding 16-20 mph over the speed limit, according to a police report. At the Cleveland County jail, Gordon gave a breath sample of .11, which is over the legal limit for an adult 21 and older to operate a vehicle.

Oklahoma State’s decision not to suspend Gordon improves his Heisman Trophy chances. He won the Doak Walker Award as the best running back in college football as a sophomore last season when he rushed for 1,732 yards and 21 touchdowns. Gordon is a top prospect for the 2025 NFL draft.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/oklahoma-state-wont-suspend-top-nfl-prospect-ollie-gordon-in-wake-of-dui-arrest

well, i guess as long as he's on a shorter leash and they're going to continue to have conversations with him, then it's all taken care of.

sheesh....

this Oklahoma State football coach just doesn't know when to shut up. he said this publicly yesterday...

Gundy: “So I looked it up on my phone, ‘What would be the legal limit?,' Like, in Oklahoma, it’s 0.08. And Ollie was 0.1 percent. So I looked it up, and it was based on body weight. Not to get into the legal side of it, but I thought, ‘Really, two or three beers or four.’ I’m not justifying what Ollie did, I’m telling you what decision I made. Well, I thought, ‘I’ve probably done that a thousand times in my life, and you know it was just fine.’ So I got lucky. People get lucky. Ollie made a decision that he wished he could have done better, but when I talked to Ollie, I told him, ‘You’re lucky, you got out light.’"

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/in-excusing-ollie-gordons-arrest-mike-gundy-seems-to-admit-hes-driven-drunk-1-000-times

good gawd, does he even realize what happened to Jackson...?

Talking about digging yourself into a deeper and deeper hole...what a clown. 

My sister and brother in law live an hour away from where Khyree passed, and my brother in law occasionally travels out that way for work.

He mentioned it's a busy area, but at 3am that's probably not the case. Who knows what damage could have happened had this accident occured just a few hours later.

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Gundy: “So I looked it up on my phone, ‘What would be the legal limit?,' Like, in Oklahoma, it’s 0.08. And Ollie was 0.1 percent. So I looked it up, and it was based on body weight. Not to get into the legal side of it, but I thought, ‘Really, two or three beers or four.’

Okie State lists their star running back at 215 pounds. so to attain a BAC of 0.11 (and that was not taken at the scene, but later) he would have consumed the alcohol in seven beers.

i rarely use this word to describe someone, but that coach is a complete moron.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Okie State lists their star running back at 215 pounds. so to attain a BAC of 0.11 (and that was not taken at the scene, but later) he would have consumed the alcohol in seven beers.

He's certainly a piece of work...but he's had fair share of questionable actions in the past, so it shouldn't be all that surprising.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Moron is definitely one way to put it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

I hate the circus around Sanders, but this is just pure ignorance. I think my major gripe is the message it sends to his team. If anyone on his team ever hurts or kills someone, he should be spending jail time with the player.

perhaps a lawyer can make that argument should he or she need to, and even involve the athletic director and the school itself as having culpability for not sanctioning the coach and over riding his lack of discipline in a future situation.

'CuZ It WouLd HeRt R cHAncEs To Win thAT tHeRe HEiserMan TroPhy, Ya KnoWZ....

Edited by vike daddy

23 hours ago, vike daddy said:

there are those of us who are concerned about drunk driving, and then there's the coach of Oklahoma State....

Oklahoma State will not suspend star running back Ollie Gordon II for his recent driving under the influence arrest, coach Mike Gundy announced Tuesday.

“He’s going to play,” Gundy told ESPN on Tuesday. “I’m going to do what we think is best for Oklahoma State football, and I think it’s best for Ollie to play. If there’s any punishment, it’s making him carry the ball 50 times in the first game.”

“I said, ‘You’re not going into hiding. You’re going to face the music. You’re going to have to stand up and talk to people and answer questions. And, hopefully, more than football, you can learn from the situation you’ve been in,’” Gundy said. “Because if not, then we have a real issue. He’s on a shorter leash right now, unfortunately. Because I understand young people, we all make mistakes. If we don’t learn from those, then it’s not really good. We’ve had several conversations. We’ll have more over the next month."

Gordon, 20, was arrested by Oklahoma Highway Patrol officers on June 30 after they observed him swerving out of his lane twice and driving 82 mph in a 65 mph zone. He refused a field sobriety test and was arrested on complaints of DUI under 21 years of age, transporting an open container of alcohol, failing to maintain a single lane of traffic and speeding 16-20 mph over the speed limit, according to a police report. At the Cleveland County jail, Gordon gave a breath sample of .11, which is over the legal limit for an adult 21 and older to operate a vehicle.

Oklahoma State’s decision not to suspend Gordon improves his Heisman Trophy chances. He won the Doak Walker Award as the best running back in college football as a sophomore last season when he rushed for 1,732 yards and 21 touchdowns. Gordon is a top prospect for the 2025 NFL draft.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/oklahoma-state-wont-suspend-top-nfl-prospect-ollie-gordon-in-wake-of-dui-arrest

well, i guess as long as he's on a shorter leash and they're going to continue to have conversations with him, then it's all taken care of.

sheesh....

This nation is about the only one that doesn't have REAL consequences for drunk driving, over and over even. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

This nation is about the only one that doesn't have REAL consequences for drunk driving, over and over even. 

There's a delinquent who hangs out with a good friend of mine once in a while, who has been arrested for drunk driving 4 times. He is free, and all he has to do is complete some treatment that he is currently in and he's back out on the streets. It is pretty unreal.

I saw on a random guy's Snapchat story one time, who had no clue who he was filming, that this guy was getting dragged out of a bar completely blackout drunk. While that was pure coincidence, it was not a surprise. It really is crazy.

• Like 1

Via Fox 5, someone opened fire in the parking lot at Wise High School, striking a man in the chest and a woman in the leg. The shooting happened after the vigil ended.

The man who was shot died later at a hospital. Per the Fox 5 report, the shooting happened despite a strong police presence in and around the vigil.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/vigil-at-khyree-jacksons-high-school-is-marred-by-a-fatal-shooting