Post Draft Thoughts

dll2000

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have a handle on the DL that might be available as we get closer to the season?  It's a little surprising we still haven't really replaced Justin Jones or Ngakoue.  I didn't want the Bears to spend big on it this offseason but at this point they are pretty much committed to getting some leftover FA guys.  As far as I can see our line is going to be something like Walker/Billings/Dexter/Sweat. Hopefully Booker can work in at DE but man,  are they counting on Pickens or Robinson to show up this year or something?

55 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Anyone have a handle on the DL that might be available as we get closer to the season?  It's a little surprising we still haven't really replaced Justin Jones or Ngakoue.  I didn't want the Bears to spend big on it this offseason but at this point they are pretty much committed to getting some leftover FA guys.  As far as I can see our line is going to be something like Walker/Billings/Dexter/Sweat. Hopefully Booker can work in at DE but man,  are they counting on Pickens or Robinson to show up this year or something?

I think they'll end up signing Ngakoue (unfortunately)

16 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I think they'll end up signing Ngakoue (unfortunately)

It seems like a pretty high chance.  It is funny that the most memorable fact about him is "he's had at least seven sacks everywhere he goes!" *

*except here, with us, recently

Really hoping the DE equivalent of Josh Sitton shakes loose.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

It seems like a pretty high chance.  It is funny that the most memorable fact about him is "he's had at least seven sacks everywhere he goes!" *

LOL

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

One would hope with Ngakoue (were he brought back) is that a factor in his struggles were that when he was healthy we were seldom playing with a lead, and even more seldomly playing with a lead that dictated must pass situations on the other side where he could focus on just rushing the passer. By the time we started seeing more success and those types of scenario the back half of the year he was hurt and out for the year. One would think more such situations would arise this year with what we hope will be a more consistently productive offense and a better overall defense. 

43 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

One would hope with Ngakoue (were he brought back) is that a factor in his struggles were that when he was healthy we were seldom playing with a lead, and even more seldomly playing with a lead that dictated must pass situations on the other side where he could focus on just rushing the passer. By the time we started seeing more success and those types of scenario the back half of the year he was hurt and out for the year. One would think more such situations would arise this year with what we hope will be a more consistently productive offense and a better overall defense. 

I never really watched him until last year, is he more of a clean-up sack player?  That honestly might work given Sweat on the inside and the backs doing what they can to make coverage sacks happen.  Thinking about that kinda makes me wish Kirk Cousins was still in the division.  

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

he also missed more games last year with the broken ankle than he previously had in any other season of his career. he also primarily played LDE across from RTs most of his career (i know that's less of a thing nowadays with RTs being as good if not already equal to LTs)

imo YN is what we should hope Booker becomes. a secondary pass rusher that can get you 7-10 sacks a year. if there's anything more than that, fantastic.

i think i would still prefer campbell or ogbah at this point, but if YN comes back, i'm good with Walker being our DE on 1st/2nd down, then bumping inside and having YN coming in on 3rd down/passing downs and being a PRS

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

he also missed more games last year with the broken ankle than he previously had in any other season of his career. he also primarily played LDE across from RTs most of his career (i know that's less of a thing nowadays with RTs being as good if not already equal to LTs)

imo YN is what we should hope Booker becomes. a secondary pass rusher that can get you 7-10 sacks a year. if there's anything more than that, fantastic.

i think i would still prefer campbell or ogbah at this point, but if YN comes back, i'm good with Walker being our DE on 1st/2nd down, then bumping inside and having YN coming in on 3rd down/passing downs and being a PRS

DE does seem very thin at moment even for a rotation.  Walker talentwise is your rotational guy.  Not your primary starter.

Booker I would think is a redshirt player.  If he does well in 2024 that would be a surprise.

There is nobody else really.  Robinson is not good.   I don't even know who the other guys are.   

If Poles does not trade for Sweat then no. 9 had to be used on DE or the defense was going to be bad.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

DE does seem very thin at moment even for a rotation.  Walker talentwise is your rotational guy.  Not your primary starter.

Booker I would think is a redshirt player.  If he does well in 2024 that would be a surprise.

There is nobody else really.  Robinson is not good.   I don't even know who the other guys are.   

If Poles does not trade for Sweat then no. 9 had to be used on DE or the defense was going to be bad.

I made a joke that the best option left at EDGE was S Jamal Adams a while back, but with what is left that probably isn't that far off. 

Aside from Ngakoue there is Emmanuel Ogbah, Carl Lawson, Jerry Hughes, and a few OLBs like Markus Golden and Shaq Lawson. 

