53 Man Roster thread

Old Guy

44 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

What is the plan if Tom isn't a go in week 1? Everybody is expecting him to be a go, but we've been down this road before. 

Is there even a decent backup RT on the roster? 

Probably my biggest concern heading into the season. Second is making sure Newman gets cut. 

Hopefully Jordan Morgan would be up to the task. 

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

What is the plan if Tom isn't a go in week 1? Everybody is expecting him to be a go, but we've been down this road before. 

Is there even a decent backup RT on the roster? 

Probably my biggest concern heading into the season. Second is making sure Newman gets cut. 

Present Options:
1. Whichever of Morgan or Walker that doesn't win the LT battle in TC.
2. Dillard
3. Newman
4. Jenkins(with someone like Newman or Monk slipping in at LG)

1 seems the most sensible. I don't consider C. Jones/Tenuta to be serious candidates at this point.

My far too early 53 roster.

OFFENCE [24]
[QB] Love | Clifford | Pratt [3]
[RB] Jacobs | Dillon | Lloyd [3]
[TE] Musgrave | Kraft | Sims | T.Davis [4]
[WR] Watson | Doubs | Reed | Wicks | Melton [5]
[OL] Morgan | Jenkins | Myers | Rhyan | Tom | Walker | Glover | Monk | Jennings [9]

DEFENCE [26]
[SAF] McKinney | Bullard | E.Williams | Oladapo [4]
[CB] Alexander | Stokes | Valentine | Balentine | Nixon | Rochell [6]
[LB] Walker | Cooper | McDuffie | Hopper | Welch | Wilson [6]
[EDGE] Preston | Gary | Van Ness | Engabare | Cox [5]
[DL] Clark | Wyatt | Slaton | Brooks | Wooden [5]

SPECIAL [3]
[LS] Orzech
[K] Carlson
[P] Whelan

Notes:
- Due to the new special teams rules the makeup of the roster changes drastically with fewer WR/CB body types and more TE/LB body types. We don't need to stock as many gunners and jammers as we have had in the past. For now Welch and Wilson is in. Don't be surprised if a different LB sneak in as Wilson is 29 years old, we might want a younger body in there such as Goforth.

- If there is a surprise cut, it might be Wooden. He's potentially a man without a position. He was drafted to play the 3-4 but now with Hafley 4-3 system he might not be athletic enough to play off the edge and might be too light to play the interior. We'll see.

- I struggled between Rochell and King. We still need gunners/jammers for punt teams. Rochell looked good last season and he has 4.4 speed. There's not much of a need for one on kickoff teams but you do need a guy with the speed to chase down the returner if he breaks through the line. If everyone has a LB/TE body type then there's little hope of one chasing the returner down. That valuable roster spot has to be a guy who is fast and physical. At the moment i'm giving the nod to Rochell. The gunners and jammers on my roster are probably Rochell, Balentine and Valentine/Stokes.

- The WR group seem to pick itself. Heath can count himself unlucky here. The number of WRs and the ST rule changes hurt him here. I considered dropping Rochell for him but Heath loses out due to his "lack of speed". If we cut Wooden/Wilson perhaps he can sneak in.

- I feel like for the first time in years we have multiple solid returner options with Nixon, Reed and Melton. We have some interesting ones such as Stanley who is apparently pretty good according to his Dad. The new kick off rules will make the returner "feel" like he's running through the line of scrimmage which might suit RB types with good vision, agility and acceleration so perhaps Lloyd and Howard might show us something here.

- I don't think my roster selection is controversial overall. However if I had to pick a dark horse it would be Kenneth Odumegwu beating out Brenton Cox.

- I can't see us going with just two QBs. Sure it might happen but we invested draft picks in our backups and we want to develop them to become tradable assets. Gute has been open about wanting us to get back to drafting and developing QBs so he will be following through his plan with his roster selection.

- The offensive line. All the names I picked are fairly obvious I think. I'm actually worried about our interior depth because if any one of our new rookies Glover, Monk and Jennings struggle then Newman will probably make the roster. Yuck! I hope this does not happen. I have to concede that our interior depth is highly inexperienced. Perhaps Gute will seek to address this with waiver claims after cut downs. The tackles [Morgan, Tom and Walker] are obvious selections but currently can't find room for a 4th one to make 10 OL, perhaps Glover is a tackle only prospect so we would have four anyway but that still leaves us short in the interior.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Chili said:

My far too early 53 roster.

