2024 UDFA Signings

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

hmmph. Ivan Pace went undrafted because "he was too small to play in the NFL."

sometimes, all the GM's are wrong during the Draft.

And guys like Ivan Pace are the exception, not the rule. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And guys like Ivan Pace are the exception, not the rule. 

It still baffles me that some team didn't at least take a flyer on him with how productive he was in college 

Edited by vikesfan89

In 2023 with the Bruins, the slippery, hand-work magician Murphy registered 61 pressures on a mere 355 pass-rushing snaps (17.1% pressure-creation rate). He knows how to work past his length limitations, and frankly, he's not incredibly small at over 6-2 and 247 pounds. Yes, Minnesota traded up for the highly decorated and athletic Dallas Turner at No. 17. And they signed Andrew Van Ginkel and Jonathan Greenard in free agency. BUT, if any defensive coordinator will know how to deploy him, it's Brian Flores.

CBSSports.com

2024 Undrafted Free Agents

35 — Devron Harper

40 — Donovan Manuel

41 — Trey Knox

45 — K.J. Cloyd

47 — Dwight McGlothern, Jr.

48 — Dallas Gant

57 — Owen Porter

59 — Gabriel Murphy

63 — Jeremy Flax

72 — Doug Nester

73 — Matt Cindric

74 — Spencer Rolland

82 — Jeshaun Jones

85 — Ty James

94 — Taki Taimani

95 — Tyler Manoa

98 — Bo Richter

https://www.vikings.com/news/jersey-numbers-2024-nfl-draft-class-udfas-free-agents-changes

• Like 1

I think one of the ILB's take a spot on the squad. I don't know who or which one, but I do think one of them will.

I also think one of the OTs that are sliding in to guard might show off and make it difficult. Probably Nestor here.

If they trade or cut Patrick Jones, I do think Murphy would have a good shot at making the team then.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

They really like Murphy and Jones!

yeah i posted that in the other thread ( also, shout out to my tweet, thanks TPP). 

Anyways, we knew Murphy was going to get the bag. He was a top rated UDFA on like every board. So that's a big get.

McGlothern is interesting as he was a top rated UDFA, but it seems like the NFL doesn't think much of him with the low $; same for Bo Richter.

Jeshaun Jones I will need to go back and watch a bit more. That's big money, must have meant the competition was fierce for him and Vikings really wanted him. From my initial watch, he won mostly in the slot or up the middle, strong hands, nice agility, some big play in home but nothing crazy in terms of missed tackles.

• Like 2

Here's all of them besides KJ Cloyd.

Gabriel Murphy EDGE - 245k

Jeshaun Jones WR - 235k

Trey Knox TE - 130k

Taki Taimani NT - 100k

Doug Nestor OG - 85k

Dallas Gant ILB - 55k

Jeremy Flax OT/OG - 50k

Tyler Manoa DT - 30k

Owen Porter OLB - 30k

Dwight McGlothern CB - 30k

Devron Harper WR - 15k

Bo Richter OLB - 15k

Matt Cindric OC - 10k

Ty James WR - 5k

Spencer Rolland OL - 5k

• Like 1

Like Pace Jr. in 2023, Murphy was evidently neglected in the draft because of size and perceived strength. General managers believed he was too small for the EDGE spot or not strong enough for sustainability. Still, he was supposed to go off the draftboard sometime in the middle rounds but curiously tumbled into the undrafted pool.

Shortly after the draft, CBS Sports uplifted Murphy’s rookie profile. Chris Trapasso opined, “Murphy can be the Pace of the 2023 UDFA class for the Vikings, and the similarities between the two are striking. Lack of prototypical size and length was probably the reason Murphy went undrafted — Pace knows how that feels — but, like Pace, Murphy was outstandingly productive in college, and, actually where they differ is Murphy tested like a premier athlete for his respective position.”

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/analysis/undrafted-viking-has-fast-track-to-53-man-roster?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Like Pace Jr. in 2023, Murphy was evidently neglected in the draft because of size and perceived strength. General managers believed he was too small for the EDGE spot or not strong enough for sustainability. Still, he was supposed to go off the draftboard sometime in the middle rounds but curiously tumbled into the undrafted pool.

Shortly after the draft, CBS Sports uplifted Murphy’s rookie profile. Chris Trapasso opined, “Murphy can be the Pace of the 2023 UDFA class for the Vikings, and the similarities between the two are striking. Lack of prototypical size and length was probably the reason Murphy went undrafted — Pace knows how that feels — but, like Pace, Murphy was outstandingly productive in college, and, actually where they differ is Murphy tested like a premier athlete for his respective position.”

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/analysis/undrafted-viking-has-fast-track-to-53-man-roster?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Getting high draft pick production out of UDFAs would certainly soften the blow of having limited draft capital this year and next.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Getting high draft pick production out of UDFAs would certainly soften the blow of having limited draft capital this year and next.

just for reference, Ravens run a 3-4 as well. Patrick Queen signed a ILB contract this offseason where he's paid like 13m APY. His PFF grade has never been higher than 73 in any of his seasons.

Ivan Pace earned a 77.1 PFF grade last year.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

think what it does for the team's overall salary amount too, for years.

i think i read lately that UDFA's sign a $2.3 mil contract for four years.

Edited by vike daddy

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

GAS or, Game Athleticism Score, is a non public metric created by PFF that measures in game athleticism through GPS tracking data.

Vikings' UDFA percentile rankings:

Jeshaun Jones – 93rd '22, 81st '23
Trey Knox – 94th
Bo Richter – 99th
Dwight McGlothern – 92nd (!!)

Kwesi was indeed, cookin’ with GAS

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 2