To be completely honest the best immediate option may actually be to sign Calais Campbell and put him at DT and kick Dexter Jr to DE. Eberflus had a fair bit of success with Denico Autry being moved to EDGE and Dexter is 10 times the athlete Autry has ever been. He can still kick in like Izzy use to (and McPhee though he was technically an OLB, but still). 

I think they know there's no Super Bowl hopes this year so I don't think they'd take a bigger contract like that though. This will still be a big year for development so I don't think Dexter would get moved much either. 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I made a joke that the best option left at EDGE was S Jamal Adams a while back, but with what is left that probably isn't that far off. 

Aside from Ngakoue there is Emmanuel Ogbah, Carl Lawson, Jerry Hughes, and a few OLBs like Markus Golden and Shaq Lawson. 

To be completely honest the best immediate option may actually be to sign Calais Campbell and put him at DT and kick Dexter Jr to DE. Eberflus had a fair bit of success with Denico Autry being moved to EDGE and Dexter is 10 times the athlete Autry has ever been. He can still kick in like Izzy use to (and McPhee though he was technically an OLB, but still). 

I think they know there's no Super Bowl hopes this year so I don't think they'd take a bigger contract like that though. This will still be a big year for development so I don't think Dexter would get moved much either. 

I don't want to move Dexter to DE.  Let him continue to learn 3 tech.  

Ngakoue actually started looking decent for first time right before he got hurt.  But coming off that injury?  I'd pass.

I would sign Calais Campbell.   You need another rotational guy.   Our DL would be big at least.   Run D should be number 1 in league with that move.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I have no interest in moving Dexter to a new position. The guy showed dominat flashes at UT and he should be further groomed there. It is still the most impactful position in Eberflus' defense. Can he slide out to DE in some packages? Sure, DL moves around all the time, but hes not built to be out there the majority of the time.

I really dont understand what the hold up with Ogbah is at this point. (honestly the entire vet DE market) But he would be the best fit left out there on the FA market. And we would probably be the best fit left for him as well. But he isnt the only option at DE, ofcourse Yannick is an option, just not a great one. I think the next best fit is Carl Lawson, but Ive mentioned before Id take Charles Harris as well if we are just looking for a solid rotational body (would probably be the cheapest for the production as well)

If we are being honest, there just isnt any DTs that are really worth it on the market, but if you get a DE to the mix and Walker can play more reps at DT, it helps out both spots

Id imagine we are scouring the waiver wire for DL come cut time

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I would sign Calais Campbell.   You need another rotational guy.   Our DL would be big at least.   Run D should be number 1 in league with that move.

FWIW the Bears run D was 1st in the league in yards allowed last year without Campbell. 

58 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I have no interest in moving Dexter to a new position. The guy showed dominat flashes at UT and he should be further groomed there. It is still the most impactful position in Eberflus' defense. Can he slide out to DE in some packages? Sure, DL moves around all the time, but hes not built to be out there the majority of the time.

I really dont understand what the hold up with Ogbah is at this point. (honestly the entire vet DE market) But he would be the best fit left out there on the FA market. And we would probably be the best fit left for him as well. But he isnt the only option at DE, ofcourse Yannick is an option, just not a great one. I think the next best fit is Carl Lawson, but Ive mentioned before Id take Charles Harris as well if we are just looking for a solid rotational body (would probably be the cheapest for the production as well)

If we are being honest, there just isnt any DTs that are really worth it on the market, but if you get a DE to the mix and Walker can play more reps at DT, it helps out both spots

Id imagine we are scouring the waiver wire for DL come cut time

I'd rather keep him there as well, I just am surprised by the lack of movement the Bears have had at DE. Sweat is great but he isn't a prime Peppers or Mack, the dude (the whole defense really) would benefit a lot from a solid EDGE opposite of him. Some of the guys like Epenesa were cheaper than expected too. I like that Poles doesn't seem to get suckered into big crappy contracts but EDGE is a place where I don't mind splurging a bit over on. Especially with a rookie QB. 

Ogbah was someone I thought would be signed rather quickly. Not a stud but he seemed like a solid player when I (rarely) watched him, and I was a fan pre-draft too. 

Agreed, Walker seems to be best at 3T, but I am hoping Pickens makes some strides in year two. I still think he is likely a 3 year project to see what he is as a DT though, they take a bit longer to adjust IMO. Starting NFL OL are just too strong, athletic, and technically sound to bully like most drafted DTs are accustomed to. 

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

FWIW the Bears run D was 1st in the league in yards allowed last year without Campbell. 

Yes, even better with Campbell added to mix.  He is a monster human even at his age.

With our big LBs secondary wouldn't even have to worry about run.   

Remember Eddie jackson taking a physical beating trying to tackle bigger RBs down in down out because we couldn't stop run some years.  It really affected his coverage abilities I think. 

Edited by dll2000