OFFENCE [24]
[WR] Watson | Doubs | Reed | Wicks | Melton [5]
[OL] Morgan | Jenkins | Myers | Rhyan | Tom | Walker | Glover | Monk | Jennings [9]

DEFENCE [26]
[LB] Walker | Cooper | McDuffie | Hopper | Welch | Wilson [6]

SPECIAL [3]
[LS] Orzech
[K] Carlson
[P] Whelan

Notes:
- Due to the new special teams rules the makeup of the roster changes drastically with fewer WR/CB body types and more TE/LB body types. We don't need to stock as many gunners and jammers as we have had in the past. For now Welch and Wilson is in. Don't be surprised if a different LB sneak in as Wilson is 29 years old, we might want a younger body in there such as Goforth.

- If there is a surprise cut, it might be Wooden. He's potentially a man without a position. He was drafted to play the 3-4 but now with Hafley 4-3 system he might not be athletic enough to play off the edge and might be too light to play the interior. We'll see.

- I struggled between Rochell and King. We still need gunners/jammers for punt teams. Rochell looked good last season and he has 4.4 speed. There's not much of a need for one on kickoff teams but you do need a guy with the speed to chase down the returner if he breaks through the line. If everyone has a LB/TE body type then there's little hope of one chasing the returner down. That valuable roster spot has to be a guy who is fast and physical. At the moment i'm giving the nod to Rochell. The gunners and jammers on my roster are probably Rochell, Balentine and Valentine/Stokes.

- The WR group seem to pick itself. Heath can count himself unlucky here. The number of WRs and the ST rule changes hurt him here. I considered dropping Rochell for him but Heath loses out due to his "lack of speed". If we cut Wooden/Wilson perhaps he can sneak in.

- I feel like for the first time in years we have multiple solid returner options with Nixon, Reed and Melton. We have some interesting ones such as Stanley who is apparently pretty good according to his Dad. The new kick off rules will make the returner "feel" like he's running through the line of scrimmage which might suit RB types with good vision, agility and acceleration so perhaps Lloyd and Howard might show us something here.

- I don't think my roster selection is controversial overall. However if I had to pick a dark horse it would be Kenneth Odumegwu beating out Brenton Cox.

- I can't see us going with just two QBs. Sure it might happen but we invested draft picks in our backups and we want to develop them to become tradable assets. Gute has been open about wanting us to get back to drafting and developing QBs so he will be following through his plan with his roster selection.

- The offensive line. All the names I picked are fairly obvious I think. I'm actually worried about our interior depth because if any one of our new rookies Glover, Monk and Jennings struggle then Newman will probably make the roster. Yuck! I hope this does not happen. I have to concede that our interior depth is highly inexperienced. Perhaps Gute will seek to address this with waiver claims after cut downs. The tackles [Morgan, Tom and Walker] are obvious selections but currently can't find room for a 4th one to make 10 OL, perhaps Glover is a tackle only prospect so we would have four anyway but that still leaves us short in the interior.

Nice effort as always. 

I think because of the special teams rules, Heath is kept as a 6th WR for special teams. I'm guessing King makes it over Rochelle. King is a backup in the slot.

I'm not for keeping 3 QB's unless we go and get a vet back up who could actually hold down the fort should Love miss a game or two. I think Clifton could make it through the waiver wire, but maybe not. 

I'm also willing to admit not of my notes may come true and you could have nailed it if we go into week 1 healthy. 

Edited by Old Guy

^So far, King has been working with Nixon at the slot CB spot.  He was held in much higher esteem after his sophomore season than his junior season, so maybe there is something there.  I do question his speed, but perhaps he was hurt during offseason workouts? If it makes any difference he had a much higher RAS than Nixon did coming out of South Carolina, though Nixon was a whole .2 seconds faster in the 40.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

^So far, King has been working with Nixon at the slot CB spot.  He was held in much higher esteem after his sophomore season than his junior season, so maybe there is something there.  I do question his speed, but perhaps he was hurt during offseason workouts? If it makes any difference he had a much higher RAS than Nixon did coming out of South Carolina, though Nixon was a whole .2 seconds faster in the 40.

He's very talented.  Looking forward to seehow he responds to Hefley's coaching in particular.  Hope he balls out and makes the team.  Gute really stocked this secondary the past 2 offseasons.

32 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

On my wish list is a vet that can win you a couple of games if Love misses a few. No point in keeping both Pratt and Clifford

The Packers Have Only One Good Quarterback (msn.com)

I don't think they go the veteran route and want to develop internally.  I also think you give it a few preseason games before making claims neither of the two young guys are good or at least credible backups. Last preseason Clifford played well in the time he was given. Love, hopefully the freshly minted 300 million dollar man, will not see more than a few quarters of action this go around.  Those guys will definitely get a chance to make their case.

