Post-Draft Chat

Grade Telesco's first draft as Raider GM  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Telesco's first draft as Raider GM

1 hour ago, Roninho said:

I'm not sure it would have been a small trade up with the Jets. The Vikings only needed to pay small value because it was a no brainer for the Jets: it was 1 spot and the Jets knew 4sure they could get the guy they wanted anyway. Basically a free 4+5th.

In our case the Jets would not know who would have been available, so you dont make that trade as the Jets unless you get big value imo.

That is very true, both from our perspective in the price to trade up and also, as you point out, the Jets may not have wanted to drop down as far. It's easy from the couch I know and that criticism might be a little harsh from me, hope we don't come to rue that lack of movement!

The draft was good. JPJ is my favorite pick like many have said. I am fine with the Bowers pick, but I still have questions regarding the opportunity cost and how good of a prospect he really is. I never heard of Glaze before, but he looks like as good a tackle prospect as you could get in round 3. I wish they added more speed at receiver. I am fine not picking a QB.

My biggest takeaway, and disappointment, is how much confidence the team has in Minshew. Telesco said in his latest press conference that Minshew is the presumptive starter. Is Minshew that good and O'Connell that bad for there not to be an open competition in camp? In that case, I guess it makes sense that speed at receiver was not a priority. 

• Like 1

Solid draft, initially sceptical on the Bowers pick but seeing Getsy uses 12 personnel a lot then it makes sense. We needed to build depth on the OLine which we did and I thought we needed WR but Bowers covers that. 

I like Richardson wasn’t sure where he would go but I’d expect him to contribute on ST initially. Still think we need a nickel type CB to back up Hobbs given Facyson, Webb, Bennett & Richardson are all outside corners. 

Glaze is a difficult one as most projected him as a guard but we announced him as a tackle, definitely one for the future and there wasn’t much left at tackle.We might add a vet at RT. 

Eichenberg is a football player and given we don’t have many Lbs signed for ‘25 it makes sense to get one. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I been thinking who’s draft I liked better this year ap/telesco vs last year jmd/Ziegs 

1st rd- slight edge to ap/t

2nd- wash

3rd- jmd/z 

4th- jmd/z

5th-ap/t

6th-wash

7th-ap/t

I for one absolutely detested Wilson last year. 

1st: Ap/T. I called Wilson a bust way before the draft. Absolute night and day difference of a pick for me.

2nd: slight AP/T. To be clear, I loved the Mayer pick, but JPJ was one of my absolute favorite picks by any team. 

3rd: JMD/Z:  only because of hindsight with Tucker. I really didn’t like the pick at the time. I feel all 3 players selected were over drafted.

4th: wash. Feels like dejavu 

5th: Ap/T. Wasn’t excited about AOC. I like Eichenberg a lot.

6th: JMD/Z.  I liked the Burney pick a bunch. Don’t know much on Laube, but looks like a fit. 

7th: AP/T: upside guys in the 7th.  Plus I like Taylor dude as he’s a local fan favorite where I live.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, reddevil said:

Very satisfied. I really wanted a QB - but I'm glad now, on reflection that we stayed out of the madness as it allowed us to benefit from it in the shape of Bowers. And that's where it starts for me. In not getting distracted, being disciplined and true to his principles, Telesco made an outstanding choice. I was totally shocked by the pick, but once I had processed it I was buzzing - both for the player and because it showed why Telesco is admired for his early drafting. He focuses single mindedly on acquiring talent.

Following the Bowers pick with JPJ showed that commitment too - but with the added bonus of it being in a position of need. We now have a young, talented group of olineman who, if we continue to invest next year (a la Steelers) can be the foundation of our team for years. 

I am meh on Glaze - but understood the rationale once the last remaining OTs began to go. He was their preference and with Christian Jones dropping for whatever reason - perhaps there weren't that many alternatives. Listening to Dane Brugler, who said he has all the tools and, coupled with the promising pressure stats where he grades out as one of the best over the past 2 years (one of those years being at RT), it is clear there is something there to work with and he comes straight in to compete with Munford at RT. Let the best man win.

From there on out it was a stream of sensible picks with a mix of targeting the secondary with HWS potential upside (Richardson, Taylor, Devonshire) and specific role players in Laube and Eichenberg - both whop perform their very niche role to a high level.

Culture wise, we have brought in guys that clearly love football - particularly Bowers and JPJ - and I'm sure AP had a large part to play in Eichenberg who seems the same.