On 7/24/2024 at 11:05 PM, Chili said:

My far too early 53 roster (updated on 31/07/24).

OFFENCE [25]
[WR] Watson | Doubs | Reed | Wicks | Melton | DuBose [6]

DEFENCE [25]
[LB] Walker | Cooper | McDuffie | Hopper | Welch [5]

SPECIAL [3]
[LS] Orzech
[K] Carlson
[P] Whelan

I still think with the new kickoff rules and the switch to 4-3 defence will result in us having more LB on the roster but I think i may have overdid it at LB with my initial selection. I went through my likely kickoff lineup and realised that Cooper wasn't on it. As a result i'm able to cut Wilson freeing me up to select a 6th WR.
As to who the 6th WR will be? I honestly cannot decide between Heath and DuBose. If DuBose keep making plays then he will have the edge so I have put him on here for now. I liked his college tape last year and was disappointed when he missed out on the roster.

Generally speaking you want about 10 defensive backs on the final roster and I can't imagine Hafley going with just four corners like we did last year. My roster has 4 safeties and 6 corners. With the switch to the 4-3 and with Hafley DB background, I can see the roster consisting of lots of DB and LB and which will have knock on effects with the rest of the roster.

This is where Olapado will be key as he will moonlight as our 4th SAF and 6th LB as well as being a key player on ST. His versatility will free up a roster spot.

Quick Question:

If you had to drop either Wooden or Cox (what an unfortunate naming combo!) who would it be? Could Wooden serve as our 5th EDGE in a pinch or is he too heavy now? In this scenario dropping Cox would allow us to keep a fatty on the DL, Jonathan Ford. This way it ensures our DL is beefier overall with Wooden providing depth at DE and Ford filling up the interior depth.

Edited by Chili

You might want to take Rochell into consideration when predicting your final 53 man roster. Teams finalise their 53 with a focus on ST by filling the bottom of the roster with gunners and jammers. It pays to keep a close eye on tweets like this whenever this comes up. Rochell was noticeably good on ST when he joined the roster last year and I figured this would likely carry over to this year's training camp. He has 4.4 speed which gives him the edge over other bottom of the roster players such as Heath and DuBose.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chili said:

You might want to take Rochell into consideration when predicting your final 53 man roster. Teams finalise their 53 with a focus on ST by filling the bottom of the roster with gunners and jammers. It pays to keep a close eye on tweets like this whenever this comes up. Rochell was noticeably good on ST when he joined the roster last year and I figured this would likely carry over to this year's training camp. He has 4.4 speed which gives him the edge over other bottom of the roster players such as Heath and DuBose.

You can pencil him into the 53 in if he keeps taking gunner snaps through pre-season.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated roster after Cleveland game:

OFFENCE [25]
[RB] Jacobs | Wilson | Lloyd [3]
[WR] Watson | Doubs | Reed | Wicks | Melton | DuBose [6]

DEFENCE [25]
[CB] Alexander | Stokes | Valentine | Nixon | Ballentine | Rochell [6]
[LB] Walker | Cooper | McDuffie | Hopper | Welch [5]
[EDGE] Preston | Gary | Van Ness | Engabare | Mosby [5]

SPECIAL [3]
[LS] Orzech
[K] Joseph
[P] Whelan

I've updated my roster with three changes, Wilson ahead of Dillon, Mosby instead of Cox and Joseph instead of Carlson.

I'm struggling to get a feel for the OL. I still think we will keep 9 but Glover and Jennings are nowhere to be seen so at this current moment in time someone else will take their places but I'm struggling to figure out who. Newman probably, Caleb Jones may have use for short yardage situations and field goal blocking perhaps? I refuse to believe Dillard has a shot despite playing with the ones and twos.

Lloyd niggling injuries might force us to carry 4 RBs which will have massive knock on effect on the rest of the roster, i'm honestly not sure who I would drop for another RB.

As for WR, DuBose probably played his way onto the roster and it got me asking this question....do we NEED Melton? we already got Watson and Reed for the end around and deep throws, you also got Wicks and Reed for slot work. Heath has value with his blocking and has shown some chops catching the ball. He probably provides more special teams value too. Melton was a mid-season pick up that contributed more than expected however this is a new season and circumstances may have changed. What was needed then may no longer be needed now.

• Like 1