B+ for me. Only down from an A as I would have probably liked them to swap the CB/OT pick order at that point and wanted to come away with at least one of the upside DTs or Edges that seemed to slip. 

Perfectly sums up my feelings on the draft 

1 hour ago, 101Raider said:

I for one absolutely detested Wilson last year. 

1st: Ap/T. I called Wilson a bust way before the draft. Absolute night and day difference of a pick for me.

2nd: slight AP/T. To be clear, I loved the Mayer pick, but JPJ was one of my absolute favorite picks by any team. 

3rd: JMD/Z:  only because of hindsight with Tucker. I really didn’t like the pick at the time. I feel all 3 players selected were over drafted.

4th: wash. Feels like dejavu 

5th: Ap/T. Wasn’t excited about AOC. I like Eichenberg a lot.

6th: JMD/Z.  I liked the Burney pick a bunch. Don’t know much on Laube, but looks like a fit. 

7th: AP/T: upside guys in the 7th.  Plus I like Taylor dude as he’s a local fan favorite where I live.

Interesting 

28 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Interesting 

And this was my whole thing in the beginning in terms of trading draft picks for quarterbacks with where we were at. The reason why everybody would rather trade picks for a quarterback it's not only because of the needed quarterback it's because we've seen what the Raiders do with draft picks so our assumption is draft picks are valuable because the Raiders don't draft well. But like in hindsight would you have given up Powers Johnson and Brock Bowers and a first and second from next year to get JJ McCarthy was there being a 30% chance that Aiden O'Connell potentially beats him out? Those are questions that a competent GM thinks about. 

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

You liked that they basically just punted away any chance of being competitive next year? And basically settled on wasting Adams final season in Vegas?

Minshew just got Pittman paid with 109 receptions. The Colts were very competitive and almost made the playoffs if it wasn't for Stroud.

3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I been thinking who’s draft I liked better this year ap/telesco vs last year jmd/Ziegs 

1st rd- slight edge to ap/t

2nd- wash

3rd- jmd/z 

4th- jmd/z

5th-ap/t

6th-wash

7th-ap/t

This is interesting, thinking about each draft Telesco & Pierce v Pats West:  

Round 1: Wilson v Bowers is a clear win for Telesco/Pierce to me. One was over drafted and one was a BPA that was a great value. Of course, if Wilson becomes a Pro Bowl DE that would be more valuable than a TE imo but is that likely?

Round 2 : Mayer v JPJ is a tough one. I love both players and both should probably have gone earlier and we’re good value. I’d give the edge to JPJ as I think he’s got All Pro potential. Advantage Telesco/Pierce.

Round 3 : Young & Tucker v Glaze is another tough one. I simply don’t know enough about Glaze but Tucker did make some nice plays and had some flashes for sure. A starting RT would be more valuable but I’m sceptical Glaze is a starter so I’ll give this one to Pats West.

Round 4 : Bennett & O’Connell v Richardson. A QB that can start in the 4th and a CB that played in several games? Advantage Pats West.

Round 5 : Smith v Eichenberg. Smith underwhelmed and didn’t get on the field even though I initially liked the pick. I think Eichenberg will make more initial impact but Smith has a chance to be better long term maybe? At this stage, advantage Telesco & Pierce.

Round 6 : Burney v Laube. Both figure to be ST players but maybe Laube could be better value in kick return and as a receiving back? Slight edge Telesco & Pierce.

Round 7 : Nesta v Taylor. I still think Nesta has starter potential or at least rotation potential, Taylor is probably a ST maven at best, advantage Pats West.

It’s quite close but before this class has taken any snaps I’d give the edge to Telesco and Pierce but with a big asterix that nobody from this class has taken a snap!

8 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

The draft was good. JPJ is my favorite pick like many have said. I am fine with the Bowers pick, but I still have questions regarding the opportunity cost and how good of a prospect he really is. I never heard of Glaze before, but he looks like as good a tackle prospect as you could get in round 3. I wish they added more speed at receiver. I am fine not picking a QB.

My biggest takeaway, and disappointment, is how much confidence the team has in Minshew. Telesco said in his latest press conference that Minshew is the presumptive starter. Is Minshew that good and O'Connell that bad for there not to be an open competition in camp? In that case, I guess it makes sense that speed at receiver was not a priority. 

Wait when did he say that Minshew is the premsuptive